Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Audi TT 2.0 BWA 2008
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I bought my TT used with 97.000km (60.000 miles).
2.0TFSI DSG BWA 2008 (not quatro).
I bought it 1st April 2020.

One week after I did a full service in order to have a starting point with the car.
Oils, filters, DSG oils and filter, new thermostat (was faulty), cam follower, timing belt kit.

I am not sure, but maybe the problem described below started after the service.
I can't remember having it before. I think that I would have noticed...but it was so short period of time (1 week), so maybe it were already there.

It is not an uncommon problem reading through some already existing threads.

Problem is a weird noise I hear when DSG changes to even number of gears when in idling revs.
It is most noticeable when coming to a stop and the gear drops from 3rd to 2nd with idling revs (without accelerator pedal being pushed).
If I downshift manually while accelerating I don't hear the noise.

Noise is like something metallic locking into position.
Some people describe it as a clunk noise, but I am not sure what this word means (I am Greek).

I also hear the noise when I am on downslope and the gear changes from 3rd to 4th, again without acceleration.

Please help. What are your thoughts? Do you have the same?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Did you do the dsg reset with vcds plus the test drive afterwards?

Check my thread here. I have the same car. Been driving it since 2009.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Audi TT 2.0 BWA 2008
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I did the reset, but nothing happened.

After reading your thread a while ago, I checked my sway bar drop links and they need replacement.

So, tomorrow I will buy new ones and maybe I will try to replace them myself. Seems easy.

Let’s see if it will get better.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Easy but you should put a jack under both wheels (sides) to make the job easier. Raise both wheels to the same height.

·
Registered
Audi TT 2.0 BWA 2008
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Find a thread that you opened about changing the drop links.

I ordered LEMFORDER drop links (45€ pair). I will go to a garage next Wednesday to fit them as they charge only 20€.

I will post after.

I am not too optimistic that this will solve the noise problem, but as they need replacement and are not that expensive, worth the replacement.

·
Registered
Audi TT 2.0 BWA 2008
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I changed the drop links myself finally.
Unfortunately, problem did not solved!

What is next?

·
Registered
464 Posts
The noise is less important than how the gearbox actually operates--is it jerky, clunky in operation at all?

Unless the noise is really loud, I wouldn't worry about it too much if it's working fine otherwise.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I don’t agree. If it’s clunking something is wrong. Solenoids are getting bad. It will work fine clunking until it starts jerking. Better catch it now than later. There is a link for a guy who diagnose and help if you send him in exchange of some paypal drinks. He can even sell you the right solenoids. I will repost the link later.

·
Registered
Audi TT 2.0 BWA 2008
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The noise is less important than how the gearbox actually operates--is it jerky, clunky in operation at all?

Unless the noise is really loud, I wouldn't worry about it too much if it's working fine otherwise.
I don’t have experience with DSG.
It seems to me that other than this clunking it works ok.

Another issue is that it is very slow on kickdowns. When I want to overtake, it is slow at changing/selecting gear.

·
Registered
Audi TT 2.0 BWA 2008
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don’t agree. If it’s clunking something is wrong. Solenoids are getting bad. It will work fine clunking until it starts jerking. Better catch it now than later. There is a link for a guy who diagnose and help if you send him in exchange of some paypal drinks. He can even sell you the right solenoids. I will repost the link later.

Please if you find the link post it here.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Did it at a local garage. They used AUDI’s fluids and filter.
How many liters did they put back in? Do you have this info?
Can you ask them about how they checked the oil level at the end of the oil change?
Putting back the same amount as what was in is not the right way if you don’t know the history of the car or you haven’t driven it for a long time. The oil level should be checked according the dsg oil service guide.

·
Registered
Audi TT 2.0 BWA 2008
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They put back in 4,5lt.
They did it according to the DSG oil service guide. I don’t remember the procedure now, but at that time I had read and watching if they did it the right way.

they didn’t know the history of the car. What I know is that it was the 2nd DSG service of the car. First one was at 59k km.

They also checked back then the engine mounts (advised me to change them - haven’t do it yet) and drive shafts which were ok. Maybe a little play on the drivers side drive shaft but not important.

I have also visited a dedicated store that rebuilds DSG transmission and they told me that the noise is from inside the gearbox. Advised me rebuild gearbox for 3k €. I didn’t trusted them.

·
Registered
Audi TT 2.0 BWA 2008
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you mean the adaptation?
I have done it once. I don’t remember if I did it before or after the oil service.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Here is the guy’s website

You have the contact info there

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Do you mean the adaptation?
I have done it once. I don’t remember if I did it before or after the oil service.
Do you have vcds? Re-do the adaptation while sitting near a highway with the right oil temp. Get on the highway (you can do it on a freeway too but be careful there) put your hazard lights on and do the post adaptation test going through the gears with the right rpm for the right amount of minutes. You can do it at night with less traffic. Just be careful while doing the test. The hazard lights will help notify other drivers that you’re driving slowly because of some mechanical issues and they will leave you alone with your test. Then get out of the highway and find an empty road and perform the oil flow test as stated in the adaption guide. I can’t and don’t want to be held responsable for any mishaps there. BE VERY CAREFUL.

·
Registered
Audi TT 2.0 BWA 2008
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don’t have VCDS. I have OBDeleven.
But I have a friend that can borrow his VCDS.

Where could I find the adaptation guide?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts