Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
TTS Vegas Yellow • M5 Sapphire Black
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling all cleaning fanatics! - I'm looking at you Janitor!

I want to buy a pressure washer and a foam lance. I don't want to spend much and I haven't clue what to buy. So whats a half decent and very cheap pressure washer that wont strip the paint of my car but will be good enough for a snow foam wash?

Advice much appreciated. Rebel - don't even bother posting! :wink:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Can't go wrong with a Karcher mate - I paid about £129.99 (whichever model that is) from B&Q - have a look on diy.com

Its great. Especially with some J&J Baby Lotion in the feeder section for shampoo.. :D

·
4,806 Posts
The Argos item will be OK for your weekly wash...keep the nozzle at least 18" away from the paint and any pressure washer will be fine.

Not sure about Mysterio's recommendation for Johnsons Baby lotion as a shampoo - Baby Bath would be much better :wink:

Foam lance? Why? Utter waste...no foam will give you a "touchless" wash and you'll still need to wash by hand. Save your cash!

Dave

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Looks fine pal.

This is mine
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.j ... earch=true

Yours fires out the same amount of water per min, which is easily enough. Your motor is not as strong but I hardly think there's much difference at all. Some are really poor at 800kw or something.

I'd look out for

1. Hose lenght - yours is 3m, mine is 5m. 5m is only just enough for me without being a pain.

2. I don't think you can mix cleaning fluid with yours (hardly makes a difference tbh)

And Dave, I meant Bath - I got that tip from your good self. :D

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jac-in-a-Box said:
The Argos item will be OK for your weekly wash...keep the nozzle at least 18" away from the paint and any pressure washer will be fine.

Not sure about Mysterio's recommendation for Johnsons Baby lotion as a shampoo - Baby Bath would be much better :wink:

Foam lance? Why? Utter waste...no foam will give you a "touchless" wash and you'll still need to wash by hand. Save your cash!

Dave
Hi Dave,

I thought that a snow foam job prior to a hand wash was worth doing? You're the expert so I will be guided by you in this. Is it a waste of time?

My regime (that I have only done once on my Golf and plan to do as soon as I get the car from the dealer) is:

Wash with Meguiars NXT Shampoo
Rinse & Dry
Clay with Meguiars Quik detailing clay
Then use the Meguiars 3 step crystal system (paint cleaner, polish then Carnauba wax).

Does that sound good enough to give me a good result or would you recommend any additional steps?

Cheers,

Derek.

G

·

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Evild Derboy said:
That one will do ya Del - there are more features further up the range, but to get the initial nasty grit and heavy stuff off your car, that'll do the job to be sure

As Dave rightly says though, there will not be a completely 'touchless' solution as such, but many pros use a lance for a heavy coating of foam which is allowed to 'dwell' and help lift the nasty stuff off your car when rinsed. Dave's '18" rule' (ooo er!) is spot on too

From there you'll still need good hand wash technique, but to remove the heaviest grit and muck from the surface first can only be a good thing [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

·
Registered
180 Posts
Janitor said:
Evild Derboy said:
That one will do ya Del - there are more features further up the range, but to get the initial nasty grit and heavy stuff off your car, that'll do the job to be sure

As Dave rightly says though, there will not be a completely 'touchless' solution as such, but many pros use a lance for a heavy coating of foam which is allowed to 'dwell' and help lift the nasty stuff off your car when rinsed. Dave's '18" rule' (ooo er!) is spot on too

From there you'll still need good hand wash technique, but to remove the heaviest grit and muck from the surface first can only be a good thing [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
whadda you know about it.............. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
636 Posts
I got the Lavor Tiger because it came out top in an Auto Express test. Seems pretty good to me but it's my first jetwash so nothing to make a comparison with.

·
4,806 Posts
Evild Derboy said:
I thought that a snow foam job prior to a hand wash was worth doing? You're the expert so I will be guided by you in this. Is it a waste of time?

My regime (that I have only done once on my Golf and plan to do as soon as I get the car from the dealer) is:

Rinse & Dry
Then use the Meguiars 3 step crystal system (paint cleaner, polish then Carnauba wax).

Does that sound good enough to give me a good result or would you recommend any additional steps?

Cheers,

Derek.
TBH Derek, I see no benefits that these costly foams (and applicators) give over natures best solvent - water!

Cars covered in foam look good on pro's sites. A good pre-soak with water and a bast from a jet wash will remove any larger lumps of dirt but you'll still be left with the grime to remove by handwashing as you would with foam.

As you seem to like the Meg's products, wash with a Meg's Microfibre wash mitt. Fabulous value for money, won't hold grit unlike the sheepskin versions and seem indestructable - I just bought a new one after 3 years and countless cars. Not because it failed in any way - it just look grey!

Your cleaning regime sounds fine; but with a new car, I'd suggest skipping the first step of the Megs deep Crystal system - the step 1 paint cleaner is a little too harsh (and uneccessary) on new paint.

You might like to consider using Johnsons Baby Bath as a shampoo once your NXT stuff is finished...the Baby Bath is every bit as good a the high end shampoo's at a fraction of the cost :wink:

Enjoy the new car :)

Dave

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jac-in-a-Box said:
Evild Derboy said:

Rinse & Dry

Cheers,

Derek.
TBH Derek, I see no benefits that these costly foams (and applicators) give over natures best solvent - water!

Cars covered in foam look good on pro's sites. A good pre-soak with water and a bast from a jet wash will remove any larger lumps of dirt but you'll still be left with the grime to remove by handwashing as you would with foam.

As you seem to like the Meg's products, wash with a Meg's Microfibre wash mitt. Fabulous value for money, won't hold grit unlike the sheepskin versions and seem indestructable - I just bought a new one after 3 years and countless cars. Not because it failed in any way - it just look grey!

Your cleaning regime sounds fine; but with a new car, I'd suggest skipping the first step of the Megs deep Crystal system - the step 1 paint cleaner is a little too harsh (and uneccessary) on new paint.

You might like to consider using Johnsons Baby Bath as a shampoo once your NXT stuff is finished...the Baby Bath is every bit as good a the high end shampoo's at a fraction of the cost :wink:

Enjoy the new car :)

Dave
Thanks Dave,

I'll take your advice on this. Knowing that I can skip the paint cleaner step on the Megs Crystal system is welcome news!!!

Thanks again for the advice,

Derek.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.