Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I had my cigarette/ashtray assembly removed when Wak fitted my OSIR gauge holders but now I want to get a power feed back into the cockpit. So how am I gonna do this?

I want it to stop feeding power when the ignition is off as this will be used to charge stuff like phone and video cameras etc. A cigar lighter type plug in socket would be fine as the power supply gadget I have to connect in comes with an iPhone connector and two USB sockets. I'd like the wiring to cope with all three outlets being drawn on at once if possible and also run the cameras 'live' as well as charge the phone.

Can it be done?

Thanks,

Rich :)

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Rich,

I think the cig lighter is powered all the time so wouldnt switch off with keys anyway, so would have to tap a new feed.

Think I have seen a thread on one of the stereo installs where they tapped into the back of the fuse board and routed the wire under the steering wheel.

Stu.

Edit - I've seen a couple of nice installs with a multi cig socket in the little cubby hole under the light switch and a good one in the cover by the knee rail.
Edit 2 - Any use? http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~kst/tt/road_angel/how_to_hardwire_a_road_angel.pdf

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you need a switched live go to the internal fuse box and with a meter or test light find a suitable amped output by switching the ignition on and off,then you can attatch a new wire and run it were you require it

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Hoggy said:
Hi Rich, Does your "power supply gadget" reduce the volts from 12v to 5v ? If so
These are an easy way to piggyback onto a Ign live fuse.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Add-Circuit ... 9045043645

or use the Busbar under dash.

Hoggy. :D
+1 to Hoggy's response. If you want you could also fit a 12V socket in the glovebox out of sight.

·
Registered
19,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the pointers guys. :)

I will use this thread as a point of reference once the part I intend using arrives.

Cheers,

Rich :p

·
Registered
19,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.