Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..well kind of.

I knocked my hazards on accidentally while driving the other day (meant to put on the window demister), and promptly whacked the button again to turn them off. However, I must've pressed too hard as the button went further back than it should have, and was just loose behind the dash.

Ive had this before, when my alarm went off whilst I was sitting in the car. On that occassion, I removed the radio with some keys and reached up to put the button back I place.

However, I've now gone to do the same, and I can't for the life of me get the radio out - I've admittedly been using the floppy metal aftermarket ones (got some better ones on order). Now, somehow the radio won't work and I've got a big hole where my hazard switch should be - with what looks like predator peering at me.

Any ideas??

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,350 Posts
Hi, You have probably disconnected something trying to remove radio, wait till you get some decent keys & try again.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
28,013 Posts
jam. said:
New keys have arrived, but they don't seem to click onto anything in the slots. So I can't remove the radio.

Brill.

:/
you have them in the right way round?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Mine is an a**e to get out, I think the previous owner liked removing it on a daily basis. I aim slightly upwards with the keys, then push to the side. Mine don't click into place either, but I can still get it out with a bit of brute force :lol:

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
jam. said:
I've had them in both ways round. I can get the right hand side one to click if I push it hard enough, but it comes loose when I pull.
I had this problem on my S3. It seems that someone before me had used something other than the correct tools to remove it and bent the metals locking tabs. You may be able to just wiggle the keys around a bit until they bite, other wise brute force may have to be employed. I had to do this and then bend the tabs back to the correct position once the head unit was out.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. The way I got it out was by using the 1 key on the left side first and popping my finger in the cassette to get a grip (or use something to stick in it that wont damage the radio but will give you some grip) and I pulled it out at the left side and then the right side (also popping a key in the right side to release it) and it eventually 'wiggled' out.

Good luck :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pot Of Jam said:
1. Take one Danny Golver.
2. Lure out Predator with said Danny Glover.
3. Persuade him to bring Hazard switch out with him.

Hope this helps your Predator problem.
I didn't have a Danny Glover to hand, only an Arnold Schwarzenegger and he was useless. Utterly useless.

Anyone got a pic of the side of one of these head units so I know where to aim/unhook a bit better?

·
Registered
138 Posts
sploits said:
I had the same problem with mine. The way I got it out was by using the 1 key on the left side first and popping my finger in the cassette to get a grip (or use something to stick in it that wont damage the radio but will give you some grip) and I pulled it out at the left side and then the right side (also popping a key in the right side to release it) and it eventually 'wiggled' out.

Good luck :D
I did the exact same thing with mine, although the key i thought hadn't gone in properly actually had. I just ended up shoving both of my key in and pulling on the locked in key and the radio with my finger through the cassette player, bit of wiggling and it came lose.

Although i bet that predator look looks cool!! 8)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've tried wedging two keys in one slot to try and help prise the head unit out. I've tried keys in upside down back to front, I've bent them up, bent them down, wiggled all over the shop. Nothing.

Here, have a wonderful one-handed video..

Mafz said:
I did the exact same thing with mine, although the key i thought hadn't gone in properly actually had. I just ended up shoving both of my key in and pulling on the locked in key and the radio with my finger through the cassette player, bit of wiggling and it came lose.
You make that sound so easy. And possible.

Mafz said:
Although i bet that predator look looks cool!! 8)
No, just broken...

... ok, maybe a little bit.

I finally sort my car out and get it running, then a little annoyance like this pops up.
Doing my nut in!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
It might be stiff, if the keys are in you might have to wiggle it about, I wouldnt go smashing anything, you could try popping to an audio shop and asking them if they can get it out for you.. If you have both keys in can you not pull on the unit, say through the tape slot with you hand, don't pull your knob, it might come off :p Right key in your film sounded like it clicked into position, the other didn't..

http://www.wak-tt.com/radio-ii/radio-ii.htm

Part number for Audi keys in top pic, may be better than copies.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They keys I have are practically identical to the Audi ones as far as I'm aware.
My 'film' is evidence of this.

I tried pulling from the cassette slot and nearly became a headunitfingered freak for eternity. I'm staying away from the knob.

The right key does click, but just pops straight out when you pull.

Annoyance.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After ages pulling, twisting and swearing I finally got it out. However, the front fascia came off first. I thought I'd killed it completely then, but it seems to just plug onto the body of the head unit as if it were a removable one. When it came out, two clips fell out too, which I assume were the culprit.

However, nothing seemed to be disconnected at the back - so, despite me unplugging everything to check for loose connections then plugging back in - it still doesn't work. I then checked the 5A fuse in the back of the unit and it appeared to be dead - but I only have 15A fuses in that size. Chucked that in, nothing.

Poor CD changer doesn't know whats going on, whirring about like a madman.

This car is turning into a massive ballache.

On the upside, I got the Hazard light switch back in to position!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts