Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could be changing jobs in the near future with a car being part of a package on where I go next.
Not had my 3.2 roadster long but began wondering what would be the best thing to do?

Options are:

1. Take the car allowance (if an option) vs the car and keep mine.
2. Go for the company car and keep mine too.
3. Go for the company car and sell mine.

TBH, I wouldn't really want to sell mine. But with option 1. with 48K on the clock and not knowing the kinda mileage I would cover I think it could very quickly loose alot of value when/if I wanted to move on.

Welcome your comments..

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I personally would take the cash and keep your car :)

What sort of mielage will you be doing ?

if you can afford it 2 cars would be good. But offcourse running 2 cars will be more expensive than 1.

It sounds like ou have made your mind up about not selling yours. What sort of car could you get?

:p

·
Registered
233 Posts
Depending on the sort of mileage you would have to do, take the cash allowance and keep yours. I went through this years ago and found that after losing the cash allowance/mileage rate, paying the additional tax, depreciation etc I would be financially worse off (just). Its probably swings and roundabouts now with the cost of fuel, etc, but would you want to drive around in a TT or company Mondeo?

·
Registered
31,066 Posts
take the car allowance.
Much more efficient on tax.

You can then see how the new job pans out, you can see what mileage will be involved and then once you are through the probation period and settled after say 6 months, take a view then.

Mondeo would probably out handle the base TTs :wink:

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Another vote for option 1 Ajay.

A mate of mine got a company car a couple of years ago and elected to keep his TT but it just ended up sitting in the garage as it was easier to jump in the company car all the time.

I would keep the TT and take the allowance unless you're going to be doing a silly amount of miles.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Everyone thinks the same then :roll:

·
Registered
31,066 Posts
simon3868 said:
Toshiba said:
Depends how you drive it Tosh :wink:
I don't think it matters, they are both FWD - the ford has a better chassis... (same 0-60 too)
Sad, but true.

I opted out of the car/fuel schemes many years ago - allowance is the only way to go unless you plan on doing 10,000s of miles. I'd also check you get to "pick" the car too. some companies just drop you a pool car until you are settled/past probation..

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
The scheme with my company is opt in at any time, I'd just bought my first TT when I became eligable for a company car and decided to take the allowance.

Doing the sums a company TDi worked out about the same as buying one, but after the discount I got on mine I was much better off buying it myself.

If the scheme is opt in at any time, wait and see what mileage you end up doing and opt in if you end up doing silly miles. It's easier to opt in in the future than opt out. Certainly at my work you're committed for the life of the lease (unless you leave the company).

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Toshiba said:
simon3868 said:
Toshiba said:
Depends how you drive it Tosh :wink:
I don't think it matters, they are both FWD - the ford has a better chassis... (same 0-60 too)
Sad, but true.

I opted out of the car/fuel schemes many years ago - allowance is the only way to go unless you plan on doing 10,000s of miles. I'd also check you get to "pick" the car too. some companies just drop you a pool car until you are settled/past probation..
Sorry but what Mondeo has the same 0-60 as the TTS?

I don't know any that come close. Even the titaniaum x or the old skool ST's

the quickest new shape i could find was this

2.5T Titanium X Sport 5d
7.3 secs
152 mph
216 bhp

The TTS was a lot quicker and even quicker if you get an S-Tronic

2.0T FSI Quattro TTS (2011) 2d
5.2 secs
155 mph
268 bhp

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
He put 'base TTs' rather than 'TTS' :wink: .

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
I'm not sure where the TTS thing came from, the comparison was about handling on a FWD chassis base TT.

[Edit]just saw the thing about TTs - LOL![/Edit]

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
n3mo said:
keep your car... take the allowance and get a TDI to run around :D

I kept my TT .. and bought a polo TDI to run around with, the TT only comes out on weekends :twisted:
The thing is though that many jobs that have cars need to to have something a bit bigger/nicer. I suspect if I rolled up in a Polo my clients would think I'd fallen on hard times. Not good for the corporate image. I did start out in. Skoda Fabia vRS, but I've aged considerably since then!

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Even a normal TT FSI would ruin a Mondeo 0-60 so still no argument. :p

·
Registered
31,066 Posts
1.8 TT is 7.3, 2.0 mondeo is 7.3 so they ARE the same, like it or not
Ford has a better chassis, so even though it seems to be the butt of many jokes or looked down on (maybe due to some kind of self imposed badge hierarchy) its a very capable car.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow - just checked my thread and lots of replies.
Thanks guys gonna read and reply now!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Basscube said:
I personally would take the cash and keep your car :)

What sort of mielage will you be doing ?

if you can afford it 2 cars would be good. But offcourse running 2 cars will be more expensive than 1.

It sounds like ou have made your mind up about not selling yours. What sort of car could you get?

:p
Not sure about the mileage as of yet but will ask as soon as I get a chance.
Car this is funny the woman at the agency said with alot of excitement 'You will get a Ford Mondeo "Titaniaum"!'

As you can imagine I was not impressed!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
simon3868 said:
....would you want to drive around in a TT or company Mondeo?
I am not sure about mileage as of yet but what I can say is that I couldnt drive a Mondeo, even if it was the

Titaniaum version which is what I would get - thanks mate.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts