Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,
I have have had my TT plate for a few years now and it has gained in value quite a bit even in the financial turmoil we are in at the moment. I have to say that I get a kick out of mine every time I see it and as it is the year I was born (old fart, yes I know). But I am glad I bought it.
Our house has devalued slightly and the TT has lost quite a bit over the last three years, even our investments have stumbled, but the plate has gone up.
So, are you other guys glad you bought one too?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Yep might not be a short plate i have but is still would cost over double if not 3 times what i paid for it now.

The old DVLA prefix style plates have gone up a fair bit from the start price of £250 of years ago.....

I know a lot people have views over private plates - love / hate but i think a TT needs one! (i'll get shot for that now)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Interesting post. How do you know your plate has increased in value - have you received an inflated offer for it or are you looking at similar plates for sale?

I doubt my private plate has changed much in value (pre fix 6 digits). But I do like it - adds a nice touch and is personal to me (reads my surname and initial) and not the car so I can easily take it with me...

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
Love my plate, just had it transferred to my new car. :D

·
Registered
84,232 Posts
I have 3 AJS plates on my cars and for the first time in years I had a look to see what was on offer and I could not believe the prices they were asking

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
How do you know how much its worth ? If its personal ( which you say it is) then surely its only worth what someone is willing to pay, and being so personal to your d.o.b, the market is that wide.

However I love my plate and think its the best thing I have ever bought. Hell I even had it before I could even drive and had a car.

·
Registered
84,232 Posts
tonksy26 said:
How do you know how much its worth ? If its personal ( which you say it is) then surely its only worth what someone is willing to pay, and being so personal to your d.o.b, the market is that wide.

However I love my plate and think its the best thing I have ever bought. Hell I even had it before I could even drive and had a car.
I have been told I have the most common initials in the country so that should help with the value :p

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hiya,
Bought it in 2004 and was offered three times what I paid for it in 2008. Then as we know the fan had this and that hit it so things lost value apart from a few bankers bonuses. A couple of years ago the offer was down to double what I paid, but having had so many compliments together with the kicks of seeing it on my TT and that it has not actually lost anything has to be a couple of good points for splashing out on such a silly item in the first place. :D

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
ive just recently bought a private plate for my tt, and i am very happy with it, (hides the age of your car to :D )
bought it for £255 and did a free valuation with national plates and was told its worth £1000 so well happy with my purchase

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Yes i love my plate.... took a while to get hold of it. Worked well on my alfa GT and now on my TT ,it will be with me forever. :p I don't have a plate to hide the age of my car or that it has my Initials lest i forget?? :) Just because its personally special to me.

Damien.

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
daztheblue1976 said:
just think it looks better with a private plate then a plate that says im 10 years old :? some people might find that strange like my missus did when i told her :eek:
I hated seeing mine on a 51 plate before i swapped my plate over. Not just you that thinks like that :lol:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
tonksy26 said:
daztheblue1976 said:
just think it looks better with a private plate then a plate that says im 10 years old :? some people might find that strange like my missus did when i told her :eek:
I hated seeing mine on a 51 plate before i swapped my plate over. Not just you that thinks like that :lol:
ahhhh good im not alone there then!!! :p

·
Registered
666 Posts
Bought my first plate last year and love it! Waiting to put it on after I've had a trip to nurburg next month.
Gutted I missed out on a perfect plate that spelt my surname a few years ago. About 10 years ago it was for sale at £1250, and now it's up for £15,000!! Wouldn't care how much it would be worth to sell if I had it as I'd never sell it, but hopefully one day I can :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.