Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I've just picked up a lovely 2007 3.2 coupe and I'm over the moon with it. I've been lurking in the background reading all the useful posts and have to say this is a really great forum.

Anywho, I was playing with the settings on my headunit trying to get the Bose system to sound a wee bit better and when I faded to the rear there was no sound coming from the speakers. I could hear the distant thump of the sub in the boot but definitely no sound from the speakers in the rear quarter panels.Only the front speakers seem to be working. Does anyone know what may be causing this - hopefully it's just a loose wire rather than a faulty component!

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
8,674 Posts
I don't think it's a fault, the rears are used for bass only, there's no sub in the boot of a coupe :)

·
Registered
984 Posts
Just being a bit thick here, so please excuse the question :oops: But in my TTS it only has BOSE speakers in the front of the car (in the doors). The speakers in the dash and the rear of the car are not BOSE? That's my understanding anyway :?

·
Super Moderator
8,674 Posts
Piker Mark said:
Just being a bit thick here, so please excuse the question :oops: But in my TTS it only has BOSE speakers in the front of the car (in the doors). The speakers in the dash and the rear of the car are not BOSE? That's my understanding anyway :?
How do you know? There are only badges on the door ones :)

·
Registered
984 Posts
Ikon66 said:
Piker Mark said:
How do you know? There are only badges on the door ones :)
If I send all the sound to the rear speakers there's a marked difference in sound quality. That and I asked a chap at Stansted Audi and he told me the only speakers that are BOSE are those in the door. Hence the question :roll: of course I could always get the screwdriver out and have a look. On second thoughts... so, please can someone enlighten me?

·
Registered
148 Posts
My story starts with no rear speaker sound in my Bose system, not that it's overly relevant but mine's a 2006 2.0T. Slowly things got worse whereby the base stopped working and the speakers buzzed. I've known for a while this is a fault of the amplifier, so I decided to remove the amp to try and clean it up - I discovered a lot of moisture corrosion. Audi weren't interested, other than wanting £606 for a new one.

Cleaning actually didn't help, just made matters worse by having no sound whatsoever in the whole system, but at least the buzzing stopped.

Fortunately I acquired Robokn's amp and now things are back to normal, incredible sound (ok, not a patch on Rob's system) and has made me realise it was perhaps poorly for some time, it never sounded this good.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi everyone. Sorry to drag this old thread up but it sounds extremely similar to my problem.

I took it in to a car stereo shop today (same ones who fitted my kenwood) and they said it was the amp to the rear speakers that had gone. Same problem, no sound in back and can only hear thump when I fade to back. They didn't know if it has a 5 channel amp for both frn and back or a separate amp to rear and to front speakers? (Can anyone answer that - I have a mk2 2008 coupe)

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows if I should spend the money to replace that amp and if it will sort the problem?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
You've 2 choices really....buy a new one from Audi at approx 650 or source a second hand one for roughly half that, I took option 2 after suffering a similar experience, just be patient on eBay, search every night and one will appear when you least expect it, I waited 4 weeks before getting one from the states with the correct part number...

Search the forum as there's loads about this...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Dayer2910 said:
You've 2 choices really....buy a new one from Audi at approx 650 or source a second hand one for roughly half that, I took option 2 after suffering a similar experience, just be patient on eBay, search every night and one will appear when you least expect it, I waited 4 weeks before getting one from the states with the correct part number...

Search the forum as there's loads about this...
or third option - don't waste any more money on audi systems - replace the audi amp with a decent one and do the speakers at the same time! :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thank you for the reply guys. What are the chances that the problem is the amp? I don't want to spend £300+ on an amp second hand only for it be the speakers that are gone?

Also, is it easy to get to to take a look? I hear water damage is common so I'd like to take a look. Anyone know how?

·
Registered
256 Posts
TT-driver said:
It's multi channel.
Thank you.

What are the chances that the problem is the amp? I don't want to spend £300+ on an amp second hand only for it be the speakers that are gone?

Also, is it easy to get to to take a look? I hear water damage is common so I'd like to take a look. Anyone know how?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
dan_saviola said:
Thank you.

What are the chances that the problem is the amp? I don't want to spend £300+ on an amp second hand only for it be the speakers that are gone?

Take the left hand panel off the boot and it's at the back by the read light cluster - you'll have to disconnect the cables, unbolt it, then take the heatsink "cover" off and have a look inside.

If you don't feel comfortable doing that then see if any one local has a VCDS - if it's the amp it will have logged errors in there.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
dan_saviola said:
Thank you for the reply guys. What are the chances that the problem is the amp? I don't want to spend £300+ on an amp second hand only for it be the speakers that are gone?

Have a look at my amp pics in this thread, this is generally what happens, heat equals condensation equals corroded circuits....classic amp fault resulting in crackling speakers and eventually no sound from rears or fronts, mine went in that order..

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=319252

1 - 20 of 25 Posts