Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my left rear shock absorber has just gone. As I’ve got the magnetic ride option this seems very expensive to replace. I’m not fussed about having the option and was wondering if I could instead fit 2 normal absorbers instead? Any problems that may arise ?
thanks

·
Registered
2012 Stage2 TTS coupe
2,468 Posts
Ashleyymasson said:
I’m not fussed about having the option and was wondering if I could instead fit 2 normal absorbers instead? Any problems that may arise ?
If you decide to replace your Magride shocks you need to do all 4 since they work together as a set. You'll also need a set of Magride delete adapters to prevent error codes. And if you are going to do it right you will want to replace your springs with a set that is matched to your new shocks.

Additionally, while you have everything apart you'll want to renew all rubber bushings, bumpstops, coil isolators and strut bearings.

Basically it's all or nothing...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you decide to replace your Magride shocks you need to do all 4 since they work together as a set. You'll also need a set of Magride delete adapters to prevent error codes. And if you are going to do it right you will want to replace your springs with a set that is matched to your new shocks.

Additionally, while you have everything apart you'll want to renew all rubber bushings, bumpstops, coil isolators and strut bearings.

Basically it's all or nothing...
Ok thanks for the reply, is £500 for parts about right for a new absorber and another part he said he needed. ?

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Quattro Roadster
12,979 Posts
Unfortunately it's not possible as the connector is broken internally after the cap is removed.

Now If you did this yourself, there's a debate as to whether or not the cap and connector can be removed without damaging the connector and then reused. But if Audi or any other service center does it, they'll just charge you for a new one.

I suspect there will be other bits and bobs they will also replace, so expect a few additional parts on the final bill.

Good read here on the Mag Ride Cap Removal discussion -

And if interested, you can download the Workshop Manual here.

Gesture Font Parallel Fictional character Machine

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Would a second hand set of absorber and cap and connector be ok?
You're buying a complete used shock with the cap still intact and having never been removed, then it will work. However if the cap was removed it might be broken and thus not work/require a new cap. If you're going to buy a new shock, you'll also want to replace the shock mount--this is a fairly inexpensive part though. If you're buying a complete used one, as mentioned, you won't want to bother with this as you have to take the cap off to get the mount off the shock and in doing so would likely break the cap and need to get a new one--which is not inexpensive as noted.

Also note there are two different rear shock variants, depending on whether you have 1BQ or 1BL option code on your vehicle. The former uses part# ending in E while the latter uses part# ending in F. (Note that the original shocks on the vehicle will have different part#s as well, so if you're buying a used original shock, you'll need to pay attention to that too).

I have a 1BQ car but I replaced my two rears with F shocks, for 1BL code. Making things more complex, the bump stops are different too, but I reused my old bumpstops (so basically the stops designed for E on F shocks), and everything seems to have turned out fine. However I replaced both rears when using the "wrong" shocks, I wouldn't want to try putting different shocks on L & R, so be sure to get the correct part. The only reason I did this is because I was able to get a deal on a pair of F shocks; thankfully it worked out.

And yeah the dampers ain't cheap, unfortunately.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts