Audi TT Forum banner

Noise from TTS Roadster

3K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Alan Sl 
#1 ·
I’ve noticed that when driving on a quiet stretch of road doing between 60-70 mph My roadster which is a 19 plate seems to make a quietish whining/droning noise from the back of the car. Has anyone any idea what this could be? I know it’s still under warranty but any views would be appreciated first.

Thanks

#2 ·
Some makes of tyre are noisier than other makes. What tyres do you have? From memory pirelli pzero are among the quieter ones.

The rear tyres on some modern cars have a habit of developing saw tooth wear patterns over time which manifests as a whining noise. The high spots are about 100mm apart. Sorry I forget the reason the explanation for why this occurs. The accepted way of proving this is to swap front to rear and, if that cures the noise, replacing the unevenly worn ex-rear tyres. Not sure if that only happens on FWD cars or if AWD cars are also affected. Not ckear if your's is quattro or not.

Sorry no definitive answer but either or both worth considering.

#3 ·
I have had my TTS for a month now and I get that sound, I have the P Zeros and from the comments on here I understand the P Zeros NOT to be quiet.

My plan is to change to another tyre/brand when these are done.

Someone has suggested swapping front to back (to even the wear?) however mine are around the same age so the wear is still even.

#5 ·
Sorry for the late reply on this.
I too have the same problem with my 19 plate TT roadster. Came with Hankook tyres and I was told by the audi garage that the noise could be due to the tyres being out of round. As the tyres were still decent at the time I decided to stick with them until earlier this year when I changed to Pirrelli PZero AO. The noise was still there, only more noticeable as the tyres are quieter.
So, I took the car back into a different dealer only to be told this time that there is a known issue with the roadster quattro's and that at between 60-70mph it can make a sight droning noise.
Interested to know how you got on with yours when/if you took it back.

#9 ·
I got the standard reply that’s it’s a known “characteristic”.
My reply was i wouldnt expect to hear a noise like this on an Audi. Got me nowhere though!
I can’t say the noise is that loud, I just know its there and sort of tune into it.
Just come back from a 2000+ mile trip through Spain and I found myself either driving at 56mph like I was on an economy drive, or going 75+.
Apart from that the car was perfect.

#10 ·
I got the standard reply that’s it’s a known “characteristic”.
My reply was i wouldnt expect to hear a noise like this on an Audi. Got me nowhere though!
I can’t say the noise is that loud, I just know its there and sort of tune into it.
Just come back from a 2000+ mile trip through Spain and I found myself either driving at 56mph like I was on an economy drive, or going 75+.
Apart from that the car was perfect.

#11 ·
Hi,

I've had 2 TTS Roadsters, a M2 and a Mk3, now have an RS Roadster - spanning the last 10 years. I can't say I've noticed the droning noise at all. I know that may not help but I don't believe their explanation.

Re tyres, they will all wear evenly and usually wear out at the same time as it's a Quattro.

#13 ·
!00% wheel bearings. On the MQB platform they tend to have a lot of wear on them, mine made the same sounds. It has almost a special "sound" to it, replace both back wheel bearings and it'll disappear

#15 ·
Hey, I have the exact same problem with my '19 TT roadster quattro. My dealer already changed the whole haldex differential unit. Also new tyres have been installed, but nothing helped. I recently found out, that the whining noise almost completely disappears in "Efficiency"-mode (Drive Select). Maybe you can try that out?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.