Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd really appreciate some honest opinion from people who have experience of both units. How does the funcionality of the RNS-E compare to Tomtom? I'm aware that there's no speed camera database on the RNS-E, and that it doesn't accept a full post code, but these differences apart, I'm just really looking for opinion on how well it gets you to where youi're going compared to Tomtom.

Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
I don't have a tom tom, but a rival device.
I did have it mounted in the glove box so i got all the alerts, but havent got round to putting it in this one.

Screen res much better on the OEM
Screen size better on the OEM
POI about the same (less speed cameras - but that could be about to change)
Both show speed limit for the road
OEM adds resale to the car
OEM cost far too much
Tom Tom updates are much better and more often but you pay for them
Tom Tom easier to pinch
OEM controls are mostly integrated
OEM also comes with full ipod control and or 64GB on SDcards

I really don't think either is better overall than the next.
They have differences and you need to link those to needs.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I have both...and the Tom Tom In both stand alone and iPhone units.
Don't kid yourself...for all it's supposed limitations the RNS-E is infinitely better.
Tosh is right in that Tom Tom's maps are updated far more often but then the TT's windscreen is far too small to be partially obliterated by the Tom Tom.
Having it built in OEM is just much, much nicer.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
The biggest downsides of the VAG/Siemens navigation system are the lack of postcode searching and the inability to update it. Tomtom and Garmin have more up-to-date maps and you can add points of interest at will whereas to add POIs to the RNS-E you need to hack the disk you feed it with.

After seeing a friend's car with the Pioneer 910BT in it I purposely didn't buy a built-in satnav this time and went with the Kenwood DNX7240BT with Connects2 steering wheel integration and CMOS300 cameras front and back. These 'paint' artificial width and length guidelines on the camera view so even an appalling driver like me can accurately park the car forwards and backwards.

Kenwood, rather than make their own bluetooth and navigation systems, bought them in from Parrot and Garmin respectively.

That cost me pretty much exactly the same as the RNS-E from the factory (about £1600 fitted).

Garmin use the TMC system from TrafficMaster (the blue poles at the side of the road or the specs camera look-alikes on motorway bridges) and it works REALLY well. The VAG system only really works on motorways but the Garmin one works on any road that has the blue poles (all motorways, all A-roads and many bigger B-roads) and it updates within 2 or 3 minutes.

I prefer the voice commands from the Kenwood too - every time the VAG unit said "LEAVE NOW" everyone in the car would say "I'll get my coat" and laugh because it's just not a natural voice instruction. The iPhone/iPod integration is MUCH better than the RNS-E and the built-phone is the Parrot 3100 unit so it's very good too.

And it's built-in just like the RNS-E.

As far as I can see the only downside is the lack of speed-related volume control which is available on the Pioneer equivalent.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I have used both systems extensively. Once programmed they are both much of a muchness in their ability to navigate to your destination and both work really well. However the TomTom has three distinct advantages and one big disadvantage. Advantages are it is far, far easier to programme your destination, can run various speed camera databases and is much, much cheaper to update. The one disadvantage is that it is not built in so tends to look very add-on unless you are prepared to undertake a lot of installation work. The Audi RNS-E can be updated by purchasing a new disc .............. but the cost :eek:

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
garvin said:
I have used both systems extensively. Once programmed they are both much of a muchness in their ability to navigate to your destination and both work really well. However the TomTom has three distinct advantages and one big disadvantage. Advantages are it is far, far easier to programme your destination, can run various speed camera databases and is much, much cheaper to update. The one disadvantage is that it is not built in so tends to look very add-on unless you are prepared to undertake a lot of installation work. The Audi RNS-E can be updated by purchasing a new disc .............. but the cost :eek:
I had the RNS-E in my S3 but didn't get it in my ex demo TTS, the TOM Tom app i have with my IPhone is far more easier to use however the fact that I see visible wires everywhere lets it down. You say you can run various speed camera databases within TomTom - could I do this within the TomTom app for IPhone do you know? I know the latest app Tom Tom 1.3 has audible warnings however these are pretty inaccurate to be honest - an accurate visible and audible database to run along side the app for IPhone would be great?
Does the RNS-E really help resale value? if so how much? if I planned to go down that route I think it would cost over 1k for a second hand OEM and then bluetooth kit which I also dont have :? :(

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
leenx said:
garvin said:
I had the RNS-E in my S3 but didn't get it in my ex demo TTS, the TOM Tom app i have with my IPhone is far more easier to use however the fact that I see visible wires everywhere lets it down. You say you can run various speed camera databases within TomTom - could I do this within the TomTom app for IPhone do you know? I know the latest app Tom Tom 1.3 has audible warnings however these are pretty inaccurate to be honest - an accurate visible and audible database to run along side the app for IPhone would be great?
Does the RNS-E really help resale value? if so how much? if I planned to go down that route I think it would cost over 1k for a second hand OEM and then bluetooth kit which I also dont have :? :(
I can't answer your queries re the iPhone as I don't use one, but with regard to retro fit of satnav or bluetooth - in fact pretty well any OEM upgrade to your TT have a look at this link for Hazzy Dayz Ltd - a thorough professional outfit who undertake all this type of work. Full price lists are included on the linked site.

http://www.vwcruise.com/108.html

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
igotone said:
leenx said:
garvin said:
Yep thanks for that - I did look at these guys and get a quote but just couldnt justify the cost, ideally I'd like to if anything buy one off of Ebay but I think minimum you'd be looking at £799 for a RNS-E second hand, hoping in a year or so prices would of dropped, just have to make do with Tom Tom & wires lol
I can't answer your queries re the iPhone as I don't use one, but with regard to retro fit of satnav or bluetooth - in fact pretty well any OEM upgrade to your TT have a look at this link for Hazzy Dayz Ltd - a thorough professional outfit who undertake all this type of work. Full price lists are included on the linked site.

http://www.vwcruise.com/108.html

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I'll probably go the RNS-E route, but in the meantime I have the Tomtom mount over on the right side of the dash near the A pillar. If you open the car door you'll see a small gap in the side of the dashboard end piece which you can push the wire into. Then thread it under the dash - up and over the steeering wheel, back down under the dash and put the plug in the lighter socket. Pull the slack down under the dash and secure it with tape. I used small sticky Velco pads. The only visible wire is a small piece near the mount and another short piece near the lighter socket - looks pretty neat.

As for resale value, I think sat nav would make the car more desirable to a private buyer but I doubt it would make much difference at all to what a dealer would offer you.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
igotone said:
Well I'll probably go the RNS-E route, but in the meantime I have the Tomtom mount over on the right side of the dash near the A pillar. If you open the car door you'll see a small gap in the side of the dashboard end piece which you can push the wire into. Then thread it under the dash - up and over the steeering wheel, back down under the dash and put the plug in the lighter socket. Pull the slack down under the dash and secure it with tape. I used small sticky Velco pads. The only visible wire is a small piece near the mount and another short piece near the lighter socket - looks pretty neat.

As for resale value, I think sat nav would make the car more desirable to a private buyer but I doubt it would make much difference at all to what a dealer would offer you.
Thanks for this - I might have another go this week at trying to hide the wires, don't suppose you could take some pics and post what you did? would be really useful!
In terms of the RNS-E I'd just keep checking fleabay - i notice quite a few are coming from eastern europe and these guys seem to have very good feedback and quite a bit cheaper too - could be an option for you but I guess make sure you pay with credit card as opposed to bank transfer which one of my pals did and turned out to be a costly misjudgment of trust!

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll see if I can get some pics and stick them up here. :)

I've been looking at the RNS-E units on ebay and it's an attrractive proposition. The only slightly worrying bit is you don't know if everything works till they come to do the install.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Probably coming in right at the end of the debate here but for what it's worth....

I have run both. Tom Tom for years and RNS-E in my TTS.

I would now take the OEM any day of the week, Nav is fine even with missing postcode digits (which I previously thought would be a pain) and the fact everything is fully integrated with the car, added resale and all the other reasons listed above tip the balance for me.

Tom Tom is bit of a hassle with sucker on the windscreen, dismantling it all everytime you leave the car to make sure some little scrote doesn't smash your window in to grab it (sucker marks on the windscreen are a nice advert to them), limited cabin and windscreen size in the TT, wires dangling over your legs an dash etc.

Of course Renault now seem to have an agreement with Tom-Tom according to their latest adverts so maybe we should all sell up and get Clio's for the best of both worlds!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
steve--m said:
Probably coming in right at the end of the debate here but for what it's worth....

I have run both. Tom Tom for years and RNS-E in my TTS.

I would now take the OEM any day of the week, Nav is fine even with missing postcode digits (which I previously thought would be a pain) and the fact everything is fully integrated with the car, added resale and all the other reasons listed above tip the balance for me.

Tom Tom is bit of a hassle with sucker on the windscreen, dismantling it all everytime you leave the car to make sure some little scrote doesn't smash your window in to grab it (sucker marks on the windscreen are a nice advert to them), limited cabin and windscreen size in the TT, wires dangling over your legs an dash etc.

Of course Renault now seem to have an agreement with Tom-Tom according to their latest adverts so maybe we should all sell up and get Clio's for the best of both worlds!
I think the idea of Tom Tom within IPhone is a great idea and it is a great tool and it is an easier option than the RNS-E IMO, I simply pull the phone off of the Tom Tom car kit mount, but agreed nasty wires everywhere is a complete pain!

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
leenx said:
Thanks for this - I might have another go this week at trying to hide the wires, don't suppose you could take some pics and post what you did? would be really useful!
Here you go then...

Firstly mount the Tomtom on the right of the screen near the A pillar as shown below.

Open the drive'rs door and push the cable into the gap as shown below. It's probably quite secure in there but I've used the sticky pads to be sure. Leave enough slack at the Tomtom end to be able to dismount and remount the unit.

LOL There's not a lot of room to get a pic showing the rest of the routing but it' s pretty straightforward....

Route the cable over the steering column and push it well down into the gap between the column surround and the dashboard. Insert the Tomtom plug into the lighter socket.

Now - on the right side of the steering column take up the excess slack in the wire and push it well down and under the dashboard out of sight. Secure it there with whatever you use, but I used industrial strength Velcro pads which you can get from B&Q. Whatever you use, make sure it's good and sticky and up to the job. There isn't enough slack on the left of the steering column to cause any problems but you can secure it at that point too if you wish or you just want to look a bit tidier.

The nice thing about this position for the Tomtom unit is that it's just off your normal line of sight so it's convenient to glance at and no real distraction. It's also very convenient to use the touch screen with your right hand without stretching.

The standard Tomtom wire was just the perfect length without having to worry about any undue excess length - if you use your phone your mileage may be different.

There's probably an alternative route under the dashboard, but I couldn't be arsed to get the screwdriver out and this is literally a ten minute job and just as quick to remove.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
igotone said:
leenx said:
Here you go then...

Firstly mount the Tomtom on the right of the screen near the A pillar as shown below.

Open the drive'rs door and push the cable into the gap as shown below. It's probably quite secure in there but I've used the sticky pads to be sure. Leave enough slack at the Tomtom end to be able to dismount and remount the unit.

LOL There's not a lot of room to get a pic showing the rest of the routing but it' s pretty straightforward....

Route the cable over the steering column and push it well down into the gap between the column surround and the dashboard. Insert the Tomtom plug into the lighter socket.

Now - on the right side of the steering column take up the excess slack in the wire and push it well down and under the dashboard out of sight. Secure it there with whatever you use, but I used industrial strength Velcro pads which you can get from B&Q. Whatever you use, make sure it's good and sticky and up to the job. There isn't enough slack on the left of the steering column to cause any problems but you can secure it at that point too if you wish or you just want to look a bit tidier.

The nice thing about this position for the Tomtom unit is that it's just off your normal line of sight so it's convenient to glance at and no real distraction. It's also very convenient to use the touch screen with your right hand without stretching.

The standard Tomtom wire was just the perfect length without having to worry about any undue excess length - if you use your phone your mileage may be different.

There's probably an alternative route under the dashboard, but I couldn't be arsed to get the screwdriver out and this is literally a ten minute job and just as quick to remove.
Great stuff - thanks for that! I dont know why you dont stick with this set up rather than forking out £1k+ more for OEM sat nav?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Again coming in at the back of the debate.

If its of any use
I had a tomtom since they were launched and they are an excellent piece of kit for the money. Simple very easy to use and great value.

I had all the wires and a secondary power supply added behind the dash which cost £50 to do by a local firm, so im sure for that its a couple of hours labour to someone who knows what they are doing, they also mounted the microphone part of the tom tom (for the handsfree phone) to the central overhead light cluster. It was a superb job. To remove it simply disconnected the tom tom and mount and left two wires sticking out right in the corner pretty much as per the previous pictures.

My next TT already had the RNSe in when i bought it so ihad no decision to make. First thoughts the OEM look is visually wise by far the best one.
However i found it a big hassle to scroll through using the wheel for post code and street name etc. ( ive since had the SDS retro fitted which makes everything work a whole lot better) trying to fiddle with the navigation whilst driving not a good idea before!!! (not that i ever did... ahem)

The OEM sends me on sometime very bizarre routes when there is a simpler quicker shorter route. (and i dont mean on these small paths that you get sent on either)
So function wise tom tom .. touchscreen full post codes etc is the easiest to use.

However having had both i would still think the OEM one is the way forward especially if you get the MY10 model.
Looks the best, will no doubt make the car more saleable with it, its always on so if you are driving down the road not using nav and need to navigate around an obstruction its simply two buttons and you have the map on. tom tom you have to get it out of the glove box mount it wait for it to find satalites etc etc.

I would definitely explore the aftermarket pioneer kenwood ones as there seems to be alot of big fans on here.

Happy hunting.
Jono

·
Registered
21 Posts
My TomTom is setup exactly as the guy who posted the pics done, although I have a 4-port cigarette adapter hidden under the driver's seat.
This is doubly good as it means the 12V adapter is really tiny.
Will try and post a pic later.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
leenx said:
Great stuff - thanks for that! I dont know why you dont stick with this set up rather than forking out £1k+ more for OEM sat nav?
LOL. Well you do have a point, and to be honest, I've never had any probs with Tomtom - I find it a great unit.

The thing is I went to the dealership intending to order a new TT and get the satnav. In the event I got offered a great deal on this one they had in stock but without the sat nav.

I tend to keep my cars for just 3 years as I do like to have the warranty, and I do really fancy the RNS-E unit - probably with the SDS voice upgrade thingy too, so over 3 years the cost wouldn't be too bad.I could bullshit all day about resale value and all the rest of it - but it's just boys toys innit? :lol:

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
igotone said:
leenx said:
LOL. Well you do have a point, and to be honest, I've never had any probs with Tomtom - I find it a great unit.

The thing is I went to the dealership intending to order a new TT and get the satnav. In the event I got offered a great deal on this one they had in stock but without the sat nav.

I tend to keep my cars for just 3 years as I do like to have the warranty, and I do really fancy the RNS-E unit - probably with the SDS voice upgrade thingy too, so over 3 years the cost wouldn't be too bad.I could bullshit all day about resale value and all the rest of it - but it's just boys toys innit? :lol:
Yes - you hit the nail on the head :lol: :lol: - I know if I was in your shoes I'd do exactly the same! Can't take it with you! - the money I mean!! :lol: :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.