Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,
The missus and I went to the Papplewick Pumping station by Nottingham a couple of weeks ago and WOW!!! What a great day out it was. So, I thought a few of you guys would like to come along to the next one when they stoke up the Lancashire boilers to steam up the two engines into life, they are huge and you can get right up to them while they are in motion.
To give you some idea how big these are the top beams weigh in at 13 tons a piece and the engines are around 40ft in height.
The engine rooms were built in Victorian times with no expense spared and bring to mind that something like this will never be built again.
If you have kids then this will be their bag on a grand scale as it cannot fail to impress. There is a nice walk around the lake a couple of other steam engines that are up and running and a little cafe or nice places to sit with a picnic amongst the steam and smoke!!
If there are a few of us then they will let us park within the grounds rather than in the main carpark. The following day they have the TVR club there so it would be nice for the TT's to put in an appearance the day before.
If we could meet up around 12:00 midday (exact time TBC) that would be nice.
Let me know if your up for it and I will start a list. However, if not enough folks are up for this as it is not really car related then no problem my end for me to think of something else that maybe of more interest.
Here is the link to the sit and a few pics of our visit.

http://www.papplewickpumpingstation.co.uk/

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Sound interesting Phill, I think I will be interested in this one, just need to check the diary with the secretary :wink:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Phil,

Yep, Rachel and I have visited the pump rooms in the past when camping up that direction. We weren't there when it was operational but as you said they are very impressive buildings and a feat of engineering for the era.

Put us down as maybe for it at the moment, seeing as it is the weekend after we get back from our holiday, so we might not be up for it.

Cheers,
Stuart

1 - 6 of 6 Posts