Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i will be putting together a full post soon but a bit of a taster (another 6hrs on the car today :roll: )

plane Jane

at the beauty shop for a full makeover

(todays work) well we cant go to the ball without new shoes

more to come :)....thank god getting there now :roll: :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Looking nice Syd those 150 TTR are great modding cars keep up the good work looking forward to seeing it. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]Have you done any brake upgrades yet Syd this is something i would like to do next,my car is going into APS soon so i am going to have talk with Ed about this.

·
Registered
19,838 Posts
Looks great Syd. :D

It's interesting that they measure the paint depth. How much do they take off with that polisher and is there a limit to the number of times you can have that done?

Cheers

Rich :p

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
rustyintegrale said:

It's interesting that they measure the paint depth. How much do they take off with that polisher and is there a limit to the number of times you can have that done?

Cheers

Well from my experience the paint depth tester is only really needed if you need to do massive correction to the paint. Ie. fading, deep scratches, etc. If your going to do a simple machine polish you won't remove a lot if any of the surface. The Audi clear is also very hard also. I machine polish my car every few months and I still have paint on mine :lol:

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rustyintegrale said:

Cheers

on this job as the paint work was so bad we had to remove around 7-10 microns of clear coat just to get an acceptable correction , and that still left a good few deep marks. this car would NEVER be blemish free due to the poor state of the paint and if we did take it as far as needed to be almost perfect , it would probably strike through the clear coat 1st.. so as it is now the QS and this car has some paint flaws still in the clear coat, but they can be machined polished with finishing polish now to freshen up the paint without risk of taking to much clear coat off

·
Registered
19,838 Posts
bigsyd said:
rustyintegrale said:

Cheers

on this job as the paint work was so bad we had to remove around 7-10 microns of clear coat just to get an acceptable correction , and that still left a good few deep marks. this car would NEVER be blemish free due to the poor state of the paint and if we did take it as far as needed to be almost perfect , it would probably strike through the clear coat 1st.. so as it is now the QS and this car has some paint flaws still in the clear coat, but they can be machined polished with finishing polish now to freshen up the paint without risk of taking to much clear coat off
Mmmm, interesting. My car is Brilliant Black or 'flat' black as it's often referred to. Does mine even have a clear coat? :roll: I was under the impression that all this does is give the metallic effect required in some paints.

As you can probably tell I'm pretty ignorant with regard to paint finishes :lol: but i do remember someone saying that all Audi blacks are the same but with just differing topcoats.

Anyway the reason I ask is that my car has been neglected for various reasons lately and I need to take some drastic steps to restore her once beautiful finish!

cheers

rich :p

·
Registered
19,838 Posts
ecko2702 said:
rustyintegrale said:

Cheers

Well from my experience the paint depth tester is only really needed if you need to do massive correction to the paint. Ie. fading, deep scratches, etc. If your going to do a simple machine polish you won't remove a lot if any of the surface. The Audi clear is also very hard also. I machine polish my car every few months and I still have paint on mine :lol:
Yeah Joe, but i believe red is one of the 'harder' colours whereas black is soft - hence why black used to cost extra for more coats. I'm not sure that still applies though... [smiley=gossip.gif]

Cheers

·
Premium Member
14,448 Posts
Great work as always Syd and i'm sure Lynda appreciates it. :)

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I really enjoy these threads, that looks awesome. I have been thinking about getting a polisher, that might just spur me on.
Great effort 8)

·
Registered
814 Posts
rustyintegrale said:
bigsyd said:
rustyintegrale said:

Cheers

Mmmm, interesting. My car is Brilliant Black or 'flat' black as it's often referred to. Does mine even have a clear coat? :roll: I was under the impression that all this does is give the metallic effect required in some paints.

As you can probably tell I'm pretty ignorant with regard to paint finishes :lol: but i do remember someone saying that all Audi blacks are the same but with just differing topcoats.

Anyway the reason I ask is that my car has been neglected for various reasons lately and I need to take some drastic steps to restore her once beautiful finish!

cheers

Mine is Brilliant Black with Clearcoat (paint code is LY9B)

Daz

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.