Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick qeury, last night whilst out with a mate i managed to run out of petrol for the first time ever!!

thing is my petrol warning light came on and i was out of petrol within around 3 miles.... any ideas if you guys have had the same problem? surely it should allow you drive a decent amount of miles before it completly chokes?

Thanks Alex

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Would have thought you would get more than 3 miles of juice past the warning light but i suppose the gauge isnt really that accurate.

I think its roughly a gallon of reserve from the light coming on so if your fuel consumption was increased by heavy driving or somesuch then its probably right.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Had the same thing happen some time back Alex .. was on M25 and light came on looked at the trip which told me I had 40 miles left and within about 10 - 12 miles later I run out of petrol ... this was about the same time as my Dashpod was playing up too :roll:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Fuel sender problem?

Mine was changed right before i bought the car. The previus owner ran out of petrol and was towed to the stealers.

Fredrik

·
Registered
560 Posts
Sciroccgtx16v said:
Fuel sender problem?

Mine was changed right before i bought the car. The previus owner ran out of petrol and was towed to the stealers.

Fredrik
Mine was deff NOT the fuel sender - Audi confirmed it was ok when they told me the DP wasn't !!!! :x

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
my warning comes on and says 40 mls to go,, i have pushed it to 52 !!!!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've ran out of petrol twice already in the space of a few months due to bloody dashpod problem. Can only let my guage get halfway now, anything less and it runs out! :oops:

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Mine comes on when the DIS reads 25 miles until empty but I have run another 20 miles with it on zero before.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Always fill her when there's about 30/40 range left as I don't want all the nasty shiz at the bottom of the tank clogging my fuel filter up. Had an experience with how much that can impact on performance before and I vowed never again.

·
Registered
13,711 Posts
I trust neither the fuel gauge nor the DIS. Feckers have both let me down before, so I fill up when approaching 400 miles - which is what I get on a tank. Then I see how close to 62 litres I get - it's usually in proportion to how close to 400 miles I did. Pushed my luck one day - did 410 miles, filled up, and she took 61 litres... :wink:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Mondo said:
I trust neither the fuel gauge nor the DIS. Feckers have both let me down before, so I fill up when approaching 400 miles - which is what I get on a tank. Then I see how close to 62 litres I get - it's usually in proportion to how close to 400 miles I did. Pushed my luck one day - did 410 miles, filled up, and she took 61 litres... :wink:
You need to drive the car a little harder if your getting those kind of miles. :p

I had good mileage when I first got the car, as I was adjusting to the car. Now I get around 320 miles to a tank, I do a heck of a lot of city driving though. I have a 40 mile drive down country roads to football each weekend. Amazing!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
13,711 Posts
I did drive it once in the manner a few Forum members seem to adopt regularly :roll: honestly, officer... :oops: but there were mitigating circumstances. I had a 35-mile drive to Heathrow to catch a flight, loadsa time, got about 2/3 of the way there and thought... PASSPORT! :eek: :eek: Charged up to the next off-ramp, quick turn-around and a stomp back home, dash upstairs to grab said document and went like the preverbial to get to the airport in time. Made the gate with 5 minutes to spare. Phew!

(and no, I didn't think to reset the trip computer to see what my MPG were for that run :lol: )

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
My gauge reads wrong so I only go by the miles left readout which has been accurate on mine but your problems could be the secondary float in the opposite side of the tank to the fuel pump
As the tank is like a saddle bag when the tank is more than half full it equalises the level, when you let the level go down the pick up will only pick up from one side of the tank or if you go round a right hand bend the fuel is thrown into the left hand side of the tank (the opposite side to the fuel pump and the pick up). To counteract this a second level is in the left hand side of the tank to divert the pick up to a pipe on that side.
If this float is faulty (sometimes fill with petrol and sink) then your extra miles of petrol could be in the tank but on the opposite side to the pump.
Cheers Graham

·
Registered
367 Posts
Mondo said:
I did drive it once in the manner a few Forum members seem to adopt regularly :roll: honestly, officer... :oops: but there were mitigating circumstances. I had a 35-mile drive to Heathrow to catch a flight, loadsa time, got about 2/3 of the way there and thought... PASSPORT! :eek: :eek: Charged up to the next off-ramp, quick turn-around and a stomp back home, dash upstairs to grab said document and went like the preverbial to get to the airport in time. Made the gate with 5 minutes to spare. Phew!

(and no, I didn't think to reset the trip computer to see what my MPG were for that run :lol: )
Wow that must have been a panic!

I'd imagine a great drive though, gets your heart going when your against the clock. :p :p :p

My Dad had a similar one once, was in Spain at the time and interpol got involved. lol. He had 300 miles to cover though, so I guess you can imagine.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
When I do a nav run rally I get 160 miles to the tank
Good job we only do 5 a year!!!
Graham

·
Registered
478 Posts
Grahamstt said:
My gauge reads wrong so I only go by the miles left readout which has been accurate on mine but your problems could be the secondary float in the opposite side of the tank to the fuel pump
As the tank is like a saddle bag when the tank is more than half full it equalises the level, when you let the level go down the pick up will only pick up from one side of the tank or if you go round a right hand bend the fuel is thrown into the left hand side of the tank (the opposite side to the fuel pump and the pick up). To counteract this a second level is in the left hand side of the tank to divert the pick up to a pipe on that side.
If this float is faulty (sometimes fill with petrol and sink) then your extra miles of petrol could be in the tank but on the opposite side to the pump.
Cheers Graham
I just realized that my fuel gauge shows wrong values and moves itself up-down by a few mm; I have done output test of Instruments and all gauges/odometers were okay, then I compared values from VAGCOM and gauge and they are the same ... so I assume fuel sender(s) are faulty ...

Question is how to diagnose which sender of 2 is faulty ?

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Hi Dan
Only the sender on the fuel pump is for the gauge the second one only operates the pick up pipe selection
if youve got incorrect fuel readings it is more than likely the dash unit
Must see you again soon [smiley=cheers.gif]
Graham

·
Registered
478 Posts
Grahamstt said:
Hi Dan
Only the sender on the fuel pump is for the gauge the second one only operates the pick up pipe selection
if youve got incorrect fuel readings it is more than likely the dash unit
Must see you again soon [smiley=cheers.gif]
Graham
Hi Graham,
that is not what I wanted to hear :cry: ... I have got incorrect fuel reading on gauge and on DIC as well, they both show pretty same, therefore I thought it could by sender not faulty dash. Also VAGCOM readings are same as gauge ...

Anyway yes we must meet again, just PM me when you are available 8) [smiley=cheers.gif] ....

I have replaced vacuum suction jet pump and PCV valve last weekend, but can't check if my problem still persist because temperature must be under 5 C ... :eek:

Take care,
Dan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.