Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all of you out there that have fitted there lovely shiny exhaust trims - did you merely just tighten the screw (after cutting down) as much as possible, or did you add a wee bit of adhesive between the two?
I only ask as when I popped one on this afternoon (ohhh er missus :oops: ) the screw tightens down on the largest diameter of the pipe, not the necked down part of the pipe. So it's only the friction of the screw thats holding it on.
Is this right ? :?:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Popped it on, tightened the screw and (checks out of the window) they are still on a week later! Nothing else. I know other did go to more trouble than me.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sane eric said:
Popped it on, tightened the screw and (checks out of the window) they are still on a week later! Nothing else. I know other did go to more trouble than me.
Cheers for that.
Can you remember (or be good enough to go annd look :roll: ) where the screw was clamping.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
DUO3 NAN said:
Thank fu** you didnt start adding glue. :lol:
I am laughing with you but I don't know why!

If you mean they are not lined up, I know. I am not sure whether I like them flush to the line of the car, as they are without the trims, or if I like them flush to each other, whereby the left hand pipe protrudes beyond the line of the car. Still thinking....and hence still exposing myself to ridicule.....

G

·
sane eric said:
DUO3 NAN said:

If you mean they are not lined up, I know. I am not sure whether I like them flush to the line of the car, as they are without the trims, or if I like them flush to each other, whereby the left hand pipe protrudes beyond the line of the car. Still thinking....and hence still exposing myself to ridicule.....
Reffering to the OP.
Do you know how hot an exhaust tip gets?
Look like a diesel within minutes of driving down the road.

·
Registered
180 Posts
north_wales_tt said:
To all of you out there that have fitted there lovely shiny exhaust trims - did you merely just tighten the screw (after cutting down) as much as possible, or did you add a wee bit of adhesive between the two?
I only ask as when I popped one on this afternoon (ohhh er missus :oops: ) the screw tightens down on the largest diameter of the pipe, not the necked down part of the pipe. So it's only the friction of the screw thats holding it on.
I'm not sure it is.....

Not looking properly I "assumed" it tightened on the widest part and cut doen accordingly - it was then not long enough...oops ( thats the engineer in me)

So, I took car to work where I got access to lots of M5 cap heads so no problem.

If you have done what is below I am sorry for teaching you to suck eggs, but this worked for me.

I found that by turning the exhaust trim the angles ends of the exhaust pipes fitted into the rolled over part of the trim and then the bolts went in "just" onto the necked section - right behind the widest part of the pipe.- - I assumed this was

a: to secure it in place

b: to make sure it couldnt slip forward AT ALL

Seemed perfect to me - AND - I did put a spot of loctite 243 onto the thread.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
DUO3 NAN said:
sane eric said:
DUO3 NAN said:

Reffering to the OP.
Do you know how hot an exhaust tip gets?
Look like a diesel within minutes of driving down the road.
Got it!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
huggy said:
north_wales_tt said:
I'm not sure it is.....

Not looking properly I "assumed" it tightened on the widest part and cut doen accordingly - it was then not long enough...oops ( thats the engineer in me)

So, I took car to work where I got access to lots of M5 cap heads so no problem.

If you have done what is below I am sorry for teaching you to suck eggs, but this worked for me.

I found that by turning the exhaust trim the angles ends of the exhaust pipes fitted into the rolled over part of the trim and then the bolts went in "just" onto the necked section - right behind the widest part of the pipe.- - I assumed this was

a: to secure it in place

b: to make sure it couldnt slip forward AT ALL

Seemed perfect to me - AND - I did put a spot of loctite 243 onto the thread.
Thats exactly what I've done but the screw still seems to be sitting on the bigger diameter.
I've got Loctite 222 Threadlock - also scavenged from work :roll:

Thanks for the photo Eric [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

·
Registered
180 Posts
here are some pics of mine - now I took a pic it looks like the LH trim may need a tweak clockwise to it it in properly - unless its a shadow, need to look when car is out of the garage.

[/img]

G

·
north_wales_tt said:
DUO3 NAN said:
You can get some high temp adhesives/RTV's yunno :-*
Oh, i know that.
But seeing as you were worried about screwing some pipe covers onto your existing exhaust had me worried that you were reaching for the evo stick.

Then you'd be wondering why people were smiling at your car.
It would be the fumes. :wink:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Those garage floor tiles I got off ebay about 2 1/2 yrsa ago for around £120 for a garage almost 5m x 5m.
Genmeral tiles for play room / gym / garage - can get coloured but heck its only a garage and black was perfect and cheaper.
We used to put TV/games console/dart board etc in garage so everyones kids would be in there when we had a party - those tiles warmed the garage up really well, comfortable to sit/kneel / walk barefoot on and just drop down like jigsaw pieces - so if one gets damaged ( like when wife turns steering wheel with car stationary) it can be swapped with another - but they settle back down ok really.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.