Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick dopey question...................do they just pull off and a new one can be stuck on or does the sticky stuff need to be removed and then new pads or whatever they are need to be attached?

TIA

·
Registered
188 Posts
Always best to remove old stickies and a good clean before putting new plates on.

Most supermarkets sell sticky stuff remover which is perfect for the job.

Hope this helps?

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,372 Posts
Hi, If stuck on, cut through the sticky pads using a length of fishing line etc, remove rest of sticky pads, clean up & reapply using new sticky pads.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellas. Was hoping to bung my private plates on tonight but it seems I'll be searching for sticky pads!!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Stick on's are an MOT failure. Have to be screwed on.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
maxamus007 said:
Stick on's are an MOT failure. Have to be screwed on.
Really?? The brand new ones put on by Audi 3 weeks ago are stick ons, as are the ones they've supplied with my private reg.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
WozzaTT said:
Quick dopey question...................do they just pull off and a new one can be stuck on or does the sticky stuff need to be removed and then new pads or whatever they are need to be attached?

TIA
I use velcro to stick mine on mate. Yes they would be easy to steal but if they want them they'll take them. Seen some bad damage when scum try to take them.
I love the Velcro idea. Massively easy to remove to clean the car and easy to put back on straight. Just a thought. :p

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Interesting.... due to the high number of filling up without paying, disguised by stolen number plates, the police in the Netherlands offers to screw the plates to the car for free. The plastic holders just aren't good enough. So the velcro solution.... hmmm I don't now. Thieves could borrow your plates during the night and you'll be woken up my the police, banging on your door.

Double sided automotive tape, I think that would be best.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Sticky on plates are an MOT failure!

I know this because my car failed its MOT in April for this very reason. Was done by my local Audi Dealer.

The Police can, if they want to, pull you up about them.
The whole reason is to stop vehicle plate theft.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
maxamus007 said:

I know this because my car failed its MOT in April for this very reason. Was done by my local Audi Dealer.

funny that as mine went through a mot 1 week ago and passed and my plates are on with sticky pads!! :roll:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
maxamus007 said:

Evening mate. In relation to how your plates are attached to the car I'm unable to find anywhere that your car should fail its MOT if stuck on without screws.
There is nothing in law in England and Wales to stop you using sticking pads for your number plates. This is different to MOT rules. The police can Stop you on a highway without reason, simple to check everything is in order. There is nothing in their fixed penaulty books that relate to how a number plate should be attached to the car. I also reckon there isn't a cop in the land that would know about how a plate should be attached and if they did do anything about it if that was the only issue.
So long as the plate is legal and not failing off they arent interested. Hope this helps. :p

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
I wonder if there is some confusion about "sticky" as I think the sticker-type plates as used on E-type jaguars are not legal on other cars. That could be where the confusion is arising?

·
Registered
194 Posts
When I got pulled in my MG ZR for having a tiny front number plate (oops... :roll: ) the police officers said that they were only interested in the size of the plate, the correct sizing of the plate characters and the ability for others (and ANPR cameras) to read those characters. Apparently if I was to have caused an accident and then driven off, other drivers and members of the public need to be able to see the number plate clearly... My rear plate was a stick-on and nothing was mentioned, despite them checking it.

Replacement front plate, trip to an MOT testing station and a rubber stamp on the 'producer' ticket dealt with that...

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Sticking plates on with double sided stickers are not "secure" though.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
maxamus007 said:

My Audi dealer supplied my car with stick on plates! Do the thousands of cars they sell all fail their MOTs after 3 years?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts