Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
4,806 Posts
Roof care...I really don't rate the AG stuff. Costly and not very effective. My thoughts:

To clean your hood:
Bucket, warm water and some Johnsons Baby Bath.
Brush hood with hand brush.
Soak hood with water and baby bath - work in solution using handbrush.
Rinse with a free flow of water from a hose.
Allow to dry and re-proof.

Mould - Green mould? Use Milton baby bottle sterilising tablets and a soft toothbrush. The fluid will kill any mould spores.

Re-proof - Fabsil is your friend...camping outdoor type shops, 2.5lts for around £13.00.
Apply to a DRY hood with a 2" paintbrush, avoid splashing on paintwork (it won't damage paint - just messy!)
It does have a "restorative" effect deepening colour and giving it a new(er) look.

"Renovo" make hood colouring kits, really needa lot of care in use if you don't want to make a complete hash of your hood. I'd avoid using it

Bird Sh*t on roof? Carry a bottle of carbonated water and some kitchen towel, wipe off what you an with paper towel and trickle fizzy water over affected area...bubbles will lift cr*p out of hood fabric

Dave

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Check out this link for info on what I used and some advice from another member about applying it all:

http://www.********.co.uk/ttforumbbs/vi ... highlight=

I had greenish patches here and there to begin with, was a lot of hard work painting on all the stuff but the end results are very good. The hood is now deep black and repels water like a duck :p

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Jac-in-a-Box said:
"Renovo" make hood colouring kits, really needa lot of care in use if you don't want to make a complete hash of your hood. I'd avoid using it
To add to that, youd have to be a bit of a spanner with the Renovo products to get it wrong. It takes a bit of time and you need to have a couple of days of dry weather, but youd be hard pressed to balls it up.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Use a sponge and the 'magic liquid' Johnsons Baby Bath, in warm water

·
4,806 Posts
Snake TT said:
Jac-in-a-Box said:
To add to that, youd have to be a bit of a spanner with the Renovo products to get it wrong. It takes a bit of time and you need to have a couple of days of dry weather, but youd be hard pressed to balls it up.
My advice is given after seeing the efforts of several customers best efforts at applying Renovo - a mess; both by my judgement and their admission...guess they're "spanners" for "ballsing it up" :roll:

If the guy wants a simple, inexpensive, effective and virtually foolproof method of resolving his problems, then in my limited experience I'd suggest he follows my advice :wink:

Dave

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Jac-in-a-Box said:
Snake TT said:
Jac-in-a-Box said:
My advice is given after seeing the efforts of several customers best efforts at applying Renovo - a mess; both by my judgement and their admission...guess they're "spanners" for "ballsing it up" :roll:

If the guy wants a simple, inexpensive, effective and virtually foolproof method of resolving his problems, then in my limited experience I'd suggest he follows my advice :wink:

Dave
Id be amazed at how they turned out a mess, how is that even possible? :?

Im MY limited experience if you have two working arms (and admittedly a back of steel required for all the awkward hunching over the car), have used a paintbrush before, and understand the concept of painting something evenly then Id love to know just what exactly went wrong?

Can you supply any pics of the mess? I can supply a pic of an impressively restored soft top 8)

·
Registered
108 Posts
How's the weather up there?

Mould is not such a problem here in Oz but we still have our fair share of "feathered bombers" :wink:

I've been using a cleaner/proofing kit from 303 Products in the "States" and swear by it. The cleaner is a high tech stuff - ph balanced like Johnsons - and residue free in my experience.

The 'reproof' is a simple and undetectable spray application. Water still 'beading' and running off 5 months after last application (and quite a few washes)

Have a look at
http://www.303-products.com

Stats

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Okay here are the pics as promised. Baring in mind that the top was restored with the Renovo products around a month ago, and since then its p*ssed down almost non stop. Unfortunately I dont have before pics for comparison.

Any marks you see in the pics are wear on the hood itself caused by the dreaded rubbing when the top has been down over the years.

As I said, I fail to understand how these products could make a 'mess' of your hood unless you have been completely careless during application, and even then it really would take some doing.

Not bad for an 8 year old soft top is it? 8)

Sorry about the number of large pics, but its not easy to really capture it with just one.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Adam TTR said:
wow, looks lovely.... ive got renovo here, gotta get round to doing mine
Glad you like Adam, I was very pleased with the results even tho the bad back that lasted 2 days afterwards made me say "Im never doing that again!" - I suppose thats what I get for sitting at a computer every day and not getting enough excercise :?

Even if I did it once a year its no so bad I suppose.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.