Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Have posted on here a few times over the last few weeks when researching before buying my TTRS, wanted to thank everyone for their useful comments and look forward to using this resource over the coming months and years.

Picked her up yesterday from Hertfordshire, Standard 2011 plate to go back on and replace the private plate, spent much of the last night reading through the manual so how everything works (especially the sat nav unit!)

Its the S Tronic version, with all extras apart from the electric seats, really happy with it! Is there anything I need to know on the gear box, anything to look out for?

Will be heading out later today to give it a blast in sport mode!

James

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
igotone said:
Davio said:
Its the S Tronic version, with all extras apart from the electric seats, really happy with it! Is there anything I need to know on the gear box, anything to look out for?
Just Traffic cops!! :D

Nice colour!
Yep, Going to have to make effective use of the mirrors I think, currently on 0 points although not sure how long that will last!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Make sure you use launch control once in a while... just to enjoy the rocket

·
Registered
943 Posts
Looks great! Enjoy, they are brilliant cars (even if they under steer and almost have too much grip!).

As for the gearbox, just check its all smooth, no hesitations, pulls away smoothly etc.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Davio said:
Joerek said:
How do you do this? afraid to select the wrong button and burn the clutch out!
Select Sport, traction control off, (hold the button down for 3secs or so) left foot firmly on the brake pedal, right foot hard down on the gas pedal, lift left foot, hold on, 60 in less than 4.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mitchy said:
Davio said:
Joerek said:
How do you do this? afraid to select the wrong button and burn the clutch out!
Select Sport, traction control off, (hold the button down for 3secs or so) left foot firmly on the brake pedal, right foot hard down on the gas pedal, lift left foot, hold on, 60 in less than 4.
Is that hold down the traction control button? I assume not good to do this to many times as it will burn out clutch / result in warranty issues with Audi?

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Davio said:
Is that hold down the traction control button? I assume not good to do this to many times as it will burn out clutch / result in warranty issues with Audi?
Yes hold down traction control button for a few seconds and it will appear in the display OFF

You assumed wrongly :wink: I am a keen 1/4m racer and have launched the car on launch control around 175 times now. The gearbox and clutch packs are still as strong as ever. Yes, one hundred and seventy five times. On a manual transmission car, I would have been through 4-5 clutches with the amount of launches I have done. Dont worry about your box, its pretty much bullet proof. No warranty issues with Audi, there is no pre defined limit on how to use launch control. They cant promote a feature on the car and then tell you of a limit on how to use it.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
If you have the gear in S, sports button on and traction control off, press the brake and then gas it should hold about 3100 RPM. If you feel its trying to drive and push against the brakes, release the gas for 2 seconds then gas again. If still not working verify all buttons and settings :)

And about the traction control / esp button. I don't have to press for 3 seconds, works right away for launch control.

Question about it btw, if I hold the button longer the text in DIS changes from Warning - Sports mode, to only 'Sports mode', but it doesn't come with the yellow warning text 'ESP off'. Is there any difference in holding the ESP button longer? I cannot see any changes nor I can notice it.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I agree - the s-tronic box is designed to take launch control in it's stride - with maximum efficiency and minimum strain on the drive train .It does it time after time too - giving you the best launch you're likely to get. I'd think a manual clutch subjected to the same treatment would take a severe battering.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Excellent thanks for that, will be giving that one a try shortly! good to hear the box is reliable, last thing i want to do is batter it and break something!

One final question, the guy i bought it off mentioned it has magnetic ride and said this was built into the s button to turn off, is this right? is there anything that comes up on dash to show its off / on?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Magride is actually always on regardless of pressing the magride button. It also dynamically adjusts it's firmness depending on your speed and road surface. Pressing the button to engage the firmer mode produces a much firmer ride - too hard in fact for all but the best road surfaces, but the difference in ride is unmistakable - the car feels more go kart like, but it's best used on track or the smoothest roads. Give it a go and see what you think.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts