Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I put on a new valve cover gasket because it was leaking out the back half moon area. I must not have put on enough RTV Gasket Maker as its leaking at that spot again. I want to take it all apart and redo it, but does that mean I have to buy another valve cover gasket or is it ok to reuse, its been 1000 miles.

·
Registered
84,234 Posts
I have replaced the can cover on both TTs both times fitting new gaskets never needed to use anything other than the gaskets to get a perfect seal :?

·
Registered
31,647 Posts
YELLOW_TT said:
I have replaced the can cover on both TTs both times fitting new gaskets never needed to use anything other than the gaskets to get a perfect seal :?
I think the manual mentions putting a small amount on the corners and other areas etc.

I think the OP would be ok using the gasket again providing it's not damaged/miss shaped in any way.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Personally, even after only 1k miles, would fit a new one, they're only £15 from GSF for genuine. Trouble is with rubber gaskets is that they shrink a little due to heat and the chances of getting a perfect seal after removal/replacement is not good. You could use a good silicone gasket seal all the way round but that's messy and you're half way towards the cost of a new gasket anyway.

Also, have you considered that the leak may be coming from the cam chain tensioner? If this is leaking, the oil travels into the half moon shaped cutout in the cylinder head, I had this exact problem when I did mine and ended up replacing the gaskets for this also, a new gasket set is only about £8 from Audi.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys I'll buy a new one.

The manual said to put gasket maker at four places. Basically anytime the seal has to take a sharp bend, not at the corners, but actually when it dips into the "half moon" valley, and also when it rises up, there are four of these points. Terrible explination I know, but it make sense that oil could leak out those areas.

I'll check the cam tensioner seal too, great tip!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.