Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

First post here so please be nice to me :p

12 months ago i took my girlfriends TT 225 to the main Audi dealer to have 2 new tyres and a four wheel alignment as the tyres had servely worn on the inside edge and it was down to the cords. In the end they charged me £1200 :eek: for this as they kept adding other parts that they said it needed.

Just noticed last night that the tyres are exactly the same again, they're worn to cords in the same places!!!!!!!!!

Took it back to the main dealer this morning and they say that we must have hit a pot hole or speed hump to which i told them bo£%*^ks.

They said the only way to find out what happened is do another four wheel alignment which i will have to pay £200 for if they find nothing wrong. If they have done something wrong they said they will replace the tyres and do another alignment FOC.

So my question to everyone is this.

1.Do you think they messed up my original alignment?

2.If they did mess it up will they admit to it?

3.Any words of advise i can use to help me argue my case?

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards, Jon

·
Registered
792 Posts
TT's do tend to wear the insides of the rears more than the rest of the tyre, but unless she's done 20k miles in the last year, there is something wrong here! I had my aligment done last week by a local tyre place, Super Tyres, Maldon. It cost £55 and they use the excellent Hunter equipment. They last did it for me in 2006 and it had only gone slightly out since then. It may be worth getting it checked by an independant before going back to see what the current settings are. Most do a free check and then you pay for the adjustments if required. I can see the point in a main dealer service stamp, but I'd never use them for tyres etc. £1200 is ridiculous :eek: . I was quoted £250 for a couple of Goodyear Eagle F1's last week and with 4 wheel aligment it would be just over the £300 mark.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Hiya mat eI had mine done by my local indie garage and seven weeks later my two front tyres were bald on the outside edge, yes SEVEN weeks!

Yesterday I took it to another local indie and they told me it was 3 degrees out! but also said pot holes and alike would cause this :x

However my car has come out of this dealer with a 2 degree back tyre toe :? which is strange as when it went in it was perfic :? :?:

Im told i need tie bars...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to everyone for there replys.

Sorry i should have said it`s the fronts that are out.

I`ve left it with the main dealer as a bit of a gamble as he did say if they did something wrong he would put new tyres on it and do the alignment for free, and the way i see it they must have made a mistake for the wheels to be back in exactly the same position. Pothole or not surely them being out the same as before is a million to one chance.

Any more advise on this subject would be great

Kind Regards, Jon

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
jbell said:
Take the car to your local tyre fitter that does laser 4 wheel alignment - if you have a protyre near you they are the best
NOT IN GLOS THO!

Take to Chris Mullens round teh corner

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jbell said:
My advise would never to let an Audi main dealer do alignment, they are rip off merchants, it should cost around £60 not £200
like I say it is a bit of a gamble, if they do put there hands up and say we messed up then I'll be saving the £60 and the cost of the 2 new fronts.

Anyone ever had Audi back down and admit responsability for a mistake?

Kind Regards, Jon

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
In my experience a garage will NEVER admit to making a mistake or causing a problem. Even when they have the evidence stacked against them they will buy time (ie: tell you they will call you back etc) until they have thought of an excuse that gets them off the hook.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Snake TT said:
In my experience a garage will NEVER admit to making a mistake or causing a problem. Even when they have the evidence stacked against them they will buy time (ie: tell you they will call you back etc) until they have thought of an excuse that gets them off the hook.
I've got a feeling you will be right but the service manager did tell me to my face that he wouldn't lie to me

the odd thing is we were in the same dealership only a few days ago trying to decide on either a new TTS or TTRS

If this doesn't come out my way both me and this particular dealership will be out of pocket

THanks, Jon

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Guys,

Just got a phone call from Audi and they have checked the alignment of the car. As far as there concerned the alignment has not moved and the car is still perfectly setup!!!!!!!!!!!

So do all other TT drivers have 6mm of tread left on the outside of there front tyres and the cords of the tyre showing on the inside?

Will be taking the car from Audi tomorrow and dropping it of at an independant to be checked over.

One guy never buying an Audi again

Thanks for listening

Jon

·
Registered
28,018 Posts
Roadkilled said:
Just got a phone call from Audi and they have checked the alignment of the car. As far as there concerned the alignment has not moved and the car is still perfectly setup!!!!!!!!!!!
So where in this phone call did Audi offer some customer service and advise you what else could cause this problem.

Is the end of the matter that the alignment is good and the car will now chew up tyres and they have no opinion on what else may be wrong?

Have they reviewed the bushes on the suspension and wishbone and offer any indication of what could be causing this, seems a basic customer service thing to do if they appreciate you have brought the car back unhappy from the last alignment.

·
Registered
2009 2.0TDI CBB Quattro Roadster
1,283 Posts
which dealership are we dealing with it helps as some are known for shurking their duties, in this alignment they did look at the tracking as well as if the wheels are true running didnt they? they should have its all part of it,

track rods may be worn, bushes, bottom ball joint bolts may be loose etc

they should have checked all this and told you why it was happening

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wak said:
Roadkilled said:
So where in this phone call did Audi offer some customer service and advise you what else could cause this problem.

Is the end of the matter that the alignment is good and the car will now chew up tyres and they have no opinion on what lese may be wrong?

Have they reviewed the bushes on the suspension and wishbone and offer any indication of what could be causing this, seems a basic customer service thing to do if they appreciate you have brought the car back unhappy from the last alignment.
Funny you should say that......they have just rung back and said there is excesive play in some bushes that "MAY" have caused this problem!!!!!

Told them to do nothing and i'll be collecting the car in the morning and returning the brouchers for the TTRS we were so close to buying from them. I have not used this fact as a bargaining tool though, just wanted to see there customer service when things weren't straight forward.

Thanks Everyone for all there quick and helpful advice, Jon

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks phodge, I'm ok for an independant garage thanksyou anyway.

Highly do not recommend Gilders of Sheffield to do any work to any cars

I have always taken my M3 to the main dealer and know I pay over the odds for be pleasure but if here has been a problem they have always sorted without cost or fuss. Not all main dealers are he same.

Thanks everyone for there help

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.