Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of a random topic, but i've now settled into owning and liking the MKII despite some early reservations (is the back too rounded off?, has it lost its character? is the interior too much like another audi? is the grill too audi corporate? etc etc), but I still look at the mark I and think it looks great.

I have to admit now that I have the Mark II, I have been tempted to pull up to the lights along side purely for performance comparison reasons :p but never have. This morning someone in a Mark I decided to try and start a spar against me but I didnt bother to respond...

Just wondering whether you look at a Mark I like a completely different car (and MK I drivers do the same?), or still treat it as just another TT...have to admit, I don't feel like I drive a TT any more, but im in a completely different car.

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
I just think it looks really dated. It doesn't do any of the things a car does as good as the MKII. Looks, subjective both inside and out so its a pointless tirade to even start.
The only MKI i still look at is the qS.

Would i buy a MKI IF you could still order then new - no.
Do i hate them or think they are crap - no

·
Registered
112 Posts
Personally I never really liked the Mk1 enough to want one, whereas the Mk2 was a car I wanted as soon as I saw it. In my opinion, the Mk2 has really dated the Mk1 - but different people want different things out of a car and I'm sure if you asked the same question to a Mk1 owner you'd get a million and one reasons why the Mk2 is not a real TT etc etc etc. Indeed, the Mk2 has probably attracted people that would not have gone for a Mk1 - I can't be the only one :)

You get this with all enthusiast cars, I've had MX-5's and Elises in the past and it's the same there, there's always 'version conflict' between the different generations.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think i'd buy a decent example of one in a few years time for memories sake because while its a totally different car I still thought it was a great car at the time.

The only thing is though, they're getting to the price range lately where all sorts will own them and they'll be the next max power chav's fashion item covered in neon lights and burberry seat covers which I think is a real shame.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Personally I see the mkI as exactly that: A mark I. Its an almost timeless classic.
The original car was an outstanding break from car design at the time.
(Think about the whole of chav culture copying the petrol filler cap.. The number of cars mimicking the circular vents and aluminium finishes!)

The Mark II is just a (careful) evolution and improvement of that classic. I was quite disappointed to see the whole range take a similar "face" to the TT, and the R8 taking the lead in Audi sports coupe design.

In brief, I think it furthers, updates and improves on the original TT technologically, but it would be night on impossible to equal the impact that the original design had architecturally.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Yep, some very good comment here

I had one and loved it... however, near the end of it's time, I began to feel a bit numb with it and after a lorry did it in, I didn't for a single moment hanker after another

I don't recall being overly taken by the new one on first viewing, but it grew bit by bit. When considering a possible replacement for my Elise, the Mk2 TT became the only thing I was remotely interested in... provided Audi had done a good enough job in moving it forwards from the Mk1

Of course they did and here we are. The Mk1 is an unquestionable icon, but the Mk2 is now the better car IMHO

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Tend to agree with the sentiment of the last two posts here.

The Mark I will always be the classic TT, simply because it wa the Mark I and fluffer says - it was such a break from all the other boring euro boxes.

Personally, I wanted a MkI from the moment I first saw it. That interior was simply stunning IMO - I still love it. To me it is still better in parts than the MkII.

However, as a total package, there's no doubt at all that the MkII is the better car. Putting styling aside as its too subjective, in every other way the MkII is effortlessly superior.

NB: Just had a really good blast down one of my favourite roads - between Warwick and Henley in Arden for those who know the area. Even the GF said it felt really safe (didn't tell her we were doing "a lot" around some of the bends - yes the spoiler was up!) :wink:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was only about 17 when the Mk1 came out and I still remember the impact it had at the time, it was absolutely phenomenal! The TT was the first time I remember a major manufacturer putting a concept car in to production for less than £50k without changing very much at all. It was a design masterpiece!

Ever since it came out I've been after one but I just couldn't afford it until now. I'd say from about 2005 onwards it has looked a bit dated and the Mk2 was well due!

·
Registered
180 Posts
scottk said:
Bit of a random topic, but i've now settled into owning and liking the MKII despite some early reservations (is the back too rounded off?, has it lost its character? is the interior too much like another audi? is the grill too audi corporate? etc etc), but I still look at the mark I and think it looks great.

I have to admit now that I have the Mark II, I have been tempted to pull up to the lights along side purely for performance comparison reasons :p but never have. This morning someone in a Mark I decided to try and start a spar against me but I didnt bother to respond...

Just wondering whether you look at a Mark I like a completely different car (and MK I drivers do the same?), or still treat it as just another TT...have to admit, I don't feel like I drive a TT any more, but im in a completely different car.
The very first look I got of a MKII in the flesh ( oo'er ) was from the rear 1/4 - it was 2 cars in front of me in lane to left at some traffic lights - I thought the rear wings the way the roof curved down and around the "hind quarters" ( oo'er again :oops: ) looked like a work of art.

so I looked at some more, and just had to have one :p

·
Registered
406 Posts
Again MKI is the classic and I have and always will have a lot of respect for it. Although it looks dated and I can't wait for my MKII to touch down, I will always think of it's older relative as unreplacable. The TT has simply moved on.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I remember when I got my Nissan 350z and thinking it looked so much more modern than the mark 1 TT of the time.

Now the tables have turned with the mark 2 TT and I think the styling of this car puts the 350z to shame and makes it look bulgy and fat.

Times and styles do change but I am sure the Mark 2 TT will look good for many years to come.

Agree with Tosh that the Mark 1 QS still has some kerb appeal though.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I agree with what most say here. The MK1 was an exceptional break from the norm when it was released but it never really appealed to me. The MK2 looks (IMO) more finished and complete. I wanted a MK2 and after a breif drive knew i had to have it. Now in approx 4 weeks I will :) :) :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
To put things in a little more perspective, I used to have a few pictures of the MkI on my wall when I was 17. The only other car I ever had on my wall when I was younger was the Ferrari F40. I really did like it that much.

It took me a few years, but I now own the updated version, specced to my liking, and I love it!
Friends of mine who studied architecture and industrial design in uni say the TT mkI was their favourite car of all time. I wouldnt go that far, but it certainly had appeal!

When I first saw the new mkII TT, I wasnt that impressed. I thought the back was too rounded, and that it had done little to further the TT. But it grew on me. I looked at it a year later when I was considering an Elise and I couldnt ignore it. It was beautiful, inside and out. It was actually the interior (esp with magma!) that sold it to me in the end. Still, I waver week in, week out, as to whether or not I like the spoiler up or down. And thats even though I feel like a chav driving it with it up!

So now that I've fulfilled one ambition, I'll have to set my sights on my next: Porsche before 30! Thankfully I've a few years yet to enjoy the TT..

·
Registered
112 Posts
The MkI still catches my eye on the road, especially from the rear, simply beautiful. The front however looks awfully dated. Perhapse I'm just used to the new yawning upright audi grill. Then again, that grill with the lights the the surrounds... simply everything about the design of the nose of the mkII looks just so much more aggressive, and purposeful. For this alone, I much prefer the look of MkII to the mkI

·
Registered
691 Posts
when the mk1 first came out i thought it was gorgeous ... it blew everything else out of the water.

i test drove one about 5 years ago (a 225), and whilst it looked 'the nuts' outside and inside ... i was disappointed to find myself completely underwhelmed by the experience, and ended up buying a seat leon cupra (180) instead.

that car was much more fun to drive, and felt quicker, but even that wasn't exactly the best handling car in the world - same chassis / same engine (albeit not tuned to the same degree).

more recently i'd begun to think the mk1 was looking seriously dated and, like snake, when the 350Z came out it struck me as being almost an evolution of the mk1 TT design ... a more modern version, a hint at what the TT could look like if Audi refreshed it.

when the mk2 came out it obviously wasn't as striking, we'd gotten used to funky cars by then, but overall i much preferred the design to the mk1 ... it's more aggressive, more butch, less feminine.

when i read reviews that said audi had nailed the handling and performance this time, that it was far far superior to the mk1, i was overjoyed ... and so began 'project TT', and i'm now finally the proud owner of what i genuinely feel is a fantastic car.

there's a sense of occasion every time i turn the ignition, every time i blip the throttle ... it's a nice car to look at, a nice place to sit, and a great car to drive whether you're just pootling about, or going hell for leather.

like tosh, a mk1 qS still catches my eye occasionally ... as does a well looked after mk1 in the right colour/spec ... but more often than not they're looking more and more tired, with poor colour choices doing nothing to rejuvenate them ... plus the prices are coming down and they're becoming more accessible to any tom, dick, or harriet ... which also, unfortunately, means the chav element are getting their hands on them, and the excessive modders (nothing wrong the odd tweak but some people take it too far).

the king is dead, long live the king.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I'm with all of you that have admired the MK I for the mold breaking icon it was and remains. I still remember that episode of Top Gear where Jeremy Clarkson attempts to explain to a group of art expert the design merits of the MK I TT. It was painful to watch. He just did not have a clue and was mouthing on about Bauhaus and cubism (cubism? A TT?) He simply did not get it and that was painful to watch.

With the MK I, Audi broke will all that had come before. Curiously, they could not extend the iconic features of the car across the range (as Chris Bangle has been doing at BMW with his concave curves...). This is what finally made the MK I special. It was distinctive even within it's own paddock. Arguably, Bangle and many other automotive designers owe a debt of gratitude to Audi for the MK I TT. Audi had the courage to demonstrate that you can start with a clean sheet and make history.

The MK II is at best an homage...but does not and could not rise to the same ground breaking standard of the MK I. Credit where credit is due.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I'm a fan of the MKI even though I never owned one. I quite fancy one at some point as a run about / second car when the prices come down a bit. Could be in for a long wait. :?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I first came into contact with the MK1 in 1999 when a colleague brought a brochure into work. He was thinking about importing a left hander. I was blown away by it - thought it was a stunning car with real ground-breaking design.

I aspired to own one from that day on and 5 years later I bought mine.

Is it dated? Well, The E-type Jaguar is dated, but it's still a beautiful and desirable car. The E-type is a classic and so is the MK1 TT.

The MK2 simply isn't. Opinions will differ, of course, but it cannot be denied that it hasn't had anything like the impact that the MK1 had when it first came out. Yes, it's quicker. Yes, it drives better. However, it simply does not have the same standard of design. It's compromised by corporate requirements and frankly it commits one of the worst sins of design. It's not beautiful, but then it isn't ugly either. It looks okay - and that's the sin - it's bland. You can look at it and think it's not a bad looking car, but it most definitely does not generate the same emotional impact as the MK1 did.

Yes the MK2 is a nice car and it's probably a more competent sports car than the MK1 - but it is not a classic. In 10 year's time the MK2 will have been just another old sports car while despite being 10 years older the MK1 will still be desirable. That's my prediction.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I loved the Mk1 and still think it's a beautiful design. The Mk2 drives better and looks great. However, the Mk2 will be superseded by the Mk3 in about 5 years time and the Mk2 will then look old and dated whereas the Mk1 is iconic and is set to become a classic.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.