Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
List any rattles you have and/or used to have in your MK2 TT, and if resolved, what the offending part/trim was and the fix if known.

This will serve nicely as a knowledge base for all owners. Personally rattles are a pet hate, so some help for all wont go amiss.

Please offer up solutions to any issues listed if they are unresolved.

in my previous TT I had:

- Rattle from speedo surround and occasionally the dash pod. If you remove the plastic plaque below the DIS there are the bolts which can be tightened, I found this helped.

Current TT:

- Recaro Seat creaks when going round corners, I think it simply wants everything tightening up (currently at Audi for this)
- Recaro seat shoulder lever to fold seat, the actual lever itself is rattling in the plastic shoulder housing. I believe Audi are replacing.
- Occasional buzz from climat control casing, unresolved as of yet, however extremely rare.
- Buzz coming from driver air vent, tweeter speaker area. Not isolated yet.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Centre Console - dealer replaced ash tray - Fixed
Parcel shelf supports - broken clip and causes rattles - known weak spot

car is with dealer before it goes out of warranty to cure:
A-Pillar rattle PAX side
Dash rattle
Drivers door rattle
Rattle from or near rear speaker PAX side

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
creaking from seatbelt rubbing near the handbrake area
fixed my putting something soft inbetween (seems to be fixed on some cars as my rs already has a factory looking soft bit down there.

really bad rattle that i thought was coming from glovebox but it was the A pillar
Impossible to diagnose, took it to Audi many many times before they finally fixed it. The fix was simple in the end, it wasnt the glovebox it was the a pillar trim. they removed the trim and re tightened all the fixings and it was cured. Was a real pain in the ass, nearly sold the car because of this.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jamiekip said:

A-Pillar rattle PAX side
Dash rattle
Drivers door rattle
Keep us updated on the results.

I wonder if they have removed your Milltek to identify the rattles :lol:

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Mine is, thankfully, rattle free after 3.5 years.

I seem to remember the climate noise as being a rub between the bottom edge of the module and the top of the centre console. Any movement between the 2 surfaces results in a plastic rub noise. Resloved by inserting a thin foam strip, IIRC.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
The rear hatch lid, adjust the 2 rubber bump stops.

Also creak from around the lighting switch module thingy, careful application of silicon spray cured it

·
Registered
786 Posts
None on my Mk1

On the MY07 Mk2 -
Fixed:
Rear rattle, sounded like a loose exhaust. Turned out to be the plastic shroud on the trailing arm had been lost and the remainder around the shock was rattling. Dealer said that the shrouding had been redesigned since the car was released. New plastic fitted.
Buzzing from drivers door. Sounded like speakers. Was actually the result of a previous owner taking the door card off and bodging it with hot glue. Card replaced under warranty. All quiet.
Ongoing:
High frequency buzz on some road surfaces from ash tray area and/or passenger tweeter.

I'd be very interested in hearing if anyone has those buzzes and what they did to fix it.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
TondyTT said:
jamiekip said:

A-Pillar rattle PAX side
Dash rattle
Drivers door rattle
Keep us updated on the results.

I wonder if they have removed your Milltek to identify the rattles :lol:
They tried to replace it under warranty once, advising the baffles must have got blown out... LOL

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Passenger seat belt rattles between seat and car body when no passenger.
Solution, either pull round side of seat or clip in as if occupied...

Anyone got any tips on drivers side seatbelt, nightmare to reach for when sat in seat. Anyone make holders / extensions like on 3 series convertibles?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Drivers seat belt receiver creaking loudly......cure? Force it upside down and spray with wd40

Rattle from ashtray area...cure? Open and reclose ashtray

Annoying sound from the passenger seat....cure? Stop and kick out the wife.. 8)

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Shug750S said:

Anyone got any tips on drivers side seatbelt, nightmare to reach for when sat in seat. Anyone make holders / extensions like on 3 series convertibles?
I forgot that one, I drop my daughter to school and when she gets out the metal thing always rattles on the side panel, have to lean over and raise the male silver part sliding it up the belt to sit on the top part of the seat, stops it perfect....

Reaching the seatbelt? Get in and rather than try to grab belt from the top either with left or right hand.....reach down with your right hand and grab the belt from the bottom instead, you know by the seat electric buttons, makes life so much easier

·
Registered
350 Posts
passenger seat-belt rattles when there's a passenger strapped in. Originally fixed by Audi but has re-appeared intermitently

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
igotone said:
On my third TT and nary a rattle to report.
Dont rub our noses in it :lol: Just you wait! few long runs with magride and something will start. To be honest my TTS didnt have anything other than the dash pod.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Minor rattle in roadster mechanism at top of drivers window somewhere.

Passenger seat belt buckle rattles against door frame when no one sitting in passenger seat. I've moved it up and down but it's hitting plastic the whole way.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Mine has a inconsistent one somewhere around the climate control unit. Like a creaky rattle.

TTS has a rattly parcel shelf, with windows down it used to flap around like no tomorrow at high speed secured in or not lol.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Shug750S said:

I remember this rattle.
Solved with these....
http://www.minigenuineparts.co.uk/mini- ... 8.036.html

Although I have modified them slightly so they hang lower. :wink:

1 - 20 of 98 Posts