Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Chaps,
Looking to purchase a DSG knob with a side-stick as mine is pretty tired.
Lots of examples on Ebay which seem to have the button pushed all the way in which needs resetting. (Pic below)
Has anyone managed to reset this before and how difficult is it to do? What tools did you use if so? Have researched using the search function but nothing of significance came up.
Any advice appreciated. :)
Musical instrument Sleeve Gesture Personal protective equipment Fashion accessory

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Quattro Roadster
12,589 Posts
This might help as it discussed the tools required and how to make your own -

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Swiss I did see this, but it covers the newer 'S-Tronic' shift knob with the button on the front.

Unsure if it's the same method with the side button. Interesting to see theirs a VAG release tool available.. pricey at £50+ however on Ebay. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Quattro Roadster
12,589 Posts
From the workshop manual - Transmission, Automatic 6-speed - A005TT01520. You can find it here -

Font Sleeve Terrestrial plant Insect Arthropod

·
Registered
504 Posts
....pricey at £50+ however on Ebay. :confused:
£15 here:

If you follow the guide that Swiss posted a link to, it should be a very similar procedure for the side-button variant.
I've still got mine in a cupboard somewhere from when I swapped over to the newer knob, so I'll try it later.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Managed to find my old one and had a quick play.

Method 1, The easy way: The aluminium ring comes off really easily, just be careful you don't damage the leather - best to use a plastic trim tool if you have one.

Once that is off, the spring mechanism is fairly weak so you can just grip the button with your fingernails and gently pull it out while you reinstall it:
Gesture Finger Thumb Gadget Camera accessory

If you're worried about damaging the leather or the button itself, method two:
get some thickish wire ant twist it into a loop with a handle:
Body jewelry Twig Wood Beige Jewellery

You then go in from the bottom of the knob and fish around for a little lever which you can then pull downwards (the knob will pop out if you do it correctly.
The wire "fishing loop" needs a slight tilt at the end, this is how that tilt should be positioned when going in:
Auto part Metal Fashion accessory Wood Composite material

Hope this helps, be aware that method two is fiddly and will probably require quite a few attempts to successfully hook the little lever.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I dug out an image from my old guide that explains things, this is for the newer type knob, but it works exactly the same (just rotated 90 degrees for the side facing knob)

Arm Human body Jaw Handwriting Gesture

This page of the old guide explains everything:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts