Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I am so new to the forum I haven't even introduced myself. I will do properly, but in the mean time I could really use some help please?!

The car (mk1 225bhp) started making a vibrating noise (almost like a humming) from the engine bay. It was most noticeable under acceleration between idle and 2500 rpm and got louder with rpm. Shortly after the engine warning light came on.

I've had the code read and it's a P0011, which apparently means 'camshaft A intake retard set point not reached'.

Does anyone have any clue what that is or could be?? Anyone seen this before?

The real kicker is that I only just bought the car. Apparently it had a new cam belt 2 days before. Related??

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tony_rigby_uk said:
Trrible user name... :roll:
Yeah I know, sorry! I've had this username on other forums since I was 16. First car was a Nova, then a Calibra, Astra, then a Vectra. But now I've grown up a bit so it's on to the VAG scene.

So the general consensus is a timing problem. I suspected this anyway to be honest, since just before buying the car it had it's belt done.

What confuses me is what could have changed? It seemed fine on the test drive and on the run home. Surely this should have shown itself earlier?

Booked into the garage on Tuesday as I don't think this is something I can tackle myself. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks all for the replies, looks like a great forum.

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
Usually it takes a while for the error to appear, i know this from when mark hogan had his issue.. sounds like the code has been reset, you've test driven it, they've reset the ECU again when you've gone to pick it up.. if where you bought it from did the cambelt, explain the issue. and the feedback you have had regarding the belt being a tooth out. and they should refit the cambelt.. shouldn't take that long to do, and all problems will be solved..

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Vauxhall Thru & Thru said:
tony_rigby_uk said:
Yeah I know, sorry! I've had this username on other forums since I was 16. First car was a Nova, then a Calibra, Astra, then a Vectra. But now I've grown up a bit

Some terrble cars there!! :D

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
What would worry me is that the belt may be slipping,going by what youve said.

*IF* it was ok then it got worse, it sounds like the tensioner maybe on the way out,but either way id be carefull driving it now,might be worth phone the garage who did the belt to tell them and go by what they say, for example, if they say its ok to drive, then drive it to them,aslong as they will pick up the bill if the tensioner fails or belt slipps some more.

·
Premium Member
3,525 Posts
ades tt 180 said:
tony_rigby_uk said:
Yeah I know, sorry! I've had this username on other forums since I was 16. First car was a Nova, then a Calibra, Astra, then a Vectra. But now I've grown up a bit

:lol: :lol: Yeah, at least he's made up for it now :D

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Marco34 said:
ades tt 180 said:

:lol: :lol: Yeah, at least he's made up for it now :D
Exactly. Finally have a decent ride. I've already had the 'hairdresser's car' and 'mid-life-crisis' comments though lol.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
*UPDATE*

My local garage, who I trust, have had the car a couple of days. They've checked both the timing and tensioner. No faults found. All aligned and correct. They have reset the fault code and taken her on a run out with no further problems.

So I feel a bit worried... why would this sort of problem appear and then go away again?

Any other theories?

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
Hard to say.. if you have a OBD cable and vagcom check the timming corrections.. it could be that the timming code was a old code.. they realised it was a tooth out and sorted it, just didn't reset it. and the vibration is unrelated.. without knowing hoe the vibration is or where it's coming from it's hard to come up with anything... could be the first signs of a coil pack failure. could also get vagcom and check for a misfire count whilst driving it..see if you have a slight misfire.

just keep checking the codes.. even when the light isn't there.. the ECU may pic up something suspect..

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
*UPDATE*

My local garage, who I trust, have had the car a couple of days. They've checked both the timing and tensioner. No faults found. All aligned and correct. They have reset the fault code and taken her on a run out with no further problems.

So I feel a bit worried... why would this sort of problem appear and then go away again?

Any other theories?
Check with your local Audi garage to see if the car is eligible for free coil pack replacement.

It's worth doing anyway and, according to Hoggy, this is a possible reason for the problem/fault code.

Mark.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NoMark said:
Check with your local Audi garage to see if the car is eligible for free coil pack replacement.

It's worth doing anyway and, according to Hoggy, this is a possible reason for the problem/fault code.

Mark.
I've checked with Audi and apparently the coil pack's never been done. So I'll book it in for that. Maybe unrelated, but as your say it's worth doing anyway... especially for free.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tony_rigby_uk said:
Hard to say.. if you have a OBD cable and vagcom check the timming corrections.. it could be that the timming code was a old code.. they realised it was a tooth out and sorted it, just didn't reset it. and the vibration is unrelated.. without knowing hoe the vibration is or where it's coming from it's hard to come up with anything... could be the first signs of a coil pack failure. could also get vagcom and check for a misfire count whilst driving it..see if you have a slight misfire.

just keep checking the codes.. even when the light isn't there.. the ECU may pic up something suspect..
Thanks. I don't have the vagcom kit... is it expensive?

I'll get the coil pack replaced just in case.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts