Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Looking at getting our first TT shortly. A quick question.

If a 225bhp car has had it's ECU altered to produce an extra 40bhp, could this shorten the normal life of an engine, and or, when using that power risk overstressing the engine?

Thanks,
Andy.

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,341 Posts
Hi Andy, If engine/clutch is in good condition before remap then unlikely to have any effect, but depends how long you intend to keep her & how often you use all the power. As long as oil/filter replaced frequently can't see any short term affect.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
A remap is nothing to worry about.

Having said that the major components around the engine will have been designed around the standard power output. Things like clutch already mentioned, and head gasket, pumps etc will wear out marginally quicker.

The more you tune an engine the harder everything else has to work. But if its only a remap that difference may not even be notieable. As long as the car has been looked after and serviced properly you should have no problem.

Think of it this way, its one less thing you have to buy when you have the car!

·
Registered
83,928 Posts
Dani A3DFU on here has her 225 remapped and she has now covered over180k miles so I think you should be OK to get it mapped :)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
my clutch is about be replaced along with the master cylinder in the next few weeks due to the remap that will be coming soon.
My cars got 77,000mls on her so possibly on original clutch so for peace of mind I'm getting it changed for a new item.

·
Registered
31,647 Posts
st3v3 said:
my clutch is about be replaced along with the master cylinder in the next few weeks due to the remap that will be coming soon.
My cars got 77,000mls on her so possibly on original clutch so for peace of mind I'm getting it changed for a new item.
You can pretty much bet that if your clutch is on it's last legs a remap will give it the final push quite firmly :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
60 Posts
jamman said:
st3v3 said:
You can pretty much bet that if your clutch is on it's last legs a remap will give it the final push quite firmly :lol: :wink:
That will depend in how the remap is done. I still have the OEM one and with no problems.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
of coarse you can map the car to a certain extent where the power delivery could be smoothed out,but in my case after speaking to Midland VW yesterday,whilst the clutch isn't slipping or vibrating a remap *may* push it too far and just fubar it completely,so I'll get it changed anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts