Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since next year all us 225 and above drivers will be funding the coffers by double tha amount we are paying now. For those looking for, and happy to keep a 225 at stock H.P it may be worth buying a 180 and mapping it.
I know it will cost around £400 to map, but just the satisfaction at keeping out of the chancellors grasp might be justification enough :evil:

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
:lol: :lol:

My 2000 225 has just appreciated... think the used price of older cars may increase :D

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Nice thought, but I think I'll stick with my 3.2 V6 :D :wink:
[smiley=dude.gif] Up yours Gordon Brown [smiley=dude.gif]
John.

·
Registered
247 Posts
whats the difference in the price of tax between the 180 and the 225 ??

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
oldmouldy said:
why not re register a 225 as a 180 possible engine swap on paperwork ???????
Because IIRC a 180 has higher emissions than a 225 :roll:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Duncdude said:
Since next year all us 225 and above drivers will be funding the coffers by double tha amount we are paying now. For those looking for, and happy to keep a 225 at stock H.P it may be worth buying a 180 and mapping it.
I know it will cost around £400 to map, but just the satisfaction at keeping out of the chancellors grasp might be justification enough :evil:
WOOOHOOOO - never thought i'd see the day where someone said this!

I love my 180 :) And wont cost me £400!

Erm... actually - does anyone know the exact price it will se me back?

·
Registered
886 Posts
We all spent much more than 400 quid on our cars per year.... am I the only one who is not overtly bothered by this?

If they did not raise the tax this way it would be another.. Most have the choice to drive or not.....

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Its Ken fuckin Livingstone whos to blame, we should park our cars out side the parliment..... Only cost us a £30 parking fine if ennough of us do it. Or if worse come to worse, just save £250 for the towers :lol:

·
Registered
239 Posts
GEM said:
Nice thought, but I think I'll stick with my 3.2 V6 :D :wink:
[smiley=dude.gif] Up yours Gordon Brown [smiley=dude.gif]
John.
Completely agree!!!

It will take more than a £200 hike to make enough difference.

In fact I will use mine more knowing I cna pollute with a clear conscience!!

:?

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Do you think they really want you off the road, or do you think they really want you to pay the massive price hike?

"Sticking it to 'em" is good for them, it gives them lots more revenue. A country wide dont drive, dont go to work, dont spend a penny day should be arranged. If everyone (or a large enough base of people) decided not to go to work for just 1 day... it'd cost the country millions... and it may be a shock tactic... but sometimes drastic action is whats needed.

·
Registered
9,031 Posts
PissTT said:
We all spent much more than 400 quid on our cars per year.... am I the only one who is not overtly bothered by this?

If they did not raise the tax this way it would be another.. Most have the choice to drive or not.....
It is the principle, we already pay substantially more tax than we when the current government came to power, most of it by stealth means.

The road fund licence should be abolished, it serves no purpose what so ever. MOT and Insurance is now logged by computer, so it is no longer an annual check of docs. To cover the loss of RFL there should be an increase in the cost of fuel.

The average driver doing 8000miles per year uses approx 1500ltrs of fuel, and increase of 12p per ltr would bring in the same amount of money (based on £180 RFL per year), a Range Rover doing the same mileage at 15mpg would bring in £360.

Conversely a Prius would bring in a minimal amount because of its so called "green" credentials.

Also foreign registered vehicles would pay their way on our roads.

·
Registered
748 Posts
mighTy Tee said:
PissTT said:

It is the principle, we already pay substantially more tax than we when the current government came to power, most of it by stealth means.

The road fund licence should be abolished, it serves no purpose what so ever. MOT and Insurance is now logged by computer, so it is no longer an annual check of docs. To cover the loss of RFL there should be an increase in the cost of fuel.

The average driver doing 8000miles per year uses approx 1500ltrs of fuel, and increase of 12p per ltr would bring in the same amount of money (based on £180 RFL per year), a Range Rover doing the same mileage at 15mpg would bring in £360.

Conversely a Prius would bring in a minimal amount because of its so called "green" credentials.

Also foreign registered vehicles would pay their way on our roads.
Well said, and I totally agree!!

·
Registered
886 Posts
People voted in this government and by democratic means reelected them.... Rising taxation was always on the agenda.....
The only decent thing they did was free up the Bank of England...

The road license has a purpose - to generate revenue.. I am not whinging coz ciggies and wine went up.. its my choice to decide whether I wish to smoke, drink or drive.....(not at the same time)

I would just as happy see it on petrol.. they will raise revenue one way or other...

My point is driving is not a divine right .. as such you chose whether you wish to play the government's game....

Agree that foriegn vehicles should pay - but then a Swiss style system is just as appropriate.... as a petrol levy.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
People dont always have a choice to drive or not, public transport isnt good enough or cheap enough to make a viable alternative. I'd have to get atleast 2 buses to work, god only knows how much longer that would take! **And buses arent cheap!

The government knows people NEED to drive, for work, to take kids to school, for business etc... and can charge near enough anything they want for RFL, petrol, pay as you drive etc and people will have to pay it.

If the government intend to reduce congestion by trying to price people off the road, that is going to be an unpopular route for them, and they can wave goodbye at the next election. This country is already one of the highest taxed countries to live in, and its getting worse... :x

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Duncdude said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :?

I think most guys on here want to go FORWARD with their TT`s NOT backwards. :wink:

·
Registered
752 Posts
prt225TT said:
People dont always have a choice to drive or not, public transport isnt good enough or cheap enough to make a viable alternative. I'd have to get atleast 2 buses to work, god only knows how much longer that would take! **And buses arent cheap!

The government knows people NEED to drive, for work, to take kids to school, for business etc... and can charge near enough anything they want for RFL, petrol, pay as you drive etc and people will have to pay it.

If the government intend to reduce congestion by trying to price people off the road, that is going to be an unpopular route for them, and they can wave goodbye at the next election. This country is already one of the highest taxed countries to live in, and its getting worse... :x
Don't get me worng, I'm totally against the RFL hike (in the way it has been implemented), but I've got to say driving is definately a CHOICE not a NEED or a right.
I can see where you are coming from. For most people a move away from owning a car has a huge impact on their lives, jobs etc. But you can still choose not to drive. Or you can Choose to pay the extra.

I personally think it is about a system of taxation that is transparent, proportionate and fair. A levy on fuel would have been all of these things. Why the government decided to do it in this way is completely beyond me. It is completely out of order. I can still choose to decrease my standard of living and convenience by selling my car and using the train. I don't want to, but it is a choice.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I think the real problem is the fact that the government are bullying people out of their cars that they have worked hard for. £400 for road tax isn't going to mean a thing for someone who earns £100k pa and drives 30k miles a year, but someone who has worked hard on a more modest salary are going to find this tax hike the final nail in the coffin.

I for one am planning on selling my TT next year and am going to buy a 911 with much higher emissions, but since it will more then likely be a 2000 model then I will be exempt from the new tax prices. Was always planning on buying a 911, but will be buying it allot sooner thanks to the government so my carbon footprint will be getting bigger :!:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.