Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.
Noticed today the paint has bubbled on one of the pillars close to the bonnet :(
Now the car is 3 years and 9 months old and as I understand the paint warranty is for 3 years, what do you reckon the chances are for getting this fixed under warranty? I reckon it is going to be a fighting match.....

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
96,570 Posts
Hi, Corrosion warranty is 12 years, as long as it hasn't started from a stone chip.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hoggy said:
Hi, Corrosion warranty is 12 years, as long as it hasn't started from a stone chip.
Hoggy. :D
Hoggy I noticed the corrosion warranty on the Audi website but figured that was like rust to the body work etc.
Just so I have my facts straight before contacting Audi, what is the paint warranty for? If my particular case falls under corrosion.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I would be very diappointed if the warranty did not cover the whole car. Only exclusion would be accident damage / repairs.

Can you post a photo of the corrosion?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
missile said:
I would be very diappointed if the warranty did not cover the whole car. Only exclusion would be accident damage / repairs.

Can you post a photo of the corrosion?
Its not on the origianal warranty, as the car is now over 3 years old, it is however on the Audi extended one.
Here is a quick pic I just took, its hard to capture it properly what with redlections etc but hopefully you get the idea, the corrosion is apprx 1" long.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
sniper-sam said:
Just so I have my facts straight before contacting Audi, what is the paint warranty for? If my particular case falls under corrosion.
The paint warranty would be to cover faults in the paint itself, while the corrosion warranty would cover paint damage due to underlying body corrosion at the point of the damage.

Bubbling paint usually eminates from body corrosion underneath so don't be fobbed off with any lame excuses.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
That does look like it's corrosion underneath the paint.

There was a big corrosion problem with early Honda S2000 wheels, made by Enkel IIRC. Honda had to replace a lot of wheels before the problem was put right. A few dealers tried to blame stone chips etc., but there was no real argument - underlying corrosion is so distinctively different.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got the call back from Audi. I have to take a couple of good pics and email them to my service girl, who will in turn send them to the warranty dept. so watch this space.....

·
Administrator
33,050 Posts
12 year warranty is for penetrating through panel rust. What often looks like rust bubbles turns out to be paint perforation that bubbles away from the galvanised panel which remains intact. Don't give up though. Audi goodwill goes a long way especially when the car is so young.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Ever had the wind shield replaced? Hope not as its replacement may have damaged the paintwork and trigged the rust...

I have a similar spot near my lock catch at the driver side. 2 years ago the dealer said it was covered by the 12 year warranty. Back then we decided to leave it as it is as I didn't want that area to be resprayed. Now the spot is twice as big and I will talk to my dealer again about it soon.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
It's indeed caused by poor preparation or by a tiny iron particle (like a spark from welding) that triggered rust.

While aluminium oxide actually protects the metal and stops aluminium from oxidising, it doesn't stop the paint pealing off, hence the bubble. Iron rusts simply till it's all gone. (hole in bodywork).

Self-Study Programme 383 describes a bit how and what with this alu-iron combination in the TT's bodywork. Google it and you'll find it.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.