Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above, Whats the best method/stuff for removing lots of little tar spots from the rims of my alloys? Cheers

·
Premium Member
14,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PissTT said:
Tardis works well

Otherwise clay bar and quick detailer
Isnt there something to soften/disolve them then alloy polish? :? I remember my mum putting butter or was it marg on tar we had on us as kids which removed it. Mind you thats when we had hot summers and the roads would melt :lol:

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Petrol will dissolve it.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
WD40 sprayed on a cloth :wink:

·
Premium Member
14,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PissTT said:
I believe peatnut butter is good for bringing back the black

I use this http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... clean.html it disolves it quickly
I dont want to bring back black :? I just want a simple easy to use cheap way of removing tar spots of the rims of my alloys before I polish them again. Polish alone takes a long time so a liquid/paste type that will desolve the tar is what I would like. Maybe something household I already have or something I can buy from the likes of Halfords.

·
Registered
84,236 Posts
Clay bar will do the job in no time do your windscreen as well :p

·
Premium Member
14,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers guys will try a few of them . I have been on goggle and believe it or not mayonnaise is being recomended for tar removal. They says it very good and wont damage the paint work etc. I have an old out of date jar I will try as I was going to throw it out. Will let you know how I get on.

·
4,806 Posts
Don't waste your cash buying off the shelf "tar removers" - no need.

I use white spirit, I'll guarantee it won't harm your paint on your wheels or bodywork. Simply give it a wash after you've done it and re-seal with wax or whatever you use after.
DON'T be tempted to use any other type of paint thinner/solvent ie cellulose thinners...you will end up in tears!

Olive oil based butter spreads, marg' will all work as well.

Clay will also do it - but waste the effort and a piece of clay? :wink:

Dave

·
Premium Member
14,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I tried the mayonnaise and yep its does work. However on closer inspection there are lots of tiny pitting that was holding the tar making it more difficult you remove :evil: I may have to get the wheels repolished. :? Thanks for all the advice guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.