Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have an alpine Ida x305s fitted, have had for some time, I noticed today whilst pissing around with the alpine that I'm not getting any sound from the rear speakers! I'm sure I did when I hooked it all up, I've had the HU out and everything seems to be connected as it should, nothing appears to be loose or broken!

Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
31,647 Posts
Check the rca connectors on the alpine aren't lose then check your PC9-410 thoroughly because they are famous for breaking/shorting and you know its a tight squeeze in behind the HU.

You can keep the power to the HU on when its out its chassis so wiggle away.

Check your settings on the Alpine as well.

·
Registered
18,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks James,

Have been through the giggling the wires etc but with no joy, the RCA connectors also seem fine, I think I'll try replacing the speaker part of the pc9 410 adaptor to see if that does the trick as I know they can be a bit temperamental, the GLI does seem to have a loose connection but that wouldn't affect the rears only!

·
Registered
31,647 Posts
gogs said:
Thanks James,

Have been through the giggling the wires etc but with no joy, the RCA connectors also seem fine, I think I'll try replacing the speaker part of the pc9 410 adaptor to see if that does the trick as I know they can be a bit temperamental, the GLI does seem to have a loose connection but that wouldn't affect the rears only!
Take the GLI and out of system to make sure it isn't that.

If I remember right you only have 1 GLI in the coupe whereas I have 2 in my roadster yes ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
How are you testing them? I get no sound from mine when the fade is set to the rear. They do work though, I think they must be fed from the front speakers or something, dunno if thats normal?

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Gogs, do you have Bose? If so, it only takes one input (front) and the amp sorts out the front/rear split.
If you don't have Bose, you can ignore the above :grin:

In the standard system, isn't the rear amplified and the front fed from the head unit? What harness(s) do you have?

·
Registered
18,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Garth,

Yea it has Bose, has the pc9-410 harness, I think it may be the culprit, I've ordered another so will try that, certain it all worked when I installed it, I've tried it without the GLI also but no difference

A strange one.........

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
gogs said:
Hi Garth,

Yea it has Bose, has the pc9-410 harness, I think it may be the culprit, I've ordered another so will try that, certain it all worked when I installed it, I've tried it without the GLI also but no difference

A strange one.........
No,no,no!
If you have Bose and your front speakers are working, your harness is fine. The Bose system only takes front input so your problem lies with either the amp, the speakers or the Bose wiring.

·
Registered
18,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Garth said:
gogs said:
Hi Garth,

A strange one.........
No,no,no!
If you have Bose and your front speakers are working, your harness is fine. The Bose system only takes front input so your problem lies with either the amp, the speakers or the Bose wiring.
Oh crap, where do I start Garth? Where's the amp located? Bloody car!

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
gogs said:
Garth said:
gogs said:
Hi Garth,

A strange one.........
No,no,no!
Oh crap, where do I start Garth? Where's the amp located? Bloody car!
Well, I can't remember if there's any other modules involved in the Bose system, so let's just assume there isn't for now.
I would start by checking the rear speakers are actually connected first. Actually, scratch that. Have you still got your standard head unit? Try plugging that back in first to see if the rear speakers come on. That will at least be the easiest thing to check and will confirm if the problem lies at the head unit end. Once you've done that and the rear speakers are still not working, I would turn it on and check if there is any voltage on the wires running to either rear speaker. If there is, it's the speakerss at fault. Next, I would trace the wiring back and if there's no voltage across the rear speaker wires coming out of the amp, it's new amp time.
The amp is in the rear drivers side panel:

That is assuming of course you have checked ALL the fuses to make sure there's nothing blown?

·
Registered
18,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Garth, I will try the oem HU first and check the rears, I'm certain they did work before, I'll then check the fuses, then onto the amp and speakers, fingers crossed its something simple!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi, just read this post from last year and wondered
if you ever got to the bottom of it & how !!!
I have the same problem with my Non Bose Roadster.
They did work and want to fiddle with the amp wires
to check for a loose connection but not sure where the amp
is of how to get to it !!!
Any advise would be welcome
Cheers

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
gogs said:
As far as I can work out I do get sound from the rear speaker, I just can't use the fade function to control the front and back ratio :-(
That's correct. The Bose amp only takes one input (the front), so you can't use the fader. The rear speakers only get the low notes, which in the case of the bose system, means not a lot. If you turn your bass and loudness up full, you should hear more from the rear.
If you really want a more balanced sound, you'll need to ditch the bose amp altogether.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cheers for info, I guess I cant have Bose then as my fader
did work when rears where working.
Will get another oem head unit I think to give that a go, other
than that I cant imaging how all rears could not work !!
Just want them to work then I can sleep an night !!! 3:42am [smiley=bigcry.gif]

·
Registered
635 Posts
i have a standard audi tt mk1 without bose,but 1 of the rear speakers is not working,the passenger side one.I am hoping it is nothing more serious than a wire out.What would you suggest i start with.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts