Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 4 GB SD-card ( normal one ) in the RNS-E with music on.... I've noticed that it sometimes "skips" during playback. Sounds like half a second of the song is missing, a bit like when the old in-car cd-players would skip when you hit a bump too hard.

When I rewind untill before the skip, it will play again as it should....

Anybody else who has this problem ?
I've converted my iTunes library to mp3 via AVS Audio Converter ( licenced version ).

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
If it's playing the skipped bit ok afterwards that means it's not the file, so it's definitely the processing. What bit rate are your files at? I use VBR 192-320 and they play fine. I can't remember off-hand what the bit rate capabilities are, but as MP3s are written in "frames" it sounds like you've got some kind of buffering problem so the unit is dropping frames to keep up.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
I would have thought 160kbps would be fine and definitely shouldn't cause skipping. I'm about to pop out so let me check my manual when I do [smiley=book2.gif] If you're going to re-encode it might be worth trying another program and encoding DLL. CDWav can decompress to WAV and then you're free to encode to anything and it comes with LAME - I'm not sure if that's what AVS uses but all mine are encoded with it either through WInAmp or CDWav and they all play fine.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just not to miss the obvious, I did format the SD card with the FAT system... does that have anything to do with it ?
I''m currently putting a 192 bit conversion on an extra card, to see what that does... keep you posted.

Thanks for the ideas so far :)

Hm, that didn't help...still skipps in every song... :(

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
I checked my manual (I have Concert not RNS-E but the MP3 handling capabilities should be the same if not better) and it'll support 64-256kbps AND VBR.

It could be time for a process of elimination... burn your files to a CD and see if it still skips whilst playing them. If they don't, you know it's not your files. CDs need to be in ISO9660 Level 2, Joliet file system, max 512 files per disc, max 255 folders with 8 subfolders, max 255 files per folder. ID3 tags v1, 2.3 and 2.4 are supported (possibly 3, can't remember off-hand), with a maximum of 32 characters.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I've got an RNS-E and play mostly VBR (160-224kbps) and 256kbps CBR mp3s off of a 32gig SDHC card.

No skipping problems in general though there are the odd one or two songs (out of thousands) that will consistently drop out at the same point and the unit skips to the next track in this case.

I did have problems when I first tried the 32gig card with it being reported as 'corrupt' or 'invalid media' but after I trimmed out all the playlists (every album had its own playlist) and made sure I changed any remotely dodgy characters in filenames (e.g. ' or & or _ ) then no problems. Mind you, I haven't filled the card to the brim again yet.

My guess is that there's some sort of hard limit on numbers of files/playlists and there could be problems with strange characters in filenames and/or long filenames.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.