Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello, I bought a 2003 AUDI TT Quattro V6 3.2 earlier this year. Lovely car, love driving it, loathe to sell. Am moving to Germany in October and have been told need to change lights - stickers/flat beam is illegal for those classed as permanent residents.

Went to Audi Bedford. Quoted £869 per light and also rear fog to be switched to left, Plus ECUs for over £3200 including labour. This is not a financially viable option and is about 50% of the value of the car! If I cant solve the problem Ill have to sell or off road it for 2 years or so.

Have been looking on german ebay - although a surprising amount of lights from RHD cars on there - useless to me. Part number is 8N0 941 003 BM / 8N0 941 004 BM.

Do I really need an ECU as well as headlights ?
I intend extending wire from RH rear fog to LH replacing reverse light and putting tinted sticker on. Any issues foreseen? (German and UK law both allow double rear fog lights and no reverse light is still MOT passable in UK).
Can this model of light from 2003 be switched L-R with VAGCOM/similar? Flat beam illegal - need to have right flare as per
Image attached.
GERMAN LIGHTS.PNG

All advice greatfully received. Many thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
I thought you could just move the lever next to the lights in the engine compartment to adjust for driving on the right?

Owners manual (page 189-191) says to move the lever down for on the right and up for on the left.

Or is there something else I missed?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im in the Forces - and will be very busy on arrival. Wont have time to do a light change in Germany within the 30 day legal time period so must do it in UK (and drive to Eurotunnel in daytime)- and I have access to cheap mechanic (comparatively).

I am looking for a resource/help here to identify which parts are compatible with car eg the BM or BD/AG/AL etc on end of parts serial number 8N0 941 003 BM

The lever produces flat beam - Illegal for permanent residents.

Please help !

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ill be busy preparing to deploy not get on the piss.

I need to comply with Army regulations - there is the equivalent of MOT which they test the light to make sure it is continental - no certificate means no driving or face disciplinary action. Also means cannot register vehicle or get fuel coupons.

Therefore I need to change lights. Im happy enough with tail fog but headlights are tricky.

Does anyone have a parts list - I need 8N0 941 003 BM and 8N0 941 004 BM or an earlier model or something which will fit a 2003 model (12pin?) and throw the light right not left.

Does the ECU need changed too ?

Help gratefully received.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it possible to fit Halogen lights to replace the Xenons - I dont mind doing this for two years and can buy the lights at a third the cost of LHD xenons.

Any ideas if the pins fit - is it a straight swap ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think there is an easy solution to this. On the Xenon headlamp unit there is a small tag (difficult to reach but definitely there). If you move this from its current position to its alternate position it will change the dipping over to the other side. I did this on my previous TT when I used to go on holiday to Europe and my current Porsche has a very similar arrangement

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,337 Posts
graham100 said:
I think there is an easy solution to this. On the Xenon headlamp unit there is a small tag (difficult to reach but definitely there). If you move this from its current position to its alternate position it will change the dipping over to the other side. I did this on my previous TT when I used to go on holiday to Europe and my current Porsche has a very similar arrangement
Hi,,RHK308 already knows that "The lever" produces flat beam - Illegal for permanent residents.

Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
937 Posts
graham100 said:
The lever will only give a flat beam which the OP has already said is no use for permanent residents. I would have thought it should be possible to just buy a set of 2nd hand LHD xenons and swap the complete units over. Can't see why there would be any need to swap the ECU as you will already have the self leveling from the RHD xenons.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
missile said:
Pair of new Audi TT LHD headlights @ £469.88 see here > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-AUDI-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item562ce389e5

If you search eBay europe you may find them cheaper.

Why do you need to change the ECU?
Im hoping I dont need new ECU. However thats what Bedford Audi said in the hope of me spending £3200 all in. They can get stretched - Id rather off road the car and walk to Germany.

Can current 8N0 941 003 BD/8N0 941 004 BD lights be adjusted with VAGCOM/VCS to move beam to the right (not just lower it) ?

Or Dayline/dLite/FX Automotive pimp headlights an option - number of pins in connector ?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Its not just a case of moving the beam to the right. There is a physical shield inside the lamp that give the required beam pattern. The tourist lever just slides another piece of the shield down to cover the open part which gives the kick up on the left for RHD cars.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm in the Army and took my TT over last November. Hopefully I can give you some help. Firstly, you have 45 days to get your car BFG tested not 30 (recent change). I had Xenons fitted and swapped them for Halogens as a direct replacement and had no problems. The changing of the ECU is a load of crap, so no need to worry about that. I got my lights from the Sixth Sense newspaper for 100 euros (£90) for front and back lights. Don't rush into buying them unless you get a good deal. German ebay has loads to choose from. Its a personal choice, Xenons for quality or a cheaper alternative that does the same for a fraction of the cost (I chose cheap). I fitted german rear lights (loads available) and just re-routed the wiring from one side of the car to the other. Do not fall into the trap like many do in Germany and that is fitting a cheap after market fog light into your bumper. It looks proper tacky and just ruins the car. Switching over the lights will definatley not work for the BFG test.

If I can help out in anyway let me know. I get back from holiday in 5 days so can look about for you. When you due to move and where to?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
stavnshell said:
I'm in the Army and took my TT over last November. Hopefully I can give you some help. Firstly, you have 45 days to get your car BFG tested not 30 (recent change). I had Xenons fitted and swapped them for Halogens as a direct replacement and had no problems. The changing of the ECU is a load of crap, so no need to worry about that. I got my lights from the Sixth Sense newspaper for 100 euros (£90) for front and back lights. Don't rush into buying them unless you get a good deal. German ebay has loads to choose from. Its a personal choice, Xenons for quality or a cheaper alternative that does the same for a fraction of the cost (I chose cheap). I fitted german rear lights (loads available) and just re-routed the wiring from one side of the car to the other. Do not fall into the trap like many do in Germany and that is fitting a cheap after market fog light into your bumper. It looks proper tacky and just ruins the car. Switching over the lights will definatley not work for the BFG test.

If I can help out in anyway let me know. I get back from holiday in 5 days so can look about for you. When you due to move and where to?
That would be fantastic help. Moving to Elmpt in mid to late October. Car is 2003 3.2 V6 - factory fitted xenons.

I am definitely all about saving money so Halogens good enough for me - funnily enough all the dealers say its not possible - headlamp.com want 1300euros ! Roger headlights wants 800 euros. I was going to buy FX Automotive / dayline / other pimp lights IF I thought they could fit rather than exorbitant cost of OEM, but if you could source a set that would be fantastic. I had intended getting a cable extension to left hand side from rear right fog and just replacing bulb in the slot for reverse light and putting red film over clear lens. However, if I can source some tail lights cheaply Ill just swap the units out - I dont think thats a hard job at all.

I really appreciate the help. Ill PM a private email.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts