A true hero of the modern age RIP

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
Sad news , great guy ...............

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Very sad news indeed. Not only the first man on the Moon, which in many ways seems to have been a great burden on the man, but also a very qualified engineer, teacher and serviceman, not to mention test pilot. Neil Armstrong was one of those men who was derserving of the more modern phrase of bring described as "the man".

It's a pity he spoke so little about the Moon, but as it's pretty much all anyone would want to talk to him about you can kind of understand why he removed himself from the public eye to a great extent. Probably most people to this day would love to sit and chat to him and know what it was like to be on the Moon - in the hope that the man's words could ever transport you there - but how many times would it take for telling the story to wear thin? There was, of course, much more to Neil Armstrong than being the first man on the Moon.

From using science and physics to show what humanity can do, on Channel 5 right now we have "Celebrity" Big Brother. FFS. At least there's MSL.

RIP Neil Armstrong. His footprints on the Moon will to all intents and purposes from a human timescales, last forever. What a memorial.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Reminds me of the urban legend about him saying 'Good luck Mr Gorsky' when he stepped onto the moons surface -

When Apollo Mission Astronaut Neil Armstrong first walked on the moon, he not only gave his famous "one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" statement but followed it by several remarks, usual communication traffic between him, the other astronauts and Mission Control. Just before he re-entered the lander, however, he made this remark "Good luck Mr. Gorsky."

Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival Soviet Cosmonaut. However, upon checking, there was no Gorsky in either the Russian or American space programs. Over the years many people questioned Armstrong as to what the "Good luck Mr. Gorsky" statement meant, but Armstrong always just smiled.

On July 5, 1995 in Tampa Bay FL, while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26 year old question to Armstrong. This time he finally responded. Mr. Gorsky had finally died and so Neil Armstrong felt he could answer the question.

When he was a kid, he was playing baseball with a friend in the backyard. His friend hit a fly ball, which landed in the front of his neighbor's bedroom windows. His neighbors were Mr. & Mrs. Gorsky.

As he leaned down to pick up the ball, young Armstrong heard Mrs.Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky. "Sex! You want sex?! You'll get sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!"

An urban legend which no doubt will live on. R.I.P. Neil Armstrong.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
A true legend

Remember watching this happen at the age of 5, however for me the excitement was always watching the splash down and helicopter number 66 returning them safe and sound...

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
RIP A brave human being end of :cry: I can remember sitting watching and the moment came where he dropped to the Moons surface, I was 14 and in awe

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
I was in junior school and we all watched it on the telly, a truly incredible moment and forever in my memory as clear as day. RIP Neil Armstrong, he and all astronauts before and since are truly a "breed apart" and yet they are so modest and unassuming, they are due our utmost respect and affection, I for one am in awe of their achievements and skills.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts