Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just starting to replace the water thermostat so got the bottom engine cover removed and gaining access to the drain tap.

Now I was surprised to find that the bottom of the radiator is free to move about 5-10mm. Is that correct? I was kind of expecting the radiator to be fixed more securely. If I wiggle the top of the radiator it seems securely held, but if I wiggle the bottom of the radiator it seems to pivot towards the top, as if the top mounts are good but its lost a bottom mount.

Is this normal or have I found something that needs attention?

thanks

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Ive drained my coolant and didnt feel any play in the radiator...didnt look to see where it fixes though.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The rad and the air con rad are bolted together and then they both slide into the front panel on 4 plastic bush type things on each corner, there will be some slight movement, nothing to worry about. If you ever strip off the front end you'll see what i mean.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Shalo said:
Cool cheers, think I might introduce a few bits of rubber anyway to cushion it
The bushes have kind of a rubber centre that pushes on to the lugs which are at the four corners of the rad once they are slid into the front panel there should be no real movement. They can be a bit fiddly to get it all back into the front panel, so if there is definate movement chances are one of the bushes is missing, but having said that, if assembled correctly they dont fall/come off. hope this helps.

Howie.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts