Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always a popular subject this one - what petrol it best and does it make a difference?

Well I've been using Tesco 99 for months now, but what with fuel prices so high at the moment, I've decided to go back to normal 95 RON. I filled up with it for the first time in ages last night.

Driving to work this morning, over a distance of 20 miles, a mixture of cross country and straight A roads, it made absolutely NO DIFFERENCE!

My car was just as pucnhy, just as powerful, just as spritely as normal.

Admittedly, its only one tank full and one journey, and maybe my ECU needs to 're-adjust', but to be honest I don't remember that much of an improvement when I started using Tesco 99 last year anyway.

Maybe the V6 doesn't need it. Maybe its just not that much better?

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Give it a few tankfuls and report back mate :), I think the turbo engines respond better to the increase in RON than normally aspirated.

5th Gear did some research and found that it made a difference on a high output turbo engine but littl eto no difference on lower spec normally aspirated ones = V6 oh no not again :)

Charlie

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha ha I shall ignore that quip about the V6!

Yeah I have heard that turbos benefit more than NAs, so I shall keep it up and see how it goes. If it starts to feel really underpowered then I'll switch back, hopefully if the prices come down!

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Rich

I have recently used normal 95 RON, both Tesco and Shell and I found a marked difference in performance over about 400 odd miles of using them.

I used Tesco 99 and BP Ultimate too and was not impressed when compared to my usual fuel of Shell V Power :p.......which thankfully is back in supply :D . My car ran awfully on BP Ultimate :cry:

This perceived extra performance from the higher octane fuel may be down to the fact that I am remapped however :?

Saj

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I've always use Tesco normal, yet to try the better one!!!!! :oops:

·
Registered
84,370 Posts
Just piss in the tank thats good enough for the V6 :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have only had my car for 5 weeks, and for the first time i put in Shell V-Power. I have a standard 1.8t 225, and was very please with the difference. I Find it more responsive, and even more economical when driving slow. However, spending £25 and not even getting 20 litres of fuel, or half a tanks, worries my POOR STUDENT POCKETS!!! LOL!! :eek:
Overall though, i didnt buy this car to go slowly, so really theres only 1 choice for me.....

V-POWER!!!

G

·
I didn't notice much difference between supermarket 95 RON and V-Power 99 RON. I posted up dyno runs taken on the Liquid TT gauge with both fuels:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=163417&start=30#p1687855

See what you make of that. I think I see a bit more fuel economy, but I'm not entirely convinced it isn't explicable through normal variation. As far as I know, there are no other posts with dyno runs on different fuels, so there's very little objective evidence out there.

Doug

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.