Audi TT Forum banner

Noise under acceleration on 2008 Mk II DSG Coupe

410 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  nigel d hoyle 
#1 ·
Under most driving conditions the car sounds great in auto or manual mode. Under brisk acceleration with engine under load and particularly when going up a gradient I can hear a brief grating rasping sound, which last a few seconds and then is gone. Difficult to define but any ideas welcome, Thanks, Nigel :D

#2 ·
Sounds like the same kind of noise I had on my TTS

It came in at about 3000RPM just as the car went on boost and then died away at about 4500RPM
Definitely a rasping sort of noise - I was convinced it was the turbo as it coincided with boost and almost sounded rotational.
I described it at the time as like having a rattle snake under the bonnet!
Also, I didn't realise until I went out with an Audi Tec that load was not necessary, you could just rev it stationary and hear it quite clearly.

Anyway, the car went into Audi and they were completely baffled! had it for six weeks in the end! they changed the Turbo, High pressure fuel pump, inline pump, injectors, inlet manifold, and still the noise was there!

Eventually they traced it to a valve somewhere on the fuel line between the inline pump and the HPFP - but only after 9k worth of warranty claim for all the other 'try it and see' bits! :eek:

#4 ·
I had a similar noise on mine which only happened in first and second gear and only when setting off and the engine being hot. Dealer could not find but I noticed that one of the gear change linkages had come out of the clip and was sat on the exhaust. It was the heat shield in the linkage grating in the exhaust. Sounded like someone scrunching up a newspaper in the passenger footwell

#5 ·
Guys, read all the posts and thanks for the input. After further investigation the noise appears to be sound created at a certain load by a vibration from the heat shield directly under the catalytic converter, below the auto transmission. I will get the car up in the air and have a look at the heat shield arrangement, Thanks, NIgel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.