Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just purchased a 2006 Mk1 1.8T (163hp) and I'm busy trying to get through as many posts as possible to get up to speed with things but I have a couple of noob type questions. I would be very grateful if people could answer them for me. I'm not only new to the world of TT but also the world of Audi and the VAG group.

VAGCOM:

1. I understand that VAGCOM is the computer system plugged into the car to get error codes and be able to reset things etc... Where can I get hold of VAGCOM and how much am I looking at paying?

Brakes:

2. There is not a million miles left in the front brake discs and pads and I would like to ask is it considered best to stick with OEM discs and pads or is it considered better to go aftermarket parts - if so which ones are recommended?

If I were to do a brake upgrade what callipers and guides are considered a direct bolt on job? I've read posts with someone going on about doing a change to Porsche Cayenne callipers?? I've also seen on eBay people advertising Golf Mk4 callipers for a TT?? Again just looking for info on what would be considered a good replacement.

3. Rear brakes, the rear discs and pads were replaced by an Indy garage (receipt in with paperwork) 8,000 miles ago. These must have been the cheapest parts the garage could get as they only cost £22 a disc. I like to use quality items when I do a job and I think I may change the rear discs soon enough. What discs are considered to be good for the rear and again is there a simple bolt on upgrade available? The car sits on 18" wheels.

Porsche Parts:

4. I've noticed that there is a few different threads that go on about using Porsche parts (seats, wheels, brakes etc..). Just what parts are interchangeable and with what models of Porsche? Or indeed with any other marque?

Accessories:

5. I've seen a lot of people go on about the TT shop in Bedford, this seems like a very good and recommended resource for parts and service. Is there many other places that are used by the majority?

Radio:

6. I have some archaic tape device as a head unit (Concert), the car also has a 6cd changer but I would like to replace the head unit. Is there any recommendations on what to go for and do you need any special trim surrounds as the Audi head unit looks longer than a single DIN unit? I think I'd like to get one with built in Parrot if possible.

Interior Trim:

7. There is a couple of pieces of interior trim that is a bit tatty and could do with replacing for aesthetics. At the moment I have no idea how the TT interior comes apart but what I would like to replace is:

Drivers (O/S) front interior small actual door handle opener (small round cover with dimples)
Drivers (O/S) front interior door handle (larger round cover with dimples)
Audio Cover which has TT on it as it has a scratch on the front by the TT sign.

Where is the best place to get these parts? Dismantler, Dealer or some other shop (TT Shop)?

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

:)

·
Registered
83,930 Posts
If you are interested I think I have a drivers side door handle opener think I paid £20 +p+p you can have it for the same

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Hello,

Vag com is good but isnt a big thing to own, your best of getting the genuine thing from ross tech (google it) but people do buy cables of ebay and download free software

2/3
There is a group buy running on front and rear brakes they are oem spec parts for gsf i belive, i have just brought some, £22 per disk is about right there not expensive. Golf mk4 i dont think would be any diffrent, good upgrades are porshe calipers or the brembo gt junior kit, or audi tt 3.2 brakes as they are bigger than 225/180 brakes. Keep the standard rear disks just upgrade the pads if you want to but oem ones are good enough on rears unless you are tracking it lots.

Yes some parts of porshe are interchangale, you need to check individual parts, and most wheels need an adapter to fit a tt.
Parts from other vag cars such as vw, skoda and seat genraly fit, but only the odd few bits from certain models etc, not everything is interchangable.

Tt shop is great, i get lots from there, but awsome gti in manchester are good, order stuff of there website. And euro car parts for oem and service bits/spare parts (use forum discount code for 25% of)

Any decent head unit alpine etc is fine, you will need adapters/wiring haness to make it work, and you need a audi tt fitting kit again google it its normaly 2 x bits of plastic which alow the headunit to fit :)

Get a bently manual (from amazon) for the audi tt mk1 around £50 tells you how to service and take everything apart is a great book and well worth the money if u like to do things yourself :) as for the bits ebay or put an add in the wanted section or a brakers yard etc etc if you want aftermarket replacement parts/upgrades then tt shop or awsome gti :)

Good luck and have fun :)

Tom

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
SonyVaio said:
1. I understand that VAGCOM is the computer system plugged into the car to get error codes and be able to reset things etc... Where can I get hold of VAGCOM and how much am I looking at paying?
Torque for your smartphone (if you happen to have one) will come out cheaper than VCDS. Depends on what you intend to do.

SonyVaio said:
If I were to do a brake upgrade what callipers and guides are considered a direct bolt on job? I've read posts with someone going on about doing a change to Porsche Cayenne callipers?? I've also seen on eBay people advertising Golf Mk4 callipers for a TT?? Again just looking for info on what would be considered a good replacement.
Brembo GT kit. Definitely my next mod.

SonyVaio said:
5. I've seen a lot of people go on about the TT shop in Bedford, this seems like a very good and recommended resource for parts and service. Is there many other places that are used by the majority?
APS in Brackley. They are mega.

SonyVaio said:
6. I have some archaic tape device as a head unit (Concert), the car also has a 6cd changer but I would like to replace the head unit. Is there any recommendations on what to go for and do you need any special trim surrounds as the Audi head unit looks longer than a single DIN unit? I think I'd like to get one with built in Parrot if possible.
Alpine and Kenwood are favourites. Love the Alpine myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts