Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've received my TTC 225 back from the garage on Monday having had new front struts and top mounts, rear struts and various other bushes changed. All parts came from GSF (and bought by the garage doing the work) and the car is now waiting for a full alignment having also had the lower A arms off for bushes and ball joints. Basically all bushes and joints have been replaced as the car has now done 120k. The only thing that stayed was the original springs as I was ok with the standard (facelifted) ride height.

My problem is the front ride height seems to have risen by around an inch. Appreciating top mounts etc have to bed in, do you expect this to compress by 1" and over what time/mileage? I've done 70 miles since getting it back and it hasn't changed a bit, even after some very undulating fast roads.

Any advice welcomed. Ta

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Here you see my original top mounts at 68k miles. Center one is new, left and right is OEM. Obviously, the left one is smaller, but not by much. I can't imagine you'd get a 1 inch lowering as it beds in and bed-in will only take a few miles. If you are sitting up by 1 inch, something else is at play i believe.

do you have any before/after pics to compare? did they return the original top mounts? They are only about 3inches tall to begin with...one inch of compression is not going to happen during the bed in.

cheers.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the images. I'm dropping by the garage tonight to get the parts they removed as I'm keen to see what's going on here. As yours shows, and as I would expect, they will give but not to the extent I'm seeing. I will take some photos when I get the car back from alignment tonight; I know my car pretty well having owned it for years and its ride height is something I'm very sure of, plus I have loads of photos of the car before having the work done.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No pics to hand, I'll take one in the morning, but the back looks fine for std components. Rear struts changed and all fine back there.
Checked top mounts tonight. Fitted correctly but one question... from strut side looking up into the top plate you easily see an inch or so of top mount rubber. I need to look on other vehicles to compare this.

·
Registered
966 Posts
My guess is the GSF struts are longer from hub to spring mount, or perhaps haven't been fully seated in the hub.

I saw the suspension fitting guide in the TT knowledge base and it seems that even the Bilstein struts have some issue of seating in the hub due to incorrect bracket position.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That could well be the case Stewbie, and if to get the right height I have to get new springs I'll be ok with that. I just want to make sure its been put together right using the right bits. Very annoying given I kept the original springs as I liked the ride hights and feel. Aaarrrggghhhh......

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
stewbieTT said:
My guess is the GSF struts are longer from hub to spring mount, or perhaps haven't been fully seated in the hub.

I saw the suspension fitting guide in the TT knowledge base and it seems that even the Bilstein struts have some issue of seating in the hub due to incorrect bracket position.
Yes, I had that problem. but they were only about 8mm or so high. Here you can see the strut flange perched atop the strut housing. it prevented the strut from seating properly. so, I had to remove the strut, remove the flange, then re-install.

cheers

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
It is possible that the ride height is proper now...IF, your old mounts were really compressed AND your old dampers were completely shot. Then, you'd have been sitting much lower than proper as you'd only have had the springs for support. But, if that were the case, I'd think you'd of noticed some significant bounce when going over bumps, dips, etc.

cheers.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Perhaps the spring seats are lower down on post-face lift struts and GSF have supplied the pre-face lift/non sports suspension version?

I know Audi used to do this kind of thing in the days of the old Mk2 80 Sport, but that was on the rear shocks not fronts.
The spring perches on the Sport rear shocks were lower, so if you were supplied with standard shocks by mistake, the rear end became too high.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TTQ2K2 said:
It is possible that the ride height is proper now...IF, your old mounts were really compressed AND your old dampers were completely shot. Then, you'd have been sitting much lower than proper as you'd only have had the springs for support. But, if that were the case, I'd think you'd of noticed some significant bounce when going over bumps, dips, etc.

cheers.
I'm pretty sure if the car looked like this when I bought it only few months old I'd have walked straight past it several years back. Agree that tired suspension can sag but these levels of rejuvenation are putting Joanne Collins to shame. Carefully measured tyre to arch its almost bang on the same as my XC90 sat next to it. Surely that isn't right???

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ExAudiSi said:
Perhaps the spring seats are lower down on post-face lift struts and GSF have supplied the pre-face lift/non sports suspension version?

I know Audi used to do this kind of thing in the days of the old Mk2 80 Sport, but that was on the rear shocks not fronts.
The spring perches on the Sport rear shocks were lower, so if you were supplied with standard shocks by mistake, the rear end became too high.
I get your logic here and this will be my first call to GSF in the morning. What I don't know for sure at the mo is the technical difference between the sport and non sport set up. Was it strut, strut dimension and/or spring length.

My spring has 5 coils in total, same as was shown in another part of this forum so I'm 99% happy I have that as a reference part.

Also, checked strut into hub carrier and it comes out the bottom by about 2mm so looks fully and properly inserted.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts