Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just got a used 2016 Audi TT mk3 and I wanted to add CarPlay to it. I found some third party retrofitters doing it for around £200 and I got a quote from Audi saying they’ll charge £400. Is it worth doing it from Audi? The guy at Audi mentioned it would be wireless CarPlay but I wasn’t convinced he knew what he was talking about.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey everyone, just got a used 2016 Audi TT mk3 and I wanted to add CarPlay to it. I found some third party retrofitters doing it for around £200 and I got a quote from Audi saying they’ll charge £400. Is it worth doing it from Audi? The guy at Audi mentioned it would be wireless CarPlay but I wasn’t convinced he knew what he was talking about.
I asked about wireless CarPlay on my S5 (MY20) which already has CarPlay as was told it wasn’t possible .Pretty sure it won’t be wireless on your TT given the tech is older.

As it happens I’m having it added to my TTS tomorrow so I can ask the guy whose is doing it if you like (he is an audi approved retrofitter with direct licences access to Audis systems).

·
Registered
18,774 Posts
For wireless carplay you can fit a dongle which acts as the wireless connection between the phone and the car CPLAY2AIR iirc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
My wife has a 2015 Audi TT and I got CarPlay/Android Auto installed by Yorkshire/South wales VAG diagnostics - he done it all remotely - well he sent the files and talked me through it but it works as it would from stock. As mentioned earlier, you'll need a dongle to have it wireless

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I had CarPlay fitted/activated by an independent (who also does them for Audi) on my 2017 TTS and I really like it (mostly for TomTom/Waze and Spotify). I like the idea of wireless too. Just been googling CPLAY2AIR and it looks very good but about £100 - there are cheaper alternatives on Amazon. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a good quality wireless dongle?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had CarPlay fitted/activated by an independent (who also does them for Audi) on my 2017 TTS and I really like it (mostly for TomTom/Waze and Spotify). I like the idea of wireless too. Just been googling CPLAY2AIR and it looks very good but about £100 - there are cheaper alternatives on Amazon. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a good quality wireless dongle?
I use CarlinKit. Also around the £100 mark but works flawlessly every time.

Amazon lists different models for different vehicles but in reality they're all exactly the same!

I've transferred mine from Nissan to Jeep to Audi and it works in all vehicles.

In my opinion spend the money to get a quality unit rather than buying cheap and buying twice!

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Instructions for DIY enable of CarPlay / AndroidAuto.
If you are in or around SE London and can visit me I can do this for forum members. Drop me a PM for details.
Wireless connection only available via third party plug in dongles that connect via the USB socket in the central cubby hole.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Just an idea, would it work to buy a refurb iphone7 (for instance - circa 100 quid) from somewhere like mazuma or musicmagpie and use that as a 'dumb' carplay/media provider. That way you don't have to remember to plug/unplug your phone or use a wireless dongle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
even with car standa5rd hands free ?
Yes everything works - you can leave Carplay running in the background if you like so that you can use Audi MMI Nav and full screen maps etc. Or use Carplay for Apple apps etc.

Use Audi or Carplay for music. Use Siri for voice control and use Carplay for calls.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I don't really see the advantage of wireless, I personally want to charge my phone anyway in the car the majority of the time, and even if you have wireless charging most phones don't fit and it's handy to see the screen on a dash mount.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't really see the advantage of wireless, I personally want to charge my phone anyway in the car the majority of the time, and even if you have wireless charging most phones don't fit and it's handy to see the screen on a dash mount.
It's wireless Carplay not wireless charging.
Phone is still on a dash mount for me but can be kept in pocket etc whilst still using Carplay if you don't want phone screen on display.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts