Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've got MOT advisories for surface corrosion on the rear subframe and rear suspension arms.

I've had a look, and they're not terrible, but they definitely could do with a tidy up.

Can I do this in situ with wire brush/drill extensions?

Is it possible to get to all areas without removing the exhaust back box?

If not, I know this is kinda how long is a piece of string, but any guesstimates on how much it might cost a body shop to remove these parts, blast them and paint them?

Thanks, Jack.

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
96,889 Posts
Hi Jack, Can't help with the renovation, but it is getting more & more common on the MK2.
Someone on here has done it recently, depends how involved you want to get.
Hoggy. :)

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jack, Can't help with the renovation, but it is getting more & more common on the MK2.
Someone on here has done it recently, depends how involved you want to get.
Hi Hoggy,

I'm happy to get moderately involved, that's the thing, if I can just jack it up on the driveway and go straight to wire brushing it and treating it I'll probably DIY. If I'm gonna have to drop the exhaust, remove brakes/hubs, remove the subframe, remove shocks etc, then I really don't want all that hassle on my drive. But I fear the bill for doing all that, then tidying up the parts will run well past £1k.

I'm actually looking to move the car on, but with an MOT advisory for corrosion, I feel like no ones gonna touch the car with a barge pole.

·
Registered
Audi TT Mk2 2.0L (BWA) 2WD Automatic
26 Posts
Here's what I did to my rear subframe this past weekend. I didn't worry about any other suspension bits since I'll be replacing everything by the end of July.

See my explanation in my post below.

Link to photo album here:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi jfiddy I posted on this a couple of weeks ago. I’ve just done a brake refurb and noticed the poor condition of the subframe but more worryingly the boot floor. The car had just past an mot so I wasn’t underpressure to do anything but the issue has motivated me to deal with it before it gets worse. I found a thread here where a guy stripped the subframe out and repainted the boot floor and renovated the subframe replacing bushings with poly bushes etc. I was going to follow the same route but the cost of replacing all the hardware, bushings, shot blasting and powder coating and paint was around £600. Then there was the time off the road to do it.

instead I’ve decided to remove exhaust and heat shield and then drop the subframe and arms as a complete assembly - forum member ianpg has a YT video on this, just search it out for details. I’m leaving the tank in situ. then going to mechanically remove rust off the floor, treat the metal and then repaint with epoxy paint see:DIY VEHICLE RESTORATION - START HERE then I’ll put gravitex stone guard over that and finish with body colour and clear coat. The subframe meanwhile will be fine in black epoxy. All I’ll need to do is buy four subframe stretch bolts and those holding the trailing arms (I think).

this Is overkill for the boot floor but I want it to look factory hence body colour over the top. You could just leave it in epoxy and it would be fine. Comes in a range of colours too.

I have bought all the paint and materials. I have read the manual off this forum and am ready to go. I’m holding off starting due to work commitments so this is likely to happen end of July early August. I Will post the results as I go.

btw I’m not replacing the stock exhaust - scorpion have had a 20% sale and I’ve just had a full cat back system delivered for £435!

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Head Eye Human body Wood Organism

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Bumper

Automotive tire Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Wood

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here’s the link to the other posts

Reactions: DustinC

·
Registered
74 Posts
Oddly enough seen this post today after I just done some work on my rear subframe.
May not be pretty but who actually looks under a car on a day to day basis, I just care about protecting the car and saving my wallet.

What I done was use a wirebrush to remove the loose stuff, use paint prep wipes to remove any grease and then followed with Hammerite Underbody seal. I done it with the exhuast on, car be done but not easy, recommend different size bruses. This stuff will never look like a smooth paint finish because this stuff is like tar. Bought the stuff for the my 85 Mini but the TT needed it more... Who would of guessed Bitish Layland would make a car which wouldnt rust :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Tire Wheel Shoe Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
96,889 Posts
Oddly enough seen this post today after I just done some work on my rear subframe.
May not be pretty but who actually looks under a car on a day to day basis, I just care about protecting the car and saving my wallet.

What I done was use a wirebrush to remove the loose stuff, use paint prep wipes to remove any grease and then followed with Hammerite Underbody seal. I done it with the exhuast on, car be done but not easy, recommend different size bruses. This stuff will never look like a smooth paint finish because this stuff is like tar. Bought the stuff for the my 85 Mini but the TT needed it more... Who would of guessed Bitish Layland would make a car which wouldnt rust :LOL::ROFLMAO:

View attachment 488117
Hi, Looks OK but I would have used Waxoyl rather than the tar like underseal.
Hoggy.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi, Looks OK but I would have used Waxoyl rather than the tar like underseal.
Hoggy.
Most likley would of been easier than trying to get this stuff off my face lol
I would of thought a 2014 car would of faired better really against rust but it has spent of its life before me in Edinburgh. Just glad Audi told me about it on its service so can sort before the MOT I got booked on Monday.

·
Administrator
96,889 Posts
Most likley would of been easier than trying to get this stuff off my face lol
I would of thought a 2014 car would of faired better really against rust but it has spent of its life before me in Edinburgh. Just glad Audi told me about it on its service so can sort before the MOT I got booked on Monday.
Hi, Yes Waxoyl so much easier to brush/spray into inaccessible areas & better than the tar like stuff as it does tend to crack & flake off letting water in.
Depends how long you intend keeping it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi, Yes Waxoyl so much easier to brush/spray into inaccessible areas & better than the tar like stuff as it does tend to crack & flake off letting water in.
Depends how long you intend keeping it.
Plan to keep it until an eletric car is forced upon me. Hopefully wont get too much cracking or flaking, Hammerite reckon it wont do that. Mostly hope get a few more years before it needs a new one really.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts