Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I purchased a 2002 225 Audi TT a week ago and when looking through the service history etc, I noticed that on the last service, which was done 2000 miles ago, the garage used Semi Synthetic oil. After doing loads of research I see that the recommended oil is Castrol Edge 5W30 fully synthetic. I now plan on carrying out an oil change in 2 weeks. (Would do it earlier but stupidly busy)

Perhaps I am being slighty paranoid, but will the car be ok running on this semi synthetic oil for the next couple of weeks?

Cheers
Growler

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
97,162 Posts
Hi Growler, Can't see that it would cause any real probs short term, but replace asap.to be sure, especially if you intend keeping for along time. Correct spec is 503.01 or latest spec 504/507. Common oils Castrol edge 5w-30 & Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30.
I always use Motul Oil from Opie Oils.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
84,370 Posts
I would change it ASAP for the correct oil

·
Premium Member
3,525 Posts
It's not going to be a big deal using semi. The protection will be there. Oils are a huge bag of worms as far as discussion goes and I have read and researched for years. The semi cannot last as long as the synthetic oils but for another few weeks you aren't going to be in any bother.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Quick question - how much oil does the 1.8T take? Assuming you drained it for as long as was reasonable, changed the filter, and then started filling up, roughly how much would you need from empty?

Cheers,

Steve

·
Registered
492 Posts
4.5 litres or slightly less I use edge and buy 1 4l container and one 1l leaves 1/2l for top up if necessary cheers salty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.