Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing PAS pump today as old one is getting very noisy and has a small leak, have got new seals for banjo fitting and a litre of Audi PAS fluid. My TT has the pressure switch fitted in line with the banjo fitting.

I have Bentley and Elsawin so don't need any diagrams/instructions but would be very grateful for any hints/tips from members who have done this job.

·
4,806 Posts
I'd be giving the pipes a good optical bollocking.

I thought I had a leak from the pump and it turned out to be the pipework. Little securing brackets brazed to steel pipes had corroded heavily enough to give pinhole leaks. I'd get the lot off and give them a good clean up, paint and a liberal dose of Waxoyl.

I cut out and rotten sections and replaced with "Gates" oil resistant hose and double hose clamps either end (replacement pipes are silly money!) You can make or buy some suitable size P clamps to re-secure.
Been fine for a year and not lost a drop of fluid.

Have fun! :)

Dave

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jac-in-a-Box said:
I'd be giving the pipes a good optical bollocking.

I thought I had a leak from the pump and it turned out to be the pipework. Little securing brackets brazed to steel pipes had corroded heavily enough to give pinhole leaks. I'd get the lot off and give them a good clean up, paint and a liberal dose of Waxoyl.

I cut out and rotten sections and replaced with "Gates" oil resistant hose and double hose clamps either end (replacement pipes are silly money!) You can make or buy some suitable size P clamps to re-secure.
Been fine for a year and not lost a drop of fluid.

Have fun! :)

Dave
Thanks for the info Dave but the pump is definitely leaking as the fluid is weeping along the input shaft and on to the back of the pulley. It's also very noisy now when under load with steering on full lock so definitely needs replacing.

By the way, if you do need to replace any pipes, Pirtek are brilliant, when I had a leak on the feed from the reservoir to the pump on Seat Cupra Sport, they sorted it for £50 whereas Seat wanted £100 for the pipe only.

·
4,806 Posts
Wasn't suggesting your pump wasn't at fault Steve...but while you have the connections broken from the pump and the system (nearly) empty, the pipes are worth a look at.

A 1m length of Gates oil hose a fiver...it's a "Scottish" thing :p

Dave

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jac-in-a-Box said:
Wasn't suggesting your pump wasn't at fault Steve...but while you have the connections broken from the pump and the system (nearly) empty, the pipes are worth a look at.

A 1m length of Gates oil hose a fiver...it's a "Scottish" thing :p

Dave
Thanks Dave, just having a break for lunch so will look at them before re-assembly. Absolute b****r of a job getting the old one off, let's hope fitting the new one is a little easier.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update - finished job and now no leak and slightly lighter steering, so very pleased and got the pump cheap from Charlie so only cost just under £60 with new seals and fluid. Audi wanted £350 for the pump alone so made a big saving.

However, there was a big problem and it's down to Audi using different suppliers, the one I fitted was slightly longer (only 1-2mm) but enough so it wouldn't locate. At the back end of the pump a single bolt goes through a split hollow dowel that is pressed into a locating hole in a mounting bracket and this had to be moved out by the 1-2 mm to create the extra clearance required. As the bracket is alloy, belting it with a mallet wasn't an option but managed to do it eventually with an old fashioned "C" type small ball joint splitter along with plenty of Plus Gas and swearing plus one scraped knuckle - yet another example of a VAG bodge causing grief.

So, what should have been a pretty straightforward job ended up as a bit of a battle but still pleased at the result and the cost saving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts