Audi TT Forum banner
81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I had a creak coming from the same corner. It turned out to be the side panel of the dashboard. Removed it for a week and the noise was gone. After fitting the panel with some pieces of cloth between the panel and where it touches the dashboard the noise was still gone. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the instrument cluster squeak and could not get rid of it by adjusting the mounting bolts. I removed the cluster and could see where the top edge of the assembly left an impression in the leather dash trim where it fit together, so I used some plumbers teflon tape to cover those contact points and it seemed to do the job.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Vanu said:
techbananas said:
My passenger side front pillar creaks all the time, it is doing my head in. Has anyone found a fix for this?
mine too, I will probably take it apart and put some silicone spray on the clips.
Better put some thin cloth or plastic around the clips so they can't scrape the metal any more. Silicone or any other lubricant won't do much as it's pushed away over time. And then there is that grinding metal to metal contact again.

·
Registered
495 Posts
thanks for the advice, might put some kind of silicone tape on them. I'll probably have a go at it and the instrument cluster this weekend, both very annoying.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've finally managed to locate a very annoying buzz in the drivers door when music played through the system hits certain low frequencies. I used a tone generator on my iPhone to find the buzz at 71Hz. I then started pushing and pulling until I finally lowered the window about 1mm, just enough to take the tension off the cables, and the buzz stopped :)

Has anyone found this before and is there possibly a fix? I've had the door card off many times before to try pin this one down, but with the door open and the tension off the window cables it doesn't happen, so it'll be difficult to pin point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The first post of this thread talks about the lever which folds the seat rattling. I've had this problem for ages and finally found a simple bodge to fix it. I reason that the handle pulls a cable and that the tension in the cable would normally stop the plastic lever rattling. Over time the cable would stretch leaving the plastic handle to move, bounce and rattle when the car hits bumps. I couldn't find any way to access the cable to tighten it, so I turned my attention to stuffing something under the handle to slightly lift it and take up the slack in the cable. I used a product that you put underneath furniture feet to stop them marking wooden floors. Pretty widely available, thick felt with adhesive on one side. I trimmed it roughly to size, and stuck it under the handle. Almost invisible, and doesn't affect the operation of the chair. Rattles are gone!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not sure if it's been mentioned here before but I had the creack coming from the driver seat left bolster the moment I picked up the car last year. The way I sorted the issue was to place a microfibre towel folded 5 times between the bolster and the centre console. It took care of it.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Had my 12 year old roadster for the last 7 years. The only rattle in all that time was the passenger seat belt buckle rattling against the interior trim on the B post. Some days it does, others it doesn't. Of course never when I have a co-pilot. I'm convinced that it all depends on just where the sliding buckle retainer ends up, but I've yet to discover the ideal position for it - still trying after 7 years! When I find it I will mark it some-how. Roadster quirk as I never had it in my previous, a coupe, but I did have a few of the others.

Reactions: Jezzie

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Quattro Roadster
11,895 Posts
@ Grahm'sTT - I just keep the passenger's seat belt latched when not in use to avoid the rattle.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Yes, I'd thought of that, but it would offend my sense of how things should be. And I'd probably miss the now familiar rattle that makes up for the lack of passenger's conversation.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have an annoying metallic rattle just behind my right shoulder on bumpy roads. I've taken a look at the parts diagram, and it doesn't look like there's anything metallic behind that side panel trim, so I'm assuming it's something to do with the seatbelt mechanism. Has anyone else had this rattle?

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Quattro Roadster
11,895 Posts
@ daedaidee - Check our list of Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) as there's a few that are specific to TT rattles. You can find them here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks, SwissJet - however, that link takes me to the FAQ page where I can't find anything about TSBs. Searching manually took me to this, but the link in that post only takes me back to the forum home page. Forgive me if I am being dim here.

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,118 Posts
Possibly worth removing that panel to see what is loose. There isn't much there apart from the speakers and storage tub, but something might have rolled from the boot and ended up lodged underneath it, alongside the bench

81 - 98 of 98 Posts