Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently Honda have informed customers of a Fault with the handbrake. It doesn't work when applied whilst pressing the release button?????????????? [smiley=dizzy2.gif]

Maybe it's just me but how is this a design flaw? Do a lot of people press the release button whilst ENGAGING the handebrake. ...... very wierd.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7312427.stm

It's funny, I have always thought my car was faulty because it doesn't stop when I push the accelarator. After reading this I will be writing a very stern letter to Audi!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Mmmmm, I was always told to press the button on applying the handbrake so to not wear the "teeth" down??

joe

·
Registered
453 Posts
Think its been debated for years whether to press the button when engaging or not.

My driving instructor always told me to press it in when engaging as it would prevent ratchet wear as the release mechanism clicks on the ratchet, thus preventing the possibility that the handbrake may fail / become disengaged and roll away.

However, arguments for not pressing the button are things like you only need 3 clicks to hold the car in place, if you press the button you can't hear the clicks and may over / under tension the handbrake.

Besides, the ratched mechanism on new cars (over the past 15 years or so) is of very high grade hardened steel and is designed to last this "wear" over the life of the car. Gone are the days where you need a handbrake ratchet mechanism replaced, its something carried on from the good old days and doesn't really apply any more.

So I guess in conclusion, its personal choice, either way doesn't really matter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.