Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TT is at the insurers paint / body shop to have a rear bumper scratch removed.

The scratch is below the near-side light cluster and isn't all that deep. The bumper is not dented or warped as far as I can see.

The body shop want to paint the rear bumper and then "blend" the mis-matched colour to the rest of the car (applying paint to undamaged panels)!

To me, this sounds like a bad idea. Please let me know what you think and any experience of having similar work done to your cars.

My other option is to locate a bumper in the same paint code and just have it bolted on.

Resale affect? Will it look "repaired"?

Cheers :)

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,371 Posts
Hi Baz, I believe that is normal procedure, especially with metallic paint as its difficult to match.
I know undamaged panels on my VXR were rubbed down & sprayed & that is a solid colour, finish was O.K. but was not impressed with there overall work after a few years.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems to me that they will actually cause more damage to the surrounding panels than good they will do repairing the scratch.

HOGGY - When you say its not looking good now, would a potential buyer 'see' there's been a repair then?

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,371 Posts
MrBazUK said:
HOGGY - When you say its not looking good now, would a potential buyer 'see' there's been a repair then?
Hi, No the matching is not the prob, just other parts of repair after 5 years, if you know where they are, not good to my eyes, they are happy to do it again , but just too much bother to let them have it back.
Its only my everyday Vauxhall after all :wink: & will prob part ex for the VXR Astra soon.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
This is always a bone of contention, to blend or not to blend...If its a metallic then the sun will make a real difference in colour to the unpainted panels years of UV exposure can cause serious colour fade leaving the car looking like a mismatched jigsaw after new paint is applied to a single panel. However a blend is not the solution the difference becomes noticeable after further sun exposure and it cannot be polished back....A much better solution is to use a professional who has access to colour matching tints, they scan your existing body colour and then match it compensating for the fade that has occurred over the lifetime of the vehicle. I had this done to my pearl paint two years ago and it still looks identical to the rest of the car. Hope this helps....

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Blending is normal practise and just detracts the eye to colour changes from panel to panel, if done right with machine polishing you shouldn't be able to see any colour change. Some colours are easier to blend than others.If its not blended on some it will stick out like a sore thumb :?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
As others have said its standard but there is an art to it, its like every thing really you get good sprayers and bad ones , ask to see some of the sprayers work on simlular color cars then make up your mind if you want him to do it or not.

·
Registered
262 Posts
hi
i cant understand why a insurance appoved bodyshop would put a wrong shade on to start with.they would have should have checked for any variants and used colour chips to check.
the othrr thing i cant understand is why they are going into any other panel other than the bumper,the bumper has enough angles on it to lose the paint ideally bumper should be completely laquered.(its quicker to blow in a full panel than to blend.
blending is common pratice but usually a small blow in or more commonly up door & window pillars.
modern reputal paints contain uv protection addatives in them. the cheaper end i cant say. reds mainly solid colours stand out more under street lamps because of the fresh pigment in the newer paint.
p.s a clear over a base is easier to lose than a solid. most cars now are clear over base

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not painted yet. They are waiting for authorisation to blend it in.

Problem I see is, once it's blended, sourcing a factory painted bumper is then no longer an option.

They won't try painting it without the go ahead to blend.

·
Registered
262 Posts
hi
i think you my be worrying over nothing to be honest.
if i was doing it i would simply flick the black pearl in under the light wher needed no need to go onto the arch part of the bumper.bit more to it than just a flick bits of masking tape stopping black going to far ,but dont want to get into an essay school days are long gone.
then remove tape clear coat full bumper.

·
Registered
262 Posts
hi again
just bin out to mine for referance
i reckon you dont need to paint the full bumper
mask off the bumper arch totally at the seam mask off oppersite side most central seam bumper section come back across lower seam to arch . so panel under lamp & number plate is all that needs painting no colour differance everything lost on the angles.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Raven Black Pearl - don't worry. Black is easy to match. It shouldn't need blending to other panels really, although it's necessary for most other colours, silver being the hardest to paint and blend.

Curious to know how much you've been quoted?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts