Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I know a few of us are looking to do this mod however the R8 gearknob will NOT fit a standard TT gear selector (can't think of correct name). I went into Audi Portsmouth and the parts bloke there said I could remove the knob off the showroom R8. Judging by eye (so a guess) the R8 one screws onto an M8 thread, couldn't gauge the pitch but I assume it's M8 x1.

FYI the R8 I removed the knob from was a 6 speed manual box and the knob it's self was made of aluminium and wasn't too heavy. Also I will ask the price of both the knurled and leather ones when I go back there on friday. And to get some pics of course ;)

So to make it fit I can think of 3 options;
1. You could drill out the internals and re-tap it to the standard TT shaft. Hmm....
2. Remove your gear selector? (I think thats right) and turn down the OD of the shaft and re-tap it to suit.
3. Make male to female adaptor that mates the stock TT gear selector shaft. However this will increase your shaft length (gigedy) unless you cut down and re-tap your shaft (OUCH!)

So.....who's going to do this first?

Mark

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
why would you want to?

it won't make the TT faster and being in the TT won't make the R8 gear knob better looking.

just my 2p.

cheers.

·
Registered
278 Posts
TTQ2K2 said:
why would you want to?

it won't make the TT faster and being in the TT won't make the R8 gear knob better looking.

just my 2p.

cheers.
What a great helpful comment..... :roll:

Ive always found Portsmouth Audi very helpful (Recently went there for a Coilpack recall last weekend)

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Give the guy a break. It might not be your ideal mod but we are not sheep. Individualism is OK by me. I don't see people being slagged off for making their 150, 180 or 225 look like a qs or v6

·
Registered
709 Posts
So I take it this is a Genuine Audi R8 part?

Drilling and re tapping would be your only hope I would think.

Charlie on here sells an R8 Shiftgate plate with a R8 style "knob", maybe he will have a better solution.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
olibb said:
TTQ2K2 said:
why would you want to?

just my 2p.

cheers.
What a great helpful comment..... :roll:

Ive always found Portsmouth Audi very helpful (Recently went there for a Coilpack recall last weekend)
forum = discussion. :wink: again, just my 2p.

cheers

·
Registered
709 Posts
OeTT said:
Give the guy a break. It might not be your ideal mod but we are not sheep. Individualism is OK by me. I don't see people being slagged off for making their 150, 180 or 225 look like a qs or v6
I agree, Plus from what I remember it's just a polished ball... no way of knowing it is fron an R8.

Edit:

Maybe not then! lol

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TTQ2K2 said:
why would you want to?
Well I think OeTT sumed this one up for me. Someone may not like your choice in car (example) but it's all personal preferences when it boils down to it.

Pot Of Jam said:
So I take it this is a Genuine Audi R8 part?
It is indeed the genuine part 8)

Guys this is simply an informative post. I know I have wondered myself if it fit's so when I was at the dealership I took the opportunity to ask the question and find out, that's all. I do like the style so let's see who is the first person to bite the bullet and try this (not me btw) [smiley=book2.gif]

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Pot Of Jam said:
OeTT said:
I agree, Plus from what I remember it's just a polished ball... no way of knowing it is fron an R8.

Edit:

Maybe not then! lol
+1 made my own :roll: cheaper than the stealers M12 x 1.25 thread :mrgreen:

·
Registered
14,436 Posts
The r8 gear knob is ugly in my opinion, the oem facelift tt knob is by far the best looking or maybe forge big knob it's close. everything else is a distant third.

But it's your car, you can put a plastic skull with flashing red eyes on it if you want :p

·
Premium Member
3,022 Posts
Nick 225TT said:
Pot Of Jam said:
OeTT said:

Edit:

Maybe not then! lol
+1 made my own :roll: cheaper than the stealers M12 x 1.25 thread :mrgreen:

12x1.5!!!! I know this having just made 30 of the things!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts