Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to remove this plastic plate and it’s the bloody plastic screws again .. won’t budge with a posi screw driver I’ve soaked them in wd40 still no joy with them being plastic I don’t want to wreak the head 😩 and one have any tips ? Pic attached … Si
Light Rectangle Grey Wood Line

·
Premium Member
5,889 Posts
I take it that you are wanting to remove the metal bracket underneath if so just use a allen key to get to the bolts there is a gap between the plastic cover and metal bracket.
hth

·
Registered
84,001 Posts
There is a smaller pozidrive head inside the plastic the same as the fixings on the battery trey you might have more luck with a number 2 driver

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a smaller pozidrive head inside the plastic the same as the fixings on the battery trey you might have more luck with a number 2 driver
No I’m trying to get theb2 plastic screws out but I not budging mate just plastic screws rounding off 😩

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Drill them out or heat a flat screw driver up to melt a slot in them to get a grip

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,703 Posts
No I’m trying to get theb2 plastic screws out but I not budging mate just plastic screws rounding off 😩
Hi, The plate that the plastic piece attaches to is held onto front of engine with allen key bolts, may be easier to remove that first.
Hoggy. :)

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
Yeah, mine were completely corroded in place, I tried all sorts to get them out, didn't budge.

As others suggest, remove the two Allen bolts to the manifold, then you can drill our the screws, or replace with the fancy-pants trim.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, mine were completely corroded in place, I tried all sorts to get them out, didn't budge.

As others suggest, remove the two Allen bolts to the manifold, then you can drill our the screws, or replace with the fancy-pants trim.
Cheers buddy for that sounds a plan 🙌🏻

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
The first time that I tried to remove the same plastic piece 1 of the screws came out without any problem and the other was totally seized.
I mangled the head of the other screw in a vain attempt to get it out and then attacked it with a drill.
The act of drilling it out heated the screw so much that it actually loosened it :).
I didn’t know at the time that it could be unbolted to give better access :oops:.

·
Registered
318 Posts
To help getting them out, lift the plate they are bolted to, out first. It is fixed to the inlet manifold by two Alan bolts underneath the plate, then unhook the dipstick holder and lift it out.

It is then much easier to free or drill out the plastic bolts for the plastic cover.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had to drill mine out too, the screws were frozen solid. I put the plastic back with new screws but I love that plate that Hoggy had in his message! I've never seen that over here.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To help getting them out, lift the plate they are bolted to, out first. It is fixed to the inlet manifold by two Alan bolts underneath the plate, then unhook the dipstick holder and lift it out.

It is then much easier to free or drill out the plastic bolts for the plastic cover.
Thanks mate your a star ⭐

1 - 19 of 19 Posts