Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I am trying to understand which lens to buy for my 400D to make the most of the landscapes on the forthcoming Alpina trip.

I know NOTHING about this stuff but am looking at a 10-20mm wide angle lens at the mo which seems to tick all the boxes.
Can those in the know put me out of my misery before I make a hideous mistake.
lol

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Matt B said:
Guys I am trying to understand which lens to buy for my 400D to make the most of the landscapes on the forthcoming Alpina trip.

I know NOTHING about this stuff but am looking at a 10-20mm wide angle lens at the mo which seems to tick all the boxes.
Can those in the know put me out of my misery before I make a hideous mistake.
lol
Hi Matt, What lenses do you have already? As you should buy your lens according to use and also to compiment what you have already. Some overlap can be desirable.

The 10-20 will give you the FF equivalent of 16-32mm FOV which would give you a good wide angle for landscape.

·
Registered
12,119 Posts
Although it wouldn't hurt to own one, there's no real need to have a very wide angle lens like that for landscape stuff (in fact I'd say that kind of lens would be better for getting nice and close to your subject, rather than standing miles away from it). There might be a few panoramas that would benefit from it, but often I think you'd just end up taking overly busy pictures instead of focusing on the really interesting detail.

If you already have a reasonably good lens, I'd say spend your money on a nice circular polarising filter to make the most of the skys you'll get up in the mountains. Maybe even a graduated grey lens to get some Top Gear-esque drama into your shots.

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I currently just have the 18-55mm lens that came with the kit. It has been pretty good so far in terms of an introduction to taking nice pics. I borrowed a friends 70-300mm for a weekend and took some nice shots of the kids but got the feeling it would be just a big ol zoom lens.

I am sure that some of the scenery will be stunning and just want (to try at least) to take some pics that really give that feeling of being in the picture - from that poor description I am lead to believe that I should be looking at a wide angle lens - but as you can tell I am a real newbie with photography - hence the post for advice.

:)

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
If you're looking for a reasonable wide angle lens for your crop sensor body, the Canon 10-22 EF-S isn't bad - certainly more consistent than the Sigma 10-20 in terms of build quality and softness issues so far as I can tell from a couple of friends who went through several Sigmas before getting a "good" one.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
If it's landscapes you're after, you're much better off not limiting yourself to a wide-angle lens & stitching photos together in PS.

I have done a ton of landscape stitching recently with shots taken on my 450D & the results are superb.

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
clived said:
If you're looking for a reasonable wide angle lens for your crop sensor body, the Canon 10-22 EF-S isn't bad - certainly more consistent than the Sigma 10-20 in terms of build quality and softness issues so far as I can tell from a couple of friends who went through several Sigmas before getting a "good" one.
Thanks for that Clive, I just checked out the price of these lenses and they are about £500 which is slightly out of my price range. Maybe I will make do with something cheaper.

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
head_ed said:
If it's landscapes you're after, you're much better off not limiting yourself to a wide-angle lens & stitching photos together in PS.

I have done a ton of landscape stitching recently with shots taken on my 450D & the results are superb.
Thats interesting, do you just have to line them up "by eye" or is there a tool for doing this within the software??

Matt

·
Registered
9,031 Posts
On my trusty Nikon D80 I primarily use the Nikor VR18-200 lens which covers most eventualities without being massively bulky. I assume there is a Canon equivalent?

The only other lens I carry which I primarily use for indoor work is an older Nikor 24-70 lens.

Note - I am not a good or enthusiastic photographer.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Matt B said:
Thats interesting, do you just have to line them up "by eye" or is there a tool for doing this within the software??

Matt
Photoshop will do all the hard work for you - just choose the shots you want to stitch, click one button & hey presto! The ones I did recently were all handheld shots & it worked flawlessly. 8)

·
Registered
19,838 Posts
head_ed said:
Matt B said:

Matt
Photoshop will do all the hard work for you - just choose the shots you want to stitch, click one button & hey presto! The ones I did recently were all handheld shots & it worked flawlessly. 8)
It's a great way to get panoramic shots. If you have a tripod with a fluid head that you can turn on a flat plane it makes the stitching process easier and quicker. You just have to remember to overlap the images slightly so look out for landmarks as guides.

But Mart is right, PS gives great results right out of the box. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.