Audi TT Forum banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Another great mod from ReTTro - I have been watching the Ambient light fittings on eBay but the aren't cheap. Missed it in the TT loved it in my A4.
I was also thinking of trying to incorporate my garage opener in the light unit as apposed to it being stuck on the sun visor with double sided tape lol.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Stem said:
Another great mod from ReTTro - I have been watching the Ambient light fittings on eBay but the aren't cheap. Missed it in the TT loved it in my A4.
I was also thinking of trying to incorporate my garage opener in the light unit as apposed to it being stuck on the sun visor with double sided tape lol.
Your car didn't come with the Homelink buttons? Homelink requires a UHF module in the bumper, but I bet you could repurpose those buttons to an off the shelf garage opener. There is lots of space above the light panel in the roof.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Added this to my list of intended mods at some point in the future.

Telling how bad the OEM lights are in the TT that I just found out I have these little red 'lights' only after reading this topic.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
ReTTro fit said:
Do the same the other side, wire them to the illumination pin
ReTTro, do you have any further info on the illumination pin or is it obvious when the units apart?

·
Premium Member
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Pins 1 & 5

On iPhone using Tapacrap

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,432 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I think the brighter the better as you can't see them, only the glow

The oem ones are pathetic mate, you can't tell there fitted at all

On iPhone using Tapacrap

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,432 Posts
OK then, will try those as a benchmark and get brighter if needed :)

They are suitable for 12v, which I assume is what is supplied, will check on multimeter otherwise. Does the amp rating (8.5 mA) look OK?

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,432 Posts
Did you solder the extra wires to where the existing pins and soldered to the circuit board? It seems like the only way, unless splicing into the wires and adding an extra connector so the unit is still removeable

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,432 Posts
I added ambient lights today, and here are some extra details that would be useful to others.

I used these LEDs 5 x Pre-Wired Red LED 3mm Ultra Bright : 9V ~ 12V : 1st CLASS POST | eBay

I soldered the two LEDs to a short length of wire:

IMG_20160523_201607.jpg

I soldered the other end of the wire to pin 1 (negative/ground) and 5 (positive/illumination) of the main connector:

IMG_20160523_213224.jpg

The LEDs in place with hot glue, and wire cable tied to stop it rattling:

IMG_20160523_213239.jpg

The holes drilled in the cover. From behind it is very easy to align them as there is a plastic outline. I drilled 2mm holes, and used a thin black marker pen inside the holes, as the black plastic is grey inside:

IMG_20160523_213307.jpg

IMG_20160523_214934.jpg

Also, this thread is quite useful for more info https://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... 9&t=135286

·
Registered
4 Posts
ReTTro fit said:
Bought the full led style courtesy light which has the red led down lights ( which are CRAP )

You can see in this pic that they are just tiny flat LEDs on the board that are meant to project through the hole ( which they don't )

So I moded my old unit

Drilled the holes in the factory position

Added 5mm super brights to the internal cage ( easier than soldering to the circuit board )

Do the same the other side, wire them to the illumination pin

Gonna do a white set now

On iPhone using Tapacrap
Great job!!could you please tell us how to connect the red led bulb to the wires pin?(which one actually...)and how to fix the bulb on the plastic frame...

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,432 Posts
miao33 said:
Great job!!could you please tell us how to connect the red led bulb to the wires pin?(which one actually...)and how to fix the bulb on the plastic frame...
See my post above, I just fixed the images

·
Registered
4 Posts
MT-V6 said:
miao33 said:
See my post above, I just fixed the images
Thank You very much! All clear now...
Just another question: how easy or not could be find the correct position for diodes? I mean, the risk is to illuminate the back part of the central tunnel and not the ashtray and gear lever...

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,432 Posts
You can see I placed them in the corners of the cutout, which is there the OEM ones would be. You just have to make sure they are fitted straight

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,432 Posts
The 3mm are fine for me, can't comment on the 5mm as I haven't tried them. The hole is only small so probably doesn't make much difference really. You wouldn't want them to be too bright though

·
Registered
463 Posts
good morning guys, I have a series qielle and I would like to replace them with a pair that is a little brighter but not too bright; 1) will the originals be 12v? 2) should they be 3mm?

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,432 Posts
Originals are SMD I think, not sure on size. Let us know what you find

·
Registered
36 Posts
I added ambient lights today, and here are some extra details that would be useful to others.

I used these LEDs 5 x Pre-Wired Red LED 3mm Ultra Bright : 9V ~ 12V : 1st CLASS POST | eBay

I soldered the two LEDs to a short length of wire:

View attachment 403217

I soldered the other end of the wire to pin 1 (negative/ground) and 5 (positive/illumination) of the main connector:

View attachment 403219

The LEDs in place with hot glue, and wire cable tied to stop it rattling:

View attachment 403221

The holes drilled in the cover. From behind it is very easy to align them as there is a plastic outline. I drilled 2mm holes, and used a thin black marker pen inside the holes, as the black plastic is grey inside:

View attachment 403223

View attachment 403225

Also, this thread is quite useful for more info https://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... 9&t=135286
Did you add any resistors to these? Think I answered my own question. Even though the eBay vendor you linked to doesn't expressly say there are resistors... there are resistors installed. Are you happy with the light output as you installed it?

·
Registered
943 Posts
The red lights are supposed to be dim. They're designed like that intentionally. They might not seem "cool" today as we see all these cars coming with razzle-dazzle LED interior "mood lighting" like it's a strip club inside, lol, but pretty much all earlier Audis I've been in have these dim "ambient" light red LEDs in them. They are indeed dim and super subtle but they were always meant to be like that. You can certainly mod them to be brighter if you want, but just saying it's not that Audi goofed here, they made them to be like that.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts