Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys quick question about how much oil tt's use. My oil oil was topped up 2 weeks ago. My check light is on. Starting to get worried as 2 weeks isn't long at all. HELP!!!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
H11WGY said:
Hi guys quick question about how much oil tt's use. My oil oil was topped up 2 weeks ago. My check light is on. Starting to get worried as 2 weeks isn't long at all. HELP!!!
Mine hasnt used hardly any at all over 6months, but a turbo engine will always use some, not a lot,but some.

If youve used/lost that much in 2 weeks,id start looking for breather hose splits,boil patches marks on the floor,excessive blue smoke on ron on/acceleration and everything else in between.

2 Weeks back did you have a oil filter change as this will take a run or two to settle at the correct level on the dipstick?

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,341 Posts
Hi H11WGY , Depends how many miles you've covered & did you personally top up & check oil level 2 weeks ago.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. The oil filter got changed 3months ago. This is now my 3rd time topping up. There is no blue smoke at all. Which hoses should i be looking out for?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sounds like you've got a bit of a problem there.

Most likely if you have no smoke (burning oil) then you will either have a leak or perhaps the turbo oil seals are shot and your now filling up your intercooler. If you had a normal leak then I'd expect to see oil spots on the ground in places you've parked - have you noticed any? Other than that then you may be looking at the tubo oil seals, you can take your boost hose off and check for excess oil.

:)

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,341 Posts
Hi H11WGY , Audi state 1 litre per 1300 miles is not excessive. Some engine use more than others.
I had my TT from new & it has always used more oil than any other car I've owned.
My VXR is blasted every where & uses very little compared to TT.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You might be on to something there. When i fitted the fmic. The 1st intercooler had about a pint of oil in. Never see any oil patches where i am parked. Does this point to turbo?

·
Registered
250 Posts
H11WGY said:
Thanks for the info. The oil filter got changed 3months ago. This is now my 3rd time topping up. There is no blue smoke at all. Which hoses should i be looking out for?
H11WGY said:
Hoggy. No it wasn't me personally. It got done at my local audi when it was in for coil pack. Done maybe 1000miles since then. Thanks
Hoggy said:
Hi H11WGY , Audi state 1 litre per 1300 miles is not excessive. Some engine use more than others.
I had my TT from new & it has always used more oil than any other car I've owned.
My VXR is blasted every where & uses very little compared to TT.
H11WGY has topped up 3 times in the period of 1000miles. I don't know on the TT as I'm not up to speed with things yet but I'm guessing it is not far off the norm where the min to max mark takes 0.5 to 1.0 ltrs? So that would be somewhere in the region of a 1.5 to 3.0 ltrs in 1000miles? That does seem excessive to me.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No sorry iv covered 1000miles since my last top up. Since iv owned the car iv topped up 3 times and covered say 5000miles. Does this still sound odd? Having oil in my old intercooler is starting to worry me :/

·
Administrator
95,341 Posts
SonyVaio said:
H11WGY has topped up 3 times in the period of 1000miles.
Hi, No he hasn't. H11WGY stated he had covered 1000 miles since the last top up & he didn't top up or check it himself.

·
Registered
250 Posts
H11WGY said:
No sorry iv covered 1000miles since my last top up. Since iv owned the car iv topped up 3 times and covered say 5000miles. Does this still sound odd? Having oil in my old intercooler is starting to worry me :/
In that case I'd go with Hoggy says and that it must be normal that a TT can use that amount of oil.

I know with some Volvo's the manufacturer says a car can use upto 0.5 ltrs per 1000 miles without being considered excessive, although most use little to no oil.

Going by what you've said with the level of oil in the FMIC when it was changed then this would point to the turbo oil seals letting a little bit of oil past. Probably not excessive enough to bother doing anything about and probably only doing it at full thrust. Just keep an eye on your oil useage and if it degrades then perhaps you'll need to get it looked at.

Depending what oil you use, you may be able to change your oil if your using a particularly thin oil that may overcome the problem. In any case I wouldn't worry too much at the moment. If you had of topped up 3 times in a 1000miles then I would be concerned.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SonyVaio said:
H11WGY said:
You might be on to something there. When i fitted the fmic. The 1st intercooler had about a pint of oil in. Never see any oil patches where i am parked. Does this point to turbo?
How many miles has the car done and what oil are you using? Grade?

They car is now on 58k. I just topped up with 5w 30. Thats what i was recommended.

Thanks for all your help. If its nothing major right now. Can you get a seal repair kit or is it new turbo only?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
H11WGY said:
SonyVaio said:
H11WGY said:

They car is now on 58k. I just topped up with 5w 30. Thats what i was recommended.

Thanks for all your help. If its nothing major right now. Can you get a seal repair kit or is it new turbo only?
A Turbo can be refurbed with new seals and bearings. :wink:

·
Registered
250 Posts
H11WGY said:
SonyVaio said:
H11WGY said:

I have not checked but I'm almost positive there will be a seal repair kit, one of the more seasoned TT owners can hopefully confirm or deny. I would be highly suprised if there was not.

An alternative would be to also have the turbo reconed by say someone like tubo technics - used them in the past for other marques and they have always done a fantastic job for me. You could also contact Awesome or TT Shop too as they may even stock a repair kit.

Edit: Just seen the post above which confirms there is repair kits you can get.

·
Registered
966 Posts
A pint of oil in the intercooler sounds crazy - definitely a problem there pointing to turbo seals.

I think the Audi consumption figures are assuming a "good" turbo and assuming the rest is due to piston/bore wear.

FWIW I've owned two 1.8T cars and both used no more than 0.5 litres in 8000 miles. One of those had a Big Turbo conversion and included 2 track days!

·
Administrator
95,341 Posts
Hi H11WGY , Get her on level ground, wait 5 min for oil to settle & top her up to correct level, then check it regularly to see how much oil is actually being used.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts