Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They used the lights by every seat as a giant LED screen to display video and effects in the opening ceremony. When building the stadium they had wanted to surround the outside with a massive screen.

Why the hell aren't the using the one inside in the events? It would be phenomenally cool for the audience on one side to see results and replays on a screen the size of the other side of the stadium, and would make the place look amazing.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
Also phenomenally distracting for those competing in the other events going on concurrently? ;)

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
ScoobyTT said:
They used the lights by every seat as a giant LED screen to display video and effects in the opening ceremony. When building the stadium they had wanted to surround the outside with a massive screen.

Why the hell aren't the using the one inside in the events? It would be phenomenally cool for the audience on one side to see results and replays on a screen the size of the other side of the stadium, and would make the place look amazing.
I used to work for a sponsor of the Olympics and my role took me to Atlanta to look at the preparations being made for the games, which were due to begin in 4 weeks time. We were being taken around the olympic pool venue, all the work had been done and the venu looked spectacular - except for a few of pockets of frantic activity. 'Whats going on I asked'? - 'The venue was built to exact specifications' I was told, 'unfortunately that included the fact that there are no toilets' :lol: :lol: :lol: So I think we can be forgiven :p

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha! Whoops!

clived said:
Also phenomenally distracting for those competing in the other events going on concurrently? ;)
Not sure... No more so than the crowd cheering for events other than the one you're competing in, and the existing score screens, surely. Being close to the pixels, they wouldn't form a coherent image. I doubt athletes are looking at the seating areas when competing anyway, especially the ones on the other side of the stadium where the pixels would form a legible image :) It would have been nice to try it I reckon - they could always have adjusted how/when they work.

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
The opening ceremony deliberately started later than any of the previous years shows so that the lights would be as visible as possible - with most of the athletics sessions running while it's daylight outside and when it's not, they've got the floodlights on, I doubt the LED 'pixels' would be particularly visible.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good point; I had forgotten the late start. There probably just aren't enough of them to throw out enough light for daylight/floodlit visibility. Pity :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts