Audi TT Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Is the quad exhaust normal for the 3.2 (sorry, mines a 2l and only the TTS has 4 pipes.)
Any idea what state the tyres are in (brand, mm tread...)
Does it come with the number plate?!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Is the quad exhaust normal for the 3.2 (sorry, mines a 2l and only the TTS has 4 pipes.)
Any idea what state the tyres are in (brand, mm tread...)
Does it come with the number plate?!
No the exhaust is a Miltek, not sure on the tyres, didn't think to ask !! yes it comes with the plate.

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
96,880 Posts

Quick video walkaround.
Hi, Looks very nice.
Just noticed DSG oil/filter only been replaced once. Filter is always suspect as not normally replaced by VAG dealer.
Hoggy. :)

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
An M4 number plate would sell well to BMW community.
But a non-standard exhaust - and what else modded - needs a few more questions

Reactions: boingti

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
96,880 Posts
I'll book it in for a DSG/Haldex service as soon as I get it, if I get it.
Hi, Make sure you insist the DSG filter is replaced as it's not normally on the Audi replace schedule.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
[QUOTE="Jezzie, post: 9571405, member: 302705"
[/QUOTE]
How new is the Miltek? What’s been done with the cat, resonator, downpipe etc? Is it going to pass the strictest mot tester for emissions and noise? If a previous owner spent a grand on the exhaust it’s highly likely he did other stuff. Who changed the number plate?
Has it got the original ‘infotainment’? Bose?
Quite a lot of info we don’t know that would help say go for it or run a mile.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
[QUOTE="Jezzie, post: 9571405, member: 302705"
How new is the Miltek? What’s been done with the cat, resonator, downpipe etc? Is it going to pass the strictest mot tester for emissions and noise? If a previous owner spent a grand on the exhaust it’s highly likely he did other stuff. Who changed the number plate?
[/QUOTE]
I wll ask :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
[/QUOTE]
Exhaust was fitted in 2016 with a reciept for £700 present, plate was changed by previous owner and the current one is happy to let it go with the car.

·
Administrator
96,880 Posts
Exhaust was fitted in 2016 with a reciept for £700 present, plate was changed by previous owner and the current one is happy to let it go with the car.
[/QUOTE]
Hi, No probs there then.

·
Registered
2007 Audi TT Quattro 3.2 Manual Roadster Petrol Blue & Ice Blue Nappa
484 Posts
Dunno if it’s just me, but in the first video, when he revs the car up to 2000rpm a few times, it doesn’t sound right to me at all - something sounds “metallic” as it hits 2k and drops back down. I know my 3.2 doesn’t sound like that. As for the dreaded “marbles in a can” sound for the timing chain, he doesn’t seem to hang around long enough for any clear indication, but with something like VCDS or OBDEleven, you could measure any stretch on the chain by looking at certain blocks such as 208,209,90,91.

She looks nice, I’ll say that. But looks can deceive and if I were you, I’d want to be sure before buying.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Dunno if it’s just me, but in the first video, when he revs the car up to 2000rpm a few times, it doesn’t sound right to me at all - something sounds “metallic” as it hits 2k and drops back down. I know my 3.2 doesn’t sound like that. As for the dreaded “marbles in a can” sound for the timing chain, he doesn’t seem to hang around long enough for any clear indication, but with something like VCDS or OBDEleven, you could measure any stretch on the chain by looking at certain blocks such as 208,209,90,91.

She looks nice, I’ll say that. But looks can deceive and if I were you, I’d want to be sure before buying.
Cheers Stevie, I think the exhaust rattle at 2k is just vibrating on a heat shield, I had exactly the same thing on my mk1 years ago, it was an easy fix. He only has a very basic scanner (which says there are no stored faults on the car) but he can't use it to read the blocks, I have an ODBEleven on order but I don't think it will be with me in time to go and see it on the weekend, I'm really not sure what to do lol.

·
Registered
2007 Audi TT Quattro 3.2 Manual Roadster Petrol Blue & Ice Blue Nappa
484 Posts
I can’t really say what to do or not. I bought mine a bit like Jezzie, it mine was not a dealer, more like a small auto trader via eBay 😲

August 21, fell in love. I’m in north wales, car in Kent (Sorry to anyone in London but images of Del Boy came to mind) Covid. Getting down there and driving back (if I bought) was gonna cost a fortune given rail prices, 3.2 mpg on the way home etc. I had a full RAC inspection done at around £200+ back then, was worth it, I think. My private seller put right a few issues - CV boot, regas of air con, high level brake light and a bit of paintwork also done.

I was happy with the RAC report and the vendor putting a few things right. I bought mine without even seeing her in the flesh. I also arranged a transporter to collect the car and bring it to me via Shiply at a cost of another £200ish.

I only paid in full via BACS when the transporter guy sent me pics of her loaded on his transporter. She arrived at mine several hours later and I have zero regrets - even though it was probably one of the most scariest things I’d ever done with several thousands of pounds, but there ya go……

Your intended car looks great, good history etc. It’s just one of those things….do you or don’t you? - it’s a bit like sitting in the chair on who wants to be a millionaire…..we can all shout “go for it” when we’re watching at home - a bit different when it’s you in the chair, or your money on the line, isn’t it?

Ive since had a full haldex service at Audi (filter and fluid, although they couldn’t do the pre-filter on the pump as it was seized on but working fine - job for another day) and also a full major service at VW at a rough cost of £700 all in. Taking no chances. All my previous MOT history had very little wrong other than the CV boot which was rectified by the seller.

My chain at 80k shows a bit of stretch, -1 and -3 on the blocks to measure. Yours didn’t sound particularly like “marbles in a can” near the oil cap, from what I know.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I guess it really depends on how much spare money you have for the servicing and in case something comes up. I'd never buy a TT with mods from a private seller until I had the chance to properly inspect it, plug it in, etc. Considering the distance I'd be thinking of hiring the RAC or similar to do a pre purchase inspection ahead of my own.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 66 Posts